Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A frame lenses, guidance required

Poster: A snowHead
I will start off by acknowledging that I will upset and optician, opthalmologist or general know-all but.......

I have a pair of a-frames (best goggles I have ever owned, comfy, fit well with a lid etc) with persimmon lenses in. I'm not a fan of skiing in sunglasses (because I'm a fussy so and so) and would like to buy a new lens to go in them, to take both lenses and swap them over if it's all bright and shiny outside, where the persimmon work wonderfully in low(ish) light

Which lenses, in your opinion(s) (unless you own a goggle supplier and want my money) would be the best to get for lovely blue sky bright days?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
temitchell for what it's worth I have one pair of goggles (A-frame), one lens - a yellow one (is that persimmon?) and wear them all the time no matter what the conditions. There are only a few days a year where it is bright bright sunshine all day with no chance of cloud, trees, snow, face plant changing the outlook.

But I'm probably missing something amazing from other types of lens.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
temitchell, I have and would recommend the Black Iridium lens for bright days. I also have the persimmon for cloudy or snowy days, and swap them over as needed. The swap process is quick and easy, so the only hassle is carrying the spare lens with you and not landing on it too often.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tiger2, +2 pairs Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for black iridium, one pair of gogs and change lens.

Out of interest, why do you think your question will upset folk? it's a reasonable (and oft asked) question.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
temitchell, What helmet do you wear with the A frames? Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
temitchell, I wear A Frame Oakleys with 3 lens configurations, ie 2 spare lenses. Swapping lenses is no problem. I ski most of the time with VR28 Polarised (persimmon just as good), and also have a black Iridium (also polarised) for bluebird days. For fog/ whiteouts a yellow lens (cheap non polarised). Used to have a Giro 10 helmet but now have a Smith Variant helmet, works great with the A Frames. The polarised is well worth the extra cost, snow surface visibility is brilliant even in flat-ish light (like skiing in HD).............I use London Eyewear mail order, Abi is (was 2 years ago) the contact.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given the cost of lenses relative to the frames, it might well be worth getting a second complete set of goggles. It'll be significantly easier to swap, especially if you're out and about and the weather is changeable. Just a thought.

Tiger2 wrote:
one lens - a yellow one (is that persimmon?) and wear them all the time no matter what the

Hi-yellow is clearer than persimmon (which is pinky orange). I've got a persimmon lens which I use all the time; its not awesome in flat light but then almost nothing is.

Markymark29 wrote:
The polarised is well worth the extra cost

Aren't there some issues with reflected light and polarised lenses? eg, icy patches are harder to see through polarised lenses because the sunlight reflecting off them has a different polarisation than direct light, and is attenuated more. I guess its only a small downside, and I've not had the opportunity to investigate it for myself!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh, how big are your pockets??? I struggle to find space for a spare lens never mind a whole set of goggles Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ousekjarr wrote:
Serriadh, how big are your pockets??? I struggle to find space for a spare lens never mind a whole set of goggles Shocked

Heh, fair enough. I carry a little rucksack when I'm expecting changeable weather; something big enough to fit a microfleece or lightweight shell in, but small enough that I can fit on the lift without having to mess around taking it off first.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jivebaby, saloman cruiser, got for a cheeky bargain in a snow and rock discount day
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Serriadh, not if you've found a dirt cheap online site that sells replacement frames
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, I've read other threads RE goggle lenses and there always seems to be someone start talking about light spectrums and how you can never get lenses to cover everything and that if you try you will fry your retinas and probably die blind on a mountain
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
temitchell, LOL - I would say that you'll get very squinty if you use persimmon for extended days when it's bright - I did, but in Oakley half jacket sunnies so maybe there was light getting in the sides - but others don't seem to have the problem. I hear that pink is a good all round colour I'm thinking of getting a spare lens.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Black Iridium is great on fully bright days, though I've also got a VR28 for my A Frames which as it is slightly lighter I find it copes better in slightly duller light (but still gives me no issues when its bright)
latest report
holidayloverxx, I did get particularly squinty in march last year, hence this thread.

willc, The VR28 is close to being ordered and your post may have sealed the deal

Gracias snowfaces
ski holidays
temitchell, I use the A frames with Persimmon in flat light and have historically switched to gold iridium on brighter days. Just bought a new pair of A frames with black iridium polarised after wearing sunnies with these lenses for a couple of years.

I'm pretty sure they will be the mutts judging by the sunglass lenses and as Serriadh says you can find deals that makes buying the frames as well almost as cheap. (I did crack a lense trying to swap on a chair lift on a cold day....)
latest report
Got the emerald iridium lenses ordered, £49.99
snow conditions
temitchell wrote:
Got the emerald iridium lenses ordered, £49.99

That's fine for bluebird very bright days.
latest report
Been using a frames for the last 3 years.
Use hi-viz yellow for flat light and mixed bag days. Then I have black iridium for blue bird days.
I find that the hi viz gets used about 90% of the time and only use the black iriduim on out and out sunny days. I also have the vr28 lens but I never really use it. If I only had 1 lens it would be the hi viz yellow.

Have 2 pairs of a frames with the 3 above mentioned lenses.
snow report
temitchell, mate, you might have already gone ahead but if you can get to the Oakley outlet in Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth there are some silly cheap bits of kit there. Lenses are the expensive bit of goggles as the others have said, the frame is foam, elastic and plastic i.e. p iss cheap. A second set would make life easier as A-frames aren't bonkers expensive anyway. You can get new lenses from freezeproshop.com pretty cheaply. There's a thread on here about that, along with a 10% off code (effectively free postage).
ski holidays
Oh yeah, and fire iridium look sweet as: hence I have one in my crowbars. Mint eh!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy