Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Buying Advice!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

So I'm looking for some advise on what ski's to buy!

I have been skiing about 3 times now and I'm a pretty good piste skier but I'm looking to get into some freestyle and possible have some fun in the board park but I'm not sure how easy i will take to it just yet as i know no one who does it that i can learn from or would be interested in learning it with me but here is my problem.

I have just bough the Nordica XBI CT+ from snow and rock which is just a piste ski.

I had a look at some Semi Twins but wasn't sure if they were worth getting hold of. What would you recommend as an all round ski that would allow me to begin to get into freestyle skiing and learning some tricks to head into the board park.

The reason i want all round ski's is because i do no know anyone that does freestyle i end up going skiing with the family and therefore will be doing quite a lot of normal piste skiing and i have been told twin tips are normally like a noodle on piste.(As advised in snow and rock)

Any help is much appreciate.

Critch
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bump
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
which Nordicas? the XBI CT+ refers to the binding system (i think). Park will thrash your skis..theres a whole range of decent twins out there, how many times a year do you ski or plan too? you can do plenty of park stuff with normal piste skis as a start....especially the easy lines...then you might get an idea of what you want or can do especially as you seem to have bought skis already... whats more important is a tall tee and brightly coloured hoody and a bandana
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im currently going once a year and soon want to start going twice a year and ski slopes within the uk in the times between.

The ski's i have just bought are:

http://www.snowandrock.com/nordica-spitfire-xbi-ct-+-nordica-n-expert-2s-xbi-ct-binding-11/12/skis/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/20899

I have 28days to return these as i bought them as they had an offer on which i did not want to miss out on whilst deciding on what type of ski i would like to get.

As for doing park stuff on piste ski's wouldn't this be really difficult for stuff like riding switch landing jumps act because they are not twins and don't tend to flex as much?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bumping after 5 hours seems a little impatient Smile

Rent, borrow, steal or otherwise demo some twin-tips before buying. In fact, renting some for your next holiday is probably a fine idea; you can find out if you actually care enough about learning tricks and playing in the park to invest in some new toys.

I'd be careful about interpreting comments about how skis 'feel' without some basis for comparison: there's no standard definition of 'noodly', and unless you've personally skied a stiffer ski and a softer ski, advice about stiffness can't really be very useful for you. Just a thought.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've riden a superpipe on a pair of piste skis before.. PLenty of the slopes in the UK do freestyle nights, so you could just add another pair of skis..get some cheap park skis you don't mind trashing..something like the k2 Press. Are you limited to S&R? all rounder - K2 Kung Fujas with Schizo..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 renting..

and yes,its all subjective..i like my skis noodly.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
H Guys,

Thanks for you replies, Apologies for the early bump was just in need a a quick answer really as its only 2 weeks till we disappear to Italy for are skiing holiday.

I don't claim to know anything about ski's I'm just going off the advice that was being offered to me by people who seemed to know what they were talking about that is all i have to go off.

Ideally when i went into S&R i was looking for a ski that would be able to be half decent in doing anything sort of Jack of all trades master of non.

Also having never skied on anything but the intermediate ski hire ski's i have nothing to compare ski's to so its down to the advice I'm given to make a decision Smile

Also im not limited to snow and rock they are just were i managed to get my nordica's from but can get a full refund just did not want to miss out on the £120 off

The other ski's that were suggested to me are these:

http://www.snowandrock.com/salomon-enduro-xt-800-+-salomon-z12-b90-binding-11/12/skis/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/20309

Ive sorted only decided to buy everything last minute Smile

New Boots, Ski's, Suit etc lol

Once again thank you for the help its much appreciated!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oOCritchOo, your second suggested ski will be a lot more versatile for different conditions but again not for park skiing, might be better to also buy some old trasher twin tips and take along with you or just rent some for a day!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quick check on the internet gives roughly £500- €600, with average ski/boot hire working out at €70-80 Euros a week including park skis, I reckon that unless you intend to go for 5 weeks over the next two seasons, with perhaps two weeks equivalent on UK slopes then send them back. Don't forget that unless you are going with package deals then everyone charges for skis on hairyplanes too, so there's another £50 a trip. That of course assumes you don't break them and decide to continue focussing on park skiing. If you're not sure then rent, at least you can change skis mid week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oOCritchOo wrote:
I don't claim to know anything about ski's I'm just going off the advice that was being offered to me by people who seemed to know what they were talking about that is all i have to go off.

This is why you should rent/demo; you don't really have any context for their advice, so there's not really any way for you to tell whether they really did know what they were talking about, or even whether their advice was appropriate for you. If you're happy to spend hundreds of pounds on skis on the offchance you'll like them and don't mind selling them on at a significant loss if they turn out to be a poor choice... then by all means, buy toys. It is a gamble though, with possible the loss of a few hundred bucks for selling used, unwanted skis against the definite cost of a week or two renting where you will have the opportunity to try a few different skis.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Describing twin tips as noodly on piste seems a bit suspect to me. I'm sure some are but twin tips vary in stiffness like any other skis. Also what's noodly to a fat person might be plenty stiff for a scrawny person.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy