Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Co-Op insurance Warning

Poster: A snowHead
We have a policy with our Co-Op Premier Privilage account, with insurance from Axa. I dug the policy out and then quired it with the helpline at both the bank and Axa.

The policy states
skiing (on or off piste (with a guide))

So if I ski on a piste I need a guide!!!!!!!!
I was going to find a girl guide and see if that will do.

Now this insurance is starting to get silly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's the sad world we live in unfortunately
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
k1orange, that "(with a guide)" almost certainly refers to the "off piste". Just not well written.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
" and then quired it with the helpline at both the bank and Axa"

I'm assuming k1orange has been told its with a guide even on piste???
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes with a guide even on piste
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IMHO I suspect the parenthese are in the wrong place. It shoould read "skiing on piste or (off piste with a guide)". I love it when regulations are written in the form A or B and C there is lovely abiquity.

John
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
k1orange, interesting, our travel insurance is with Smile (co-op) and have just checked the policy woding, is exactly the same.

Now I've always read it as insured on piste, or off piste with a guide

Do you have an email reply from Co Op you could post here (names removed)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no e-mail, just lots of phone calls
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have just emailed Customer Services to ask for written clarification so will let you know what I get
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ask them what "abiquity" means when you're at it. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
ask them what "abiquity" means when you're at it. wink

followed rapidly by 'Moral Turpitude' - I always tick that box when I'm doing the US landing card and for the last 21 years never had any idea whether I was guilty of it or not..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
k1orange wrote:
no e-mail, just lots of phone calls

Much better to get something in writing. First because it gives you some evidence, but more importantly because they will probably actually take the trouble to find out the real answer, rather than somebody on teh end of teh phone weho doesn't know just making one up.

I don't think the co-op (or probably any other insurance company) are quite immoral enough to sell a winter sports policy that would be invalid for well over 90% of those buying it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Much better to get something in writing

entirely agree but exceptionally difficult these days. I have failed on several occasions with several different companies to get anything in writing at all. Even, on one occasion, when I was told that a particular motor policy covered unlimited days driving in Europe (provided not more than half the year), I wrote to them, saying this aspect was "of the essence of the contract" for me and asking that it be confirmed in writing. They never even replied. I subsequently found out, only when renewing and speaking to a less dopey person, that this was NOT the case. didn't renew, but had been driving uninsured in Europe for some of our trips. Shocked If there had been a problem they would no doubt have denied ever receiving my letter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hiya - I've also got one of these policies. the offending wording is on p. 28 here http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/cfscombi/pdf/bank/Priv_PrivPrem_TravelInsSummary.pdf.

Called Axa's helpline (+44(0) 844 811 0925) - they've confirmed wording refers to off piste with a guide, not on piste.

Fortunately, with my current level of skill, there's no chance of me going off piste in the next few years.. but I'll have a chat, and see if they can sort out this poor wording.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have the same Axa policy with LTSB.

It only refers to off piste and is worded correctly in the LTSB document. Axa are very helpful with any queries and have a good reputation for their performance, when it is needed.
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
followed rapidly by 'Moral Turpitude' - I always tick that box when I'm doing the US landing card and for the last 21 years never had any idea whether I was guilty of it or not..

For the US entry card think of it as being against what you would think is morally correct. So if you're arrested for fraud (for example), you're supposed to tick the box for "yes".

In fact, here's a list. I guess this means if you have been arrested or convicted of a crime that's not on the list and doesn't qualify under the other items in that section of the card then you can tick "no"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude#U.S._government_guidance_on_determining_moral_turpitude
snow report
Syx wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

For the US entry card think of it as being against what you would think is morally correct. So if you're arrested for fraud (for example), you're supposed to tick the box for "yes".

In fact, here's a list. I guess this means if you have been arrested or convicted of a crime that's not on the list and doesn't qualify under the other items in that section of the card then you can tick "no"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude#U.S._government_guidance_on_determining_moral_turpitude

... So it's not some form of eco-fiendly substitute for the stuff you wash brushes in then?
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
Syx wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

... So it's not some form of eco-fiendly substitute for the stuff you wash brushes in then?

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Email response

In response to you email query below. I can confirm that I have spoken to
our underwriting team and you would only require a guide for off Piste
skiing.

I accept your comments regarding the ambiguous nature of the layout in the
policy wording and have asked this to be amended for future publications.

I trust that this satisfies your query.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance.

Kind Regards

Dear Sir/Madam

I am hoping that you could clarify some confusion regarding the wording of
our travel insurance - we have a policy with you, provided as part of our
Smile Bank Account

With regard to Winter sports, it says that cover is provided for "Skiing
(on or off piste (with a guide))"

Now I read that as cover is provided for skiing on piste, or off-piste with
a guide. I.e. a guide isnt required if skiing on piste. However, a recent
online discussion on ski insurance has suggested that this actually means a
guide is required for skiing both on and off piste.

I would be grateful if you could clarify the meaning

Regards
Quote:
snow conditions
Boris, I've just had a look at the policy, and IMHO there are more things wrong with the ski-ing part than that.

A very faint footnote mark indicates that for many snow-related activities, personal liability and personal accident cover are excluded. To name but two, this appears to apply to cross-country ski-ing and glacier ski-ing.

In the introduction to that part it also says this:

"You must accept and follow the supervision and tuition of experts qualified in the pursuit or activity in question and you must use all appropriate precautions, equipment and eye protection. Disregarding such advice and precautions may invalidate any claim you make."

Which suggests to me that you are not covered unless you ski with supervision and tuition.

It also says in the definitions:
"Sports Activities and Winter Sports Activities
– the activities listed on page 27 for which your participation in during your holiday is not the sole or main reason for your trip. During a winter holiday the Winter Sports Activities detailed are covered by your policy." (My underlining). I think that's confusing too and could be read to imply that ski-ing holidays are not covered only "winter holidays when you do a bit of ski-ing.

Pity - because I like the Co-op and put a bit of business their way and would like to use them more.
ski holidays
(disclaimer - I work for the coop bank, but any opinions expressed are my own etc..)

@Nordicfan - think the key word is may invalidate any claim.. (my emphasis). This is a general comment about following instructions / advice eg you wouldnt be insured in conditions where locals advise you shouldnt ski; you should wear sensible gear. Can't find the wording about holiday purpose on my copy of the policy. Does seem a bit harsh excluding Cross Country from Personal Accident / Liability though.

The AXA call centre clarified stuff and put my mind at rest in terms of my own cover (AXA provide the policy on behalf of the coop for package Bank accounts, which is why the Bank guys might struggle with this kind of detail).

Can't comment on coop travel - would guess their policy's different.

I suppose best advice is to check individually if the policy suits you - It seemed pretty good last time I checked in comparison with the likes of M&S annual trip etc.

The guy I contacted has confirmed we'll look at the dicey wording next time the policy's updated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy