Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blister on heel in new boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My girlfriend has new fitted boots - actually fitted almost 2 years ago but never skied in yet due to cancelling last years holiday - anyway she had some issues with them so we went back to the shop where they kindly tweaked them to fit a bit better.

Now she is complaining of them rubbing on one heel and causing blisters. I'd prefer not to bother the guys in the shop again due to them going above and beyond what was expected last time we called, but, although i'm certainly no expert the fact they rub definitely doesn't seem right to me - surely there should be minimal or no movement at all within the boot, I've also recently had boots fitted and they fit perfectly, if anything they are worryingly comfy!!!. I've looked and she does indeed have a red blotch where they rub (so she's not making it up or being a drama queen).

We go out on Sunday, so have a few days to get this sorted. She has bought "blister plasters" but I'm thinking another visit to my boot fitter friends is a better idea.

Any advice please? By the way we are not experts at all, only been twice, so we're still not sure what aches and pain are normal and acceptable and what need sorting

Thanks for any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
someone far more qualified and experienced will be along shortly.

first things to check

Is she wearing good quality proper ski socks of the correct size and appropriate thickness?
Is the liner in straight with no kinks or creases or crumples?

if they are rubbing and causing blisters but have not been ski'd in how do you know they are causing blisters? Also remember ski boots are meant to be ski'd in and not walked in so if the sore bits are from walking round the house that may not be an issue if skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it takes friction to create a blister so there must be movement,

1 make sure the socks are a good tech sock as above and not got any wrinkles
2 get the ankle clip 2nd from top really nice and tight to secure the foot at the back of the boot
3 if there is excess space around the heel then a wrap of fitting foam around it may just be enough to tighten things up a little and stop the lift
4 if she has a lump (spur) on the back of the heel it may be that the shell of the boot needs to be ground out a little to create a pocket for it to sit in
5 if she has a tight calf muscle it may be that this is pulling the heel out of the boot and a heel lift is required

i would go see the fitter, it will only take a few minutes to check all of the above and fit a bit of padding if needed to secure the foot
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take the liner out and see how much room is in the boot when she has her foot in and touching the front, then let us know Puzzled

Then book an appointment with Colin (CEM here) at solutions4feet.co.uk Madeye-Smiley as soon as you can!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys!!

I'll try and answer in order....

Ansta 1
Yes we have got good quality ski socks and last night i got her to try both on as they are slightly a different thickness - one smartwool and the other northface, so i "think" decent quality.

The liner felt fine to me but as i said i'm no expert although i couldn't feel anything i'd class as wrong

i mentioned to girlfriend the boots are for skiing not walking - the "blister" is caused by simply wearing them in the house for a while, something the fitter asked us to do, probably for this reason

CEM
I'll try the 2nd clip idea tonight

All your other solutions are for the fitter i'd expect so i'll give tip 1 a go first then see how we go.

By the way, is the fact that my boots are very comfy anything to be concerned about? I know this sounds a bit crazy but i was expecting some discomfort, saying that i do have 1 pressure point on the top of my foot - this doesn't give me pain as such more slight discomfort but its there none the less, as i've siad this is only due to wearing them in the house, and so is it more of a concern when i'd be skiing?? Again i don't want to bother the bootfitter unless necessary.

I'm worried i'm going to get skiing and the boots will slacken off a lot!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
by the way, the bootfitter we used is excellent and i can't praise him highly enough. The reason i haven't named them is because i don't want this to appear as negative towards them at all
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just go back to the fitter again - it's his job to get boots to fit, if they don't fit properly then his job's not finished...

If he is excellent then he shouldn't mind either!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy some compeed. If all this doesnt work then you will need these bad boys so her feet aren't ruined!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy