Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet or package????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow Snowheads,

Tis the time of year to start panicing about where me and my gang are going to ski this year!

I could really use some help trying to sort it out!

there are 8 of us, and we obviously like everyone else in the whole world want it as cheap as possible!! Smile
I was thinking of maybe booking a chalet for us, and driving??? so france would be the likely candidate??

have looked at st martin but not sure about the snow as we wont be going until 3rd march, ive been sking a few times but my old brain just cant remember if ive been this late in the season, or if it was snowy!! think i have been to austria this late and it was fine mostly, a bit slushy at the bottom, but st martin is quiet low?? lol

sad thing is im only 34!!!!!! think ive pickled my brain during the probably more successful apres ski! see cant even remember that!!! Smile

if anyone has any idea's about st martin, or of a good chalet in france?? or even a good hire company for a large minibus and anything you think im missing, and should be shot before considering this!!! Smile

as usual, you have my ever greatful appreciation snowheads!!!!

Sam.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 March is absolutely peak season - so, of course, it is also French school holidays! Historically probably the best chance of good snow - but, on the other hand, actual snow rarely mirrors the "average".

If you want really cheap, and have a gang, look at Action Outdoors holidays in UCPA Centres in France - everything for less than £700.

Apart from cheap, what else do you want? what kind of skiing?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As pam w says, 3rd March is in no way late in the season. It is probably the most reliable time of the season for the best snow cover.

Top fact - contrary to popular belief, February is statistically the coldest month of the year, hence end of Feb/beginning of March often have the best snow conditions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevomcd, any fule kno that Feb is coldest month!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well knowing that there will be snow is pretty much everywhere is good to know! Smile

As for what we want, tbh as long as we can walk/free bus to the lifts and there is a bar near by then we are set! The group is pretty much new to skiing, but have all picked it up very quickly and can ski reds ok, but probably prefer blues! Pas was our last trip, which was great although it didn't snow so not all the runs we're open. I think cost will be key, but self catering as we like to have a wander... But then to totally contradict that, if we were able to get a decent chalet on the slope we would happily stay in a get drunk talking about how many times I fell over!! Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check out Alpine Elements. You should be able to pick up a catered deal (with flights and transfers) for sensible money, probably with sole occupancy. Or see what self-catering offers are kicking about on snowtrex.

But then again you didn't really say what 'cheap as possible' means. What's your budget?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
stevomcd, any fule kno that Feb is coldest month!

red 27. I vote you to start & curate the Ronald Searle RIP thread. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alexsam97, well the UCPA packages include (very good) tuition which is probably the best way of ensuring that you can fall over less and get to enjoy skiing red runs!

Driving isn't very cheap, especially if you have to hire a minibus.

Any resort website will have loads of links to accommodation though because it's French school holidays there might not be huge choice left. You might also find it a bit hard to get an apartment which will sleep 8.

In the UK Erna Low and Peak Retreats to packages with apartments and ferry crossings etc

Or you could look to get a cheap chalet or s/c package at the last minute, given that you are very flexible about where you want to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, chiz moan drone
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ah didnt know the french school hols run over the 3rd? when do they start and finish so maybe we can tweek dates around them??

budget wise, probably 500 max all in, but that is upper limit, would like as much under that as possible! ive managed this alot before, infact i think ive only ever paid more than that once, and that was a hotel with just me and the wife! like i said tho, food and lessons isnt the big problem, they are nice extra's.

just need to get there, get ski's, passes, accom and then get on the snow! Smile

il have a shop around snowtrex, ive heard of them before, i did look at ucpa, and that sounds really good, if we defo had the extra cash, but its gonna be a push this year anyway, i just hate missing out on a season!! Smile

hope i dont sound like a big cheapskate who wants everything for nothing!! Smile
if i do, dont tell me!! lol
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did a self drive holiday to St. Martin in April a few years ago. Sorted out a lovely apartment for 8 via the resort web site. The snow was heavey towards the bottom in the afternoon and on at least 2 occaisions I took the telecabin down.

IMHO early March is the height of the season.

As to driving. I thing you will find 2 cars more comfortable and cheeper than using a minibus. It has been sometime since I took a minibus (defined as more than 8 seats) to mainland Europe, but I needed a way leave and a tackograph. It is also not very comfortable over long distances for the passengers.

John
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks johnE, thats a very good bit of info, il look into us taking 2 cars. st martin has some lovely chalets to rent, and not bad prices, but ive only ever booked a ski hols this way once before, and it was a bit nerve recking, especially when id sorted transfers for £80, only to see him hit the meter when we left the airport, and it went up to £210!! crapped myself, got to £150 and i had bitten my nails down to the nubs before i got the courage to ask him if that was what he was charging us!! luckily, it wasnt!! lol he just had to have it on for his firm!! lol
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alexsam97, French school hols are mid Feb - mid March.

You can do UCPA holidays without tuition - £595 in Les Deux Alps in March, for example. And that DOES include food!! It would be very hard to do it cheaper. Lessons might be an optional extra, but food is pretty essential!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i cant find the non tuition hols with upca?? i do like the deal, and like you said you cant go far wrong with what it includes, plus you can upgrade to a twin room!

il see if i can twist a few ppls arms!! Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alexsam97, I think those are the ones that say "autonome" - not sure, though. ring Action Outdoors and ask them - they're helpful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy