Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much clothing to take?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Happy New Year to you all.

Quick question for you. When packing for a weeks ski trip I always end up taking too much ski clothing with the result that some comes back clean and unworn. Whilst good news for the washing machine on return this is not such good news for my poor arms lugging gear around I don't use !!
This year I am proposing to pack the following ski clothing for a weeks trip in mid January;

3x Thermal base layers
2x Micro fleeces (100 weight)
1x Zip in compatable fleece (200 weight)
1x Shell ski jacket
1x Sallopettes
1x thermal leggings
6x ski socks
1x gloves and liners

Does this sound too much again? Be interesting to canvas some opinion Very Happy

Griggs
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Griggs, We haven't done this for a while! You only need 3 pairs of socks. Others will say one will do wink.

maybe 2 pairs of leggings? I also take a buff and a thermal vest (but maybe you don't feel the cold)

Someone will also suggest spare gloves. I take the view that if I lose a pair I'll buy some, if they are wet they'll dry overnight.

Your list is pretty similar to mine
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds about right to me apart from the socks. Definitely add a buff and maybe a hat for when you take your helmet off.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go easy on the socks. Normally I take only 2 pairs for 7 days or longer. I also take only one base layerbut I also take a hat cos my head gets cold somedays.

We had an interesting discussion on our last ski holiday. We men were amazed about how clothing the women wore. The general concencus was that the men didn't mind being really cold on the lifts as they knew they would warm up on the runs. However they did not want to perspire at any point. The women wanted to be warm on the lift and had no objection to sweating on th runs. The sample is too small to draw any conclusions about differences between sexes but did indicate two different ideas about dressing for skiing.

John
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am woman and have assumed that Griggs is a man hence my taking a thermal vest wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can smell bad whilst skiing. Wink

For a week I'd just take one of everything apart from a spare pair of socks and a spare pair of gloves. It's nice to alternate socks between days and spare gloves are always useful. Gloves because you can wear them out if its cold apres and your main pair of gloves are still drying for the next day plus if you lose your glove(s) on the mountain then you have a spare pair to ski down in. I like to carry the 'power stretch' style gloves as they don't take up much room, are pretty windproof and I've found them to work pretty well in temps getting down around -10C as long as I'm active.

As eithnem says a hat and buff like thing would add to your comfort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Me:-
1 pair of ski pants
1 jacket (Goretex shell)
2 spyder dry web tops
1 pair of gloves
2 pairs of ski socks
1 pair thermal leggings
1 thin mid layer 600 fill down gillet (goes under the shell jacket)

That's my January set up, march skiing is the same minus the thin down mid layer as I find the spyder dry web tops enough with the jacket for march skiing. Bit chilly on some lifts in the morning but fine when going and as the march mid day sun warms up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could just do 2 thermal base layers - they will wash and dry really easily.
I would also always take a silk balaclava and neoprene face mask in case it's really cold - but then I'm one of those sweaty ladies who dislikes freezing on chairlifts. wink

It's easy to take far too many "evening" options, and too much footwear. When I did public transport ski trips I could put the lot in my skibag and bootbag. But current airline baggage rules might mess up that plan.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only 1 micro fleece.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Only 1 micro fleece.

A bit risque! Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2 pairs of gloves, one to wear one to dry out. Agree with the socks shouldn't were same pair twice without washing and who wants to do that. See itchy leg thread elsewhere. Face mask, balaclava, 3 hats.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
managed to fill a 4x4 for a 2 night trip recently..but then i'm a pounce and have far to many outfits rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi
Thank you so much for your input! So useful. Sounds as though I am on the right track now - will add a hat into the mix as well. Hopefully now less clothing will come back unused!
Off to Les Arcs on the 22 January staying at Arcs 2000 in Club Med so if anyone sees a bloke skiing around in a blue North Face Gortex jacket and North Face green sallopetes on bright orange Salomon Crossmax V12 skis say hi !
Griggs
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Griggs, Similar to yours but I change my socks every day, take a spare pair of gloves, in case I or a friend lose a pair and a couple of hats - don't wear a helmet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't possess enough ski socks to have a different pair every day for a week. But I wear v thin silk ones which take no time to wash. Airline baggage charges are too expensive to spend on big bags of smelly socks!
snow report
Worryng that no-one has suggested knickers or boxers are a requisite on a skiing holiday ???
ski holidays
I think he's decided he can sort out his own knickers...
snow report
pam w wrote:
I think he's decided he can sort out his own knickers...

Yeah..and if he hasn't then I advise only take 1 pair..turn them inside out after day 3.... Laughing
ski holidays
I can't be doing with washing stuff whilst away and travel by car with the luxury of a bit of space. I like clean socks! I have clean ski socks for each day and a conventional warm clean set for each day to change into after skiing. I also take clean undies for each day!!

I have all the other clothing as well!!
latest report
snocat, And back to front for days 4,5 & 6. I think we've been down this road before.
ski holidays
Two thermal tops
One pair of thermal leggings.
Two pairs of ski socks
However many underpants the missus orders me to take
Some normal socks (dirty ones used under ski socks)
Two pairs of mitts
Favourite Westbeach jumper
Westbeach boarding jacket
Scott trousers
Some goggles
A helmet
Board & boots

That's pretty much me for a week, aside from two pairs of jeans, some T-shirts and a jumper or a hoody. Strangely, i always take a 'going out' jacket and about four pairs of trainers, so any weight-saving Ive done with my minimal packing is totally undone. And all that to smell like a tramp while I sit supping £8 beer Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Face mask, balaclava,

Be careful, the wearing of these is illegal in France.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Face mask, balaclava,

Be careful, the wearing of these is illegal in France.

Really? Well I never.... for any reason or just crimes against fashion? Smile
snow conditions
Specialman, I think it's a joke (sic) about the banning of the Muslim veils etc.
latest report
I only take a couple of pairs of socks and shower in them so I do wear clean ones everyday, 2 baselayer tops (again I shower in them and alternate) and 1 fleece which usually sits in my backpack unused all week unless skiing in the minus 40's of Canada (can't afford this year again) thermal leggings just in case (rarely actually worn tho) mitts and liners tho in practise I usually wear the liners only, a spare pair of jeans and a couple of t-shirts for apres. I'm an oven and rarely feel the cold and I'm far too lazy to carry my boots, ski's, daysack and a bloody suitcase thru the airport so if I can do without the case even if it means wearing my helmet thru customs, so be it. (it also stops my boyfriend weighing me down with all the duty frees as he is a useless packer and an impulse shopper) Very Happy
snow report
Corky, You beat me to it!
latest report
Quote:

I think it's a joke (sic) about the banning of the Muslim veils etc.

It is not a joke. I beleive that all covering of the face in public in France is illegal with the a number of specific exceptions such as full face motorcycle helmets and fencing helmets. Balaclavas are on the list of illegal face coverings. The good news is that the police have said that they cannot and will not enforce this law!

John
ski holidays
This is a stupid question to most but I've never being skiing for more than a few days. For those that take only 1 pair of base layer leggings, do you wash them and let dry overnight or just resort to smelling for the week?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lilywhite wrote:
I only take a couple of pairs of socks and shower in them so I do wear clean ones everyday, 2 baselayer tops (again I shower in them and alternate) Very Happy

^^^That^^^

I never used to, but I skied in NZ in Sept as part of a back packing trip and space was at a premium. Great idea.
snow report
AlanB1976, wash midweek if necessary - assuming you are wearing pants as well (TMI?)
latest report
Just in case anybody is wondering, wandering round Paris in july wearing a neoprene face mask and a balaclava might well attract some unwelcome attention but in blizzards and cold weather ski slopes in France, just like everywhere else, are full of people with covered up faces. Contrary to popular opinion the French can be really quite sensible sometimes.
latest report
holidayloverxx, I always wear pants. Too many embarrassing moments when younger Embarassed
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I think it's a joke (sic) about the banning of the Muslim veils etc.

It is not a joke. I beleive that all covering of the face in public in France is illegal with the a number of specific exceptions such as full face motorcycle helmets and fencing helmets. Balaclavas are on the list of illegal face coverings. The good news is that the police have said that they cannot and will not enforce this law!

John

Bizarre....
snow conditions
That is true. Started in Belgium
snow conditions
IMHO ski packing is one area where females and males seem to actually agree! I hate taking stuff and not wearing it so pack to the minimal. Usually pretty much the same as Griggs - but only 3 pairs of socks Little Angel I tend to have a few favourite top layers that I always take and just alternate - do need a t-shirt over the base layer and under the top layer though as I ski in Finland and it's very very cold! And as for knickers... nice comfy ladies boxer shorts (x 7!!)..... Twisted Evil

Do need a couple of tops for going out to dinner in - but only ever take one jacket and the snow boots and jeans I travel in are worn every night!
Little Angel

and PS - I do not smell Laughing
latest report
the difference between men and women packing was evident when me and the mangement took our gear out of the bag it lives in. It slowly became clear that one of us (me apparently) might have put our stuff in when it was still a bit damp. Result, 9 months post packing and putting in the attic, the bag stank to high heaven, my stuff was really mouldy, hers not so bad but she was absolutely fuming. I'll not be trusted to organise the gear again so I will be packing whatever I'm told under direct supervision but might direct her here before she starts!
latest report
the only positive there temitchell (from a woman's point of view) - good excuse to buy new gear...lol
Little Angel
ski holidays
2x baselayer top (1 merino short sleeve and 1 regular long sleeve)
1x baselayer bottoms
5ish x pair if ski socks(whatever I can find in my draw)
soft shell
Ski jacket
Ski pants
Fleece
2x gloves
2x hats
Polar buff
Goggles and sunnies
Pants and socks
Jeans and t shirts for evenings

Looks like a lot when you write it down Shocked
latest report
Seriously though, the really big advantage of the no smoking laws in europe is that you can wear your ski jacket out in teh evening and not stink of smoke the next morning on the first ift
snow conditions
These people who have fresh pair of ski socks for every day are missing out on the wonderful aromas of mature stilton cheese - as a rule of thumb in my particular case this normally occurs after the third day in the Winter on the same pair of socks and after a couple of days in warmer weather in the Spring. This year I have been treated to a couple of pairs of Smartwool socks and Mrs Snowbandit informs me the stilton pong might be a thing of the past - I will find out week commencing 15 th of January. If it does cure this particular condition I will be able to look back on those heady days with a sense of nostalgia. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy