Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base layers - curious....

Poster: A snowHead
When I started out buying ski gear I purchased a couple of pairs of full length base layer pants made by Parrellel - from Mountain warehouse I think! To be honest I've not had a problem with them... comfortable and warm... but I do need to buy a new pair now.... both are well worn!

So rather than just re-buy the same I have been doing some research... findings range from £9 to £109!! Now my pocket does not stretch to £109 but I was curious to know whether there really is a noticeable difference between fabrics, wicking technologies etc. and what other skiers had experienced.

I'm hoping to get a bargain - not necessarily looking for the cheapest - and I do need them for a potential -20 degrees environment.

In case you are thinking surely no base layer costs £109... here they are! http://www.onebelowzero.com/cw-x-ladies-insulator-stabilyx.html ( and no this is not a plug for OneBelowZero!)

Comments welcome
Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Scorpio,

I normally use Odlo base layers there about £30 in a snow and rock and have never had a problem with them, Well worth that little bit extra in my opinion.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scorpio21, I use cheap stuff all the time and its fine for vacation skiing. I think Parallel is Sport Direct and they still do it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TK Max had an excellent selection before Xmas
3/4 length bottoms etc
I got some Falke tops & 3/4 bottoms appx £12 a piece
Sweated like a beginner & was very pleased with performence :wicking etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Millets!......Peter storm on offer.....got Peter storm, thermals and a berghaus fleece for £60.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
The Insulator Stabilyx Tights use Auto-Sensor nanotechnology fabric to maintain a constant comfortable surface temperature in a variety of conditions and perfect for the cold weather athlete. The patented CW-X Support Web bands together the muscles and ligaments of the lower leg to stabilize the knee and reduce vibration for increased efficiency. The CW-X Support Web also harnesses the midsection, supporting the lower abdominals, hips and back to channel power through the core. Variable compression facilitates circulation during and after activity, minimizing lactic acid build-up so that you can be active longer and recover faster.

I ask you! Surely only blokes could be so stupid as to fall for this faux techo-waffle?

Just tell us are the important stuff;

1. Are they flattering?
2. Do they come in pink?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lol
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,

I have a few of these, they are really good & I use them for footy also:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310366224588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like Helly Hansen stuff, if you can find it cheap it is a very warm base layer for its thickness, and it has lasted well over the years. Not bonkers expensive even at retail price.

For seriously cold days, I have HH base layer and then a cheap thermal from Sports Direct over the top, which they think is a base layer but isn't really - they are about £6 for top or bottoms, and work just fine for me, but they don't have anywhere near the same wicking properties as the HH.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I pretty much exclusively use wool baselayers there is a toss up between warmth and wicking ability. The main benefit of wool for me is that it's still warm when wet and it doesn't develop the stink synthetics do. You can get it in various weights from various manufacturers but typically I use the 200gram Icebreaker stuff for everything in the mountains summer and winter. If I'm too chilly with that and a shell on then I'll use a combination of really lightweight fleece and/or a bigger fleece under the shell whilst active and bung on a down jacket when standing around.

I'm suspicious of the kinesiotaping stuff already so wouldn't bother spending money on a baselayer that claims to add support to muscles.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another vote for HH gear. Best value by far IMHO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scorpio21, I've got both expensive base layers and cheap ones.

The ones I wear every day were 99p from Decathlon in their sale. If you can get to a Decathlon then I'd start there.

The Marks & Spencers thermal base layers have had some really good write ups in outdoor magazines this year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use HH ones that I've had for donkey's years. Can't really fault them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scorpio21, I have those exact baselayers but I paid £20 for them not £109! I'm never really sure if the compression thing does work, I have some compression cycling shorts and I think my lergs feel a bit better wearing them but not really sure Puzzled

I've got merino leggings and just got some Patagonia Capilene 4 ones to try as I often get really cold. I like the wool stuff as if you do get sweaty you don't feel cold, I used to have various bits of HH stuff I used for skiing and cycling and found I got really cold in it if I ever got the slightest bit sweaty so now I pretty much use wool in summer and winter. I get really hot and really cold very easily so for me good base layers are worth it although I would still never pay anywhere near full price, I think everything I wear skiing was bought at more than 50% off. If you regulate your own temperature quite well then good baselayers probably aren't so crucial.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a few different brands of base layers D2B, HH, Nike, trespass, eurohike, etc but to be honest the ones that were on offer in Lidl recently are great for the money. good support and thermal properties.
snow report
Icebreaker merino wool base layers are good. A bit pricey but they keep you warm, don't stink and seem to last forever - mine have done hundreds of days and still going strong.
ski holidays
+1 for icebreaker - not cheap but good value
ski holidays
Quote:

I ask you! Surely only blokes could be so stupid as to fall for this faux techo-waffle?

Just tell us are the important stuff;

1. Are they flattering?
2. Do they come in pink?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

No but the parrallel ones do!
ski holidays
Great to get feedback - seems there are a good few selections out there to be tried and not costing the earth..... I now know what my Saturday plans are... decathlon, lidl and cheshire oaks!

Smile
ski holidays
Odlo - Awesome stuff.
ski holidays
I have a pair of "Skins" 3/4 length leggings and they do help with fatigue and were warm enough in -25C
latest report
+1 for Helly Hansen. Generally "Lifa Dry" as it's now called, though I'm thinking about getting a "Lifa Warm" for the very chilly days.
snow conditions
I just use stuff made by Fox (fishing brand) that I blagged through work a few years ago. Looks very tired now. Might have to buy some from TK - £10 limit though Wink
snow report
willc, I agree on the HH lifa dry... great in spring conditions too as the wicking ability is supurb, some of the mountian bike tops are just as good and often in sales on wiggle, chain reaction etc. Lowe Alpine dry weave t shirts and wicking tights are also a fav of mine.
snow report
I use under armour, the cold gear stuff. Never had a problem and would definitely recommend! Usually about £35ish for tops and similar for bottoms.
latest report
Was in Mountain Warehouse t'other weekend,
and they had a bogof on thermal baselayers
It seemed rude not to take advantage
Seem OK here - better made than Trespass/D2B
Truth will out on the slopes - but to be honest,
don't really expect to need them much! Don't seem
to feel cold legs
Sorry - edit - £20 for 2 pairs
snow conditions