Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the best driving route to Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are driving to Obergurgl in late January. Does anyone have preffered routes for discusssion?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My usual route is to go via the Innsbruck side and Munich. Had done a few times (mainly with return journey) via Feldkirch/Vaduz (Liechtenstein) using either the Swiss side (Zurich) or German side (Bregenz). Traffic at the Liechtenstein side seems slower.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Norfolk Nippers, it might depend on which channel port, but assuming Calais, how about Dunkerque-Lille-Charleroi-Luxembourg(fill up with cheap fuel)-A8 past Saarbrucken-Pirmasens-Karlsruhe-Stuttgart-Ulm-A7 South-Fussen-through the Fernpass to Imst-up the Oetz valley. Free motorways all the way, you won't need the Austrian vignette either. I've heard the Fernpass gets busy with dutch coaches heading to St Anton/Solden later on Saturday transfer days though, in common with most routes into Austria as germans pile in from all over Germany.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done the Fernpass from Garmisch Partenkirchen to Imst before but it was in the day time. My personal choice would be avoiding night time driving on country roads at the end of a full day driving where the drivers would be tired.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi, Why no vignette going across Fernpass, I thought it was compulsory wherever you drive in Austria?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29,

A vignette is required if travelling on autobahn or motorway in Austria.

It is possible to travel from Germany to Austria using Fernpass, cross over Inst and into the valley of Solden and Obergurgl, without upsetting the Austrian police. Although the Austrian vignette, at 8 Euro for 10 days, isn't expensive by any standard but motorists still try to avoid it.

There is an additional toll if one goes through the Arlberg tunnel near St Anton on the route between Innsbruck and Bregenz.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You do also need a vignette for some of the so-called Schnellstrasse as well. And part of the Fern Pass route includes a section of this by the tunnels. A 10 day vignette is peanuts at 7.90 Euro, and way less than the opening fine if you are caught (400 Euro). The ASFINAG vehicles are usually around at the usual points to catch abusers by the way, especially weekends. If you are a repeat offender by the way, the fine increases each time you are caught and the rate of increase appears fairly arbitrary.

You do not need a vignette if you stay on the Bundestrasse or Landstrasse. But the varying speed limits are sometimes bewildering and there are a lot of mobile cameras monitoring these roads.

What annoys me intensely is the IG-L speed limits set to 100kmh on most if not all of the Tirol autobahns and part of the Salzburgerland ones. I know where all the fixed cameras are in the latter, but Tirol police rely on lots of mobile cameras to catch offenders, and often expect the fine to be paid on the spot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Proof that the 8€ is money well spent, don't know why UK doesn't do the same.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back from Obergurgl last week, we normally fly but decided to give driving a go. We live in Yorkshire so took the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam, got off the ferry fresh and raring to go at 8am and after a slight hickup in holland (TMS on sat nav suggested there was a problem on our rout and sent us south for a while) we blasted along the autobahn at 100mph all the way through Germany with very little traffic then over the Fernpass which was clear and quiet getting to Obergurgl at 6pm. On the way back we broke the journey in Cologne staying in a great hotel overnight leaving just 3 hours back to Rotterdam the next afternoon for the 8pm sailing back to hull. total mileage Rotterdam to Obergurgl return was 1300 miles. Did all this with a four year old in the back and I must admit it was not at all bad and a lot less stressfull than flying.As far as I was told If you take the Fernpass route you do not need the Vinette as you do not hit any Austrian Motorway.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Globalbagtag,

630 miles in 10 hours that was a good journey time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
What annoys me intensely is the IG-L speed limits set to 100kmh on most if not all of the Tirol autobahns and part of the Salzburgerland ones.

This PDF document explains (in English) something about how ASFINAG (the Austrian autobahn operator) sets the air protection-related (IG-L) speed limits.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
espri, I understand the principal, but in Tirol it just seems to be used as a cash-cow to earn revenue from the road users. All my Austrian friends complain bitterly about it as well and rue the day that Salzburg decided to use it as a revenue source. The attitude to it is slightly different in Salzburg, relying on fixed cameras. The Tirol police are always on the move with the mobile cameras, making sure that they have a constant source of income.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I understand the principal, but in Tirol it just seems to be used as a cash-cow to earn revenue from the road users.

Only from those who drive too fast Laughing Laughing Laughing
Happy New Year!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
definitely go the fern pass..the drive from the swiss side is mega dull..then again i've done it 4 or 5 times in the last 2 months..they seem to like hiding cameras in the emergency escape bays in the tunnels at the moment at present..and theres a couple on the road along the otztal..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy