Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bent Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need some advice on some slightly damaged skis.

They're K2 Apache Crossfires, I think from 2005. Not so new, but I'm on a tight budget.

One of them is bent just behind the rear binding so that when it's laid flat, the tail is about an inch away from the surface.

The previous owner said he never noticed but I'm not so sure.

What effect might this have on the performance ?

I don't want to take them if thy're just dead weight, but if I'm not going to notice, then I've got myself a bargain set of skis.

I can take them to a ski shop, but I wanted some independent views as well !

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Mr Rusty
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to sH's, Misterusty. I wouldn't go near them! Probably significant damage to the glass fibre cladding and the core. I guess it'll make the ski tail wash out every time you put any pressure on it, especially if the whole tail is bent up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Misterusty, need to be binned.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sharkymark and Cynic +1
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Misterusty, Oh I don't know. Very many years ago a mate raced a couple of seasons on a pair of Dynastar Acryglass with tips considerably elevated.

He reckoned they were very competitive.

If the ski's still solid, you'll probably not notice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Misterusty wrote:

They're K2 Apache Crossfires, I think from 2005. Not so new, but I'm on a tight budget.

One of them is bent just behind the rear binding so that when it's laid flat, the tail is about an inch away from the surface.

I don't want to take them if thy're just dead weight, but if I'm not going to notice, then I've got myself a bargain set of skis.

Mr Rusty

Huh?? Sorry if I sound flippant but is this post serious, or are you unaware of a ski's natural camber, with a minute rocker about 2 inches in the Crossfire's tail??

Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
psbbst wrote:
Misterusty wrote:

Mr Rusty

Huh?? Sorry if I sound flippant but is this post serious, or are you unaware of a ski's natural camber, with a minute rocker about 2 inches in the Crossfire's tail??

Puzzled Puzzled

I think the point from the OP is that one ski is 'bent' different to the other.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Misterusty, saw these Bargains on ebay - steer well clear, one ski is snapped behind the binding from a large drop, or bad luck. I once bought a pair of movement demon flames in excellent condition from ebay which had exactly the same problem and the wood core and fibreglass was all shot and beyond repair. At least this seller seems to be making an honest statement that they are not 100% but still a gamble for a potentially worthless ski you can't get refunded.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Link to ebay?
(just for curiosity)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Appreciate all the responses.

These aren't on ebay, I got them last year.

The ski has no external signs of damage and is totally solid. I've put A LOT of weight on it to try to straighten it after reading some posts on another board. The ski's totally solid and refused to straighten, but there's no indication it's about to break either.

I'm tempted to think that it's only going to make a subtle difference, so an intermediate's not going to notice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Misterusty, When you said "I don't want to take them" I think folk thought you were in the process of buying them...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy