Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are women's jackets so bulky this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Or maybe they are every year? I've been looking for a replacement for about a year now and haven't found anything that seems that suitable.

My current jacket is a HH 3 in 1 - a fairly substantial shell with zip-out insulation. It's a good jacket that has seen better days, but "will do" for now - it would be nice to replace it, if I can ever find anything! The 3 in 1 aspect makes for a more bulky piece of clothing, and I would prefer something more fitted. I usually wear a base layer, thin fleece jumper and shell only - the insulation tends to only go to the pub, so I can probably do without.

So is there anything out there that doesn't fit in the super-duper all-in-one mega insulated shell category?! I noticed on another thread earlier the suggestion that men would rather be cold on lifts and warm up to ski while women would rather be too warm and get sweaty - is this what the manufacturer's think too? Personally, I hate being sweaty (= wet and cold), and don't do too badly in just the shell, so why take extra bulk?

Any suggestions? Obviously, even if I manage to find the elusive magic jacket, it still needs to fit, but that's a whole other thread Confused

Budget-wise, this is a jacket "upgrade" I suppose, and I'd rather pay once to get it right than get it fast. Quality is important, and I'm prepared to stretch to an arm, but not a leg as well Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet, I am extremely fussy about jacket fit, and I don't like bulky jackets, but like a little insulation. I have a North Face Jacket and have just ordered another TNF Decagon. T he hood fits really well over your helmet too, which many ski jackets don't. The Hyvent 23K, which whilst not Gortex is really good at keeping the wind and water out, and the material is tuff. I hate the triclimate jackets as they are uncomfortable!

http://www.surfmountain.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40554
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet, Mens jackets are just the same and, like you, I hate bulky padded jackets. I also hate the prices charged when the "ski" word is attached to clothing. I buy hiking gear instead. You can get it very lightweight, breathable and much, much cheaper. Just add base layers/fleece etc to suit the weather.

Ok, you won't get a powder skirt built in and there aren't so many useful pockets, but if you don't need those then save yourself a whole load of cash.

My current jacket is also Helly Hansen and came from Blacks for less thsn £70. Search on ebay for - Helly Hansen Anchorage
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, maybe I'll give that one a try - I had overlooked it because of all the flappy pockets (one on each er... boob Shocked ) Are they fairly secure though, like zips would be? I can land in snow in all kinds of directions...

I have a pair of TNF trousers, which I think are the same fabric and seem pretty waterproof, so no issues there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet, I had initially given this one a miss for the same reasons, the flappy pockets! However, after trying the Green a size small, i was surprised it fitted really well. Last season I couldn't fit in the Small, and had to go for Medium, whcih was a little too big. My previous TNF jacket is green and I still like it, so have ordered this one in the Potion Blue colour.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just look for anything that's described as a shell, it will have no bulk at all and as above don't just look for ski jackets, anything that's Goretex, eVent, hyVent etc will do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not only are they all bulky but the colours are pretty awful too! I've had the same jacket (Animal) for about 6 years now - every member of the group I ski with are on either their second or third replacement by now - I just can't find anything I like over the jacket I have - so for now I'll be sticking with it for another holiday.

But Scarlett if you get chance to visit Cheshire Oaks they do get some good bargains in - O'Neill are quite good. I've spotted a few nices ones in there but just not quite hit the spot compared to my current jacket.
Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I cant understand this notion that all womens ski wear has to be in pastel colours. It drives me crazy. Guys kit it so much nicer in both colour and style but a total no go due to size. It is my biggest bug-bear about skiing, even womens ski's are often covered in pretty pastel flowery designs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Karis., couldn't agree more
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^http://www.norrona.com/Concepts
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Karis., Yes, quite. Not frequenting the slopes looking like a sweaty, top-heavy, overheating, short-a*se Michelin-woman is high up my list of priorities, but I fear you are correct in your assumption that when (if) I find a well-fitting petite jacket, it will of course only come in baby blue. With butterflies.

I didn't want to waffle any more in my OP, but yes, it is also important that the jacket looks good with my day-glo yellow trousers Cool

Alans deep bath, Yes, these are more the kind of thing, though I would need to sell a kidney or similar to afford one (is anything similar to a kidney...)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy