Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MCL Injury, What Support?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry folks if this has been asked before, but the search function isn’t working on my office computer browser.

Back in the summer of 2011 I managed to injure my MCL ligament during some stag do shananigans (don’t ask) now even four and a bit months later I still get the odd twinge of pain from it.
I’m booked skiing for the first week of March and decided a support might be a good idea for avoiding re-injuring the same knee, and keeping things going (at least until I’m fully back to 100%).

Anyone experienced anything similar and got any good recommendations for types/brands of supports, hinged or not etc?

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cinglis, Get on the bike and go swimming rather than waste your dosh on an OTC brace/knee support. It will also help you enjoy the skiing much more as well.

The MCL has a good blood supply and heals well, if somewhat slowly for some. Recognise the difference between "ouch that hurts and is doing me no good" pain and the "ouch that hurts I haven't moved in yonks" pain. The former should cause you to stop, ice and maybe resort to a professional and the latter tells you it is too long since your last exercise. Most conservative treatments of MCL involve mobilising but not overloading with high resistance or twisting motion.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cinglis, second what told already. I had months of post-injury twinges before MRI scan confirmed my MCL was done in and surgery required. All my physios advised me not to use support but concentrate on strengthening quad and calf muscles. Lots of swimming and cross trainer before moving back to full impact then started running before resuming wakeboarding and skiing.

Skied last 2 seasons all mountain (tho tend to avoid icy moguls nowadays) and found that when cutting down pistes to get to deep stuff, wide skis did stress knee slightly - rockered ski helped address this. Other than that no real problems other than occasional twinge at end of day or when very cold. I often just wear a pair of thermal compression leggings under shell layer and find it helps me - option to consider as opposed to full fledged support as I found that it feels like work other muscles slightly harder to compensate.

Good Luck
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice people,

I'm already very active, mainly in MTB riding, and I was back on the bike within a month of the initial injury and ride at least once a week at the moment (Edinburgh weather allowing, 100 mph winds and cycling aren't going hand in hand at the moment). And it's not just gentle pedaling around the park that I get up too.

As you said SD2010, it's very much the odd twinge, when kneeling down to pick something up for example, thanks for pointing that out.

The idea of the support was very much a back-up to avoid ruining my week away on the first hard run. From what I've read I'll ditch that idea and carry on building the strength.

Thanks,
C
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cinglis, The twinges may be due to tissue adherence from the healing process. Cross friction the point of pain yourself to see if it improves. If fully healed you won't need any support. You might consider off loading the ligament with Kinetic Taping, which will also serve to give you confidence when doing sports.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy