Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoiding snow/ice build up on heel of boots

Poster: A snowHead
My OH always seems to have trouble with a build up of snow/ice on the heel of her boot from any amount of walking in her boots on snow. It's a minor annoyance and I've now perfected the art of the ski pole chisel routine.

I never have the same problem with my boots, any ideas what the cause is and how it can be remedied?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
too much walking and not enough skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite possibly!

Even the small walk from a restaurant to our skis or out of a gondola/bubble station can cause the snow or ice to build up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kicking your heels on the ski bindings usually clears boots quicker than the ski pole chisel technique.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Squirt of silicon spray or rub some ski wax on them helps stop the ice/snow sticking and building up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure why Her boots are so prone, Is it the back of the heel or the heel underfoot thats getting iced up? if its the underfoot bit I guess maybe it's the sole pattern which I assume you are unlikely to be able to change. Instead of the old pole chisel has she tried the binding scrape routine instead? (NB not always recommended if you've just spent a fortune on new bindings).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammerite,
Quote:

Squirt of silicon spray or rub some ski wax on them helps

yes I have done ths over the years does help, but can end up with boots that slide around on the snow!!

The reason it happens can be the sole pattern and also hot/warm boots Shocked the warmer the boot then more snow will stick to it, is my theroy Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scraping against the bindings doesn't help, it takes some force to chisel it off.
The heel underfoot is the problem area.

We'll try the spray next time we go away. Thanks for the suggestions. It's only a minor annoyance like I say, but the OH is worried that she comes a cropper and I've skied off a bit she might struggle to get her skis back on (not that I can remember her falling over).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski wrote:
hammerite,
yes I have done ths over the years does help, but can end up with boots that slide around on the snow!!

Balance practice. Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I whack the side of my boot with a stick, usually does the job - the OH has more trouble and I often end up scraping his too. I never bash it off on the bindings - it doesn't seem right to subject such important bits of kit to that kind of abuse. Some snow sticks much worse than others, I find.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plastic bags do the trick. Harrods last longest, probably give a better statement.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I carry an aerosol of car window defroster with me; it has the added benefit of leaving a fantastic smell. Evil or Very Mad Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're having the same problems with OH boots. My son thought he would try & punch it off in a Kung Fu Ninja type way & wished he never attempted that as it was frozen solid.

Everytime she takes hers skis off, Gondola ride, restaurant, toilet stop, it seems to happen again with the snow icing up immediately, however I'm not having the same issues. I have noticed that she seems to walk on her heels a lot in the boots whereas I have the Fischer boots walk mode switch so I can adopt a better stride so that maybe the reason.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just bang the ski pole against the bottom of my boot. Takes seconds!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scraping the boot on the binding is effective, but as pam w, says it does seem like binding abuse, and it also wrecks the paint job on the bindings. A good bash of the raised boot against the other is often enough to knock off a great deal of snow and is worth a try.
snow conditions
I just always put cat-tracks on and off - that seems to help me a lot... bit of a hassle though!
snow report
I kick my heel into the front of my bindings, as shown by an ESF instructor...maybe I should have stopped once I stopped using rental skis?
snow report
I scrape the boot on the rear binding and also whack it with a stick. I suppose the snow's clingier the colder it is. Also, like many of the procedures associated with skiing some people find it easier than others e.g. scraping the second boot after you've stepped into the binding with the other one favours those who are good on one leg of course wink
latest report
Cat tracks or even better Rud shoe chains .
ski holidays
Unfortunately a bang with a pole or a scrape on the biding isn't effective enough, it really does take some force to get this snow/ice build up off. With my boots these methods do work, but with the OH it seems to freeze on really firm. She didn't have the same problem with previous boots, just these ones.
snow report
hammerite, I have the same problem with my boots so would be interested if anyone had a solution. They are Head S8s. What are your OH's?

Oh and cat track things aren't much good when you've lost a ski, wandered around to find it, then can't get the snow off to put the bleeping thing back on again! Laughing
latest report
Good question maggi, they're Atomic, not sure of the model though.
ski holidays
hammerite, does she have hire boots (with replaceable toes made from a different material), and you have your own boots of hard plastic?
latest report
We both have our own boots, although mine (Lange RX100) do have a rubber covering that can be replaced when worn through. I think the OHs are hard plastic.
snow conditions
meh wrote:
Squirt of silicon spray or rub some ski wax on them helps stop the ice/snow sticking and building up.

... And leads to comedy incidents when you try and walk in them.
ski holidays
sah wrote:
meh wrote:

... And leads to comedy incidents when you try and walk in them.

Only if you put too much on. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy