Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Christmas skiing for a decade

Poster: A snowHead
Following a late season start, from 1500-3000m altitude in the French Northern Alps Ski Areas have seen the best Christmas snow for a decade, both in terms of quality and quantity. We are entering the New Year with above average snow cover over 1500 meters. The snow fall has been coupled with relatively mild weather and stable off piste conditions making for a ski bonanza for both piste and off piste skiers.

Discuss?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly the best I've experienced. Only downside is that some days have been a bit too warm, so lower slopes have seen rain and/or heavy off-piste.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avalanche warning is 5 again today, so perhaps the better start for the piste skiers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a lot of the holiday period the avalanche risk was 2/5.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got to be said it's not been too shabby for the lower slopes (here at least and no doubt in other places)... there was one day of rain on the lower slopes (in the midst of the great storm) but that then got topped up by nice snow. Snow turned to sleet and then eventually rain this afternoon, but (so far) it has been lighter than feared and with a fair amount of snow predicted this week, again, it shouldn't be a problem in terms of quality or depth. So it's also been a great Christmas for areas with lower slopes round here, as they've also had the added advantage of having all of their lifts open all season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it too early for the 'best Christmas skiing for a decade' debate ? Toofy Grin

And anyway, it's not the best Christmas skiing for a decade, cos I haven;t had any yet Sad

22 days..............
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were in St Gervais at Xmas. It was indeed very very good and we had a ball. But for my money it was not quite as good as Xmas 2008/2009 which was memorable for blue skies and that lovely satiny squeaky snow on piste everywhere, as opposed to slightly heavy/slightly hard conditions in some places this year. Still flipping good though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here is a go pro video (not mine, alas) of what it was like skiing in what would be deemed a lower resort by some in December 2011 (be kind all you supercool snowHeads and ignore the French cheesy dancing... look at the snow!) wink

http://youtube.com/v/gWH3hQ0ZwEY
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
miranda, looks wonderful!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The few days we've been up since Christmas is probably the best skiing conditions I've ever known. On-piste that is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timberwolf wrote:

And anyway, it's not the best Christmas skiing for a decade, cos I haven;t had any yet Sad

22 days..............

I'm sure it will be even better then, well I hope so.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And all that palaver about people cancelling their holidays due to lack of snow!!!

I got back from Mayrhofen last night and it had been snowing non stop for 24 hours on top of a good base.

So there is snow snow and more SNOW. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Despite recent rain, Christmas conditions in the northern French Alps and western Austria are the best since the 1990s.

And with another 100cm+ about to pound western Austria next week, things will improve further in the near-term.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

another 100cm+ about to pound western Austria next week

and lots in much of the French Alps too. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For a decade? I have no idea, in my limited experience (4 Christmas ski trips in last 4 years - and no off piste) we've had the best conditions this year. 2008/9 season I remember being nice to ski on, but it was my first ski trip so I was up and down the greens at ADH most of the week and didn't see what it was like elsewhere.

Agree with rob@rar, it was warm from Christmas day for a few days, meant a lot of the pistes in Cervinia were starting to scrape toward the end of the week.
ski holidays
To my mind, in the Eastern Alps, 2005/2006 was the best Christmas snow for us. Started snowing on November 28th, and forgot to stop until sometime in the New Year. Cold crispy snow all winter. We were still shovelling in April but by then I had boogered my left knee well and truly and was in a residential rehab centre with Vroni Staber and Anne-Marie Gerg, all rehabbing snapped ACLs among other things. Still talked about here as the best season in the past 70 years or so.
latest report
i think it ironic that just as the Daily Mail crow in their horrible way about the Alps and France being a washout and the smart money booking in the States, it doesn't stop snowing in the Alps and it stops snowing in the States.

Maybe the weather Gods hate the Mail.
ski holidays
Been some of the best conditions I can remember in my lifetime at times, average at others, warmth. rain and high winds have hampered things to an extent.
snow report
Certainly the most snow at Christmas for a long time. The locals here say the most Christmas snow since 1977.

But best skiing conditions? I'm not so sure....
snow conditions
There have been some brilliant days in December although the days immediately around Christmas itself were enjoyable but not quite as spectacular as earlier in the month. 18 & 19 December were among the best days skiing I've ever had, and 15 December was also pretty good before it got too windy.
ski holidays
....7th December was my favourite days skiing....

These were my clients having a ball:

[/url]http://youtube.com/v/hskrBrs5Amo&list[/url]
snow report
woops try again:

....7th December was my favourite days skiing....

These were my clients having a ball:

http://youtube.com/v/hskrBrs5Amo&list
snow conditions
anyway this thread is a marker, wait till the other websites etc jump on the bandwagon Happy

The warm temperatures have been good, it hasn't been too cold to go out skiing.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 2-01-12 14:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stanton is suspiciously quite after his claims of the season being a write off
ski holidays
Well I've been skiing in the French Alps the week before Christmas every year for the past 6 years, and I can say the week I've just had in La Plagne was the best for snow by MILES. I've never seen so much there.

The best day was skiing down to the Vanoise in 40cms of fresh snow. Lovely.

The only year I can remember there being more snow was in Alpe D'Huez 1994 when about 5 feet of it fell over Christmas.
latest report
My god those videos look great! dream conditions... I really wish I was there..........
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy