Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Listening to your other half

Poster: A snowHead
Today we had the chance to ski a piste that had been closed for most of the week. This meant the snow was pretty good, fresh powder and untracked.

Suddenly nbt turned to me and said have you tried planting your pole and skiing each turn around it. Wow! even though I'm always being accused of not listening to him, his advice went in for once and worked.

Even though I have had many, many lessons in my skiing life, one forgets over time certain things. His little 'prod' completely made my experience of that piste such fun. So much so we did it again, then tried something even steeper and slightly off piste.

Anyone else actually listen and take notice?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been married 40 years - gave up listening to OH years ago
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs NBT, glad somebody listens to him wink

seriously, it gets right on my wick when MrHL (or even friends) tries to "give advice". Just because I'm not doing it doesn't mean I don't know what to do!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MrsFS and I have a tactic of watching each other ski on "difficult terrain" and giving each other a suggested focus based on what we saw.

We then ignore the suggestion and get back to doing what we were doing.

If nothing else it gives us the illusion of cooperation!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
it gets right on my wick when MrHL (or even friends) tries to "give advice".
Does you good sometimes though... NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and we know what an earful could follow! Dishy young instructors tend to get more of a hearing though wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The kids will listen and learn. Other friends have listened and say it has helped, and i have found others tips brilliant...

But - The wife goes sulky and surly and won't speak. And then refuses to go to ski school until I say I'm not skiing with her till she does. Then has a great time and is happy for more ski school the next day... And then gets upset when we are unable to ski (yesterday) so she could show us what she has learnt....

God give me strength.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I only get involved when someone asks me a simple question, largely because my advice is worth the fag packet it is written on the back of, and because a lot of people aren't that bothered about actually improving technique etc. The light bulb for one of the guys was "why do my thighs hurt so much?" when I told him to just push his hands forward and let his hips follow them forward a bit. Changed how he looked, how he felt, just a tiny little thing at the right moment for him to take it on board. Worked for me in exactly the same way a couple of years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tarquin wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
it gets right on my wick when MrHL (or even friends) tries to "give advice".
Does you good sometimes though... NehNeh

your're assuming that I can hear you wink NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B wrote:
and we know what an earful could follow! Dishy young instructors tend to get more of a hearing though wink

Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, Yes I find it helps although, if lady takes her turn after an hour also improves my aching arms.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tarquin's best advice when holidayloverxx was having a few difficulties in ice/flat light one year in Tignes was "Don't worry just the black bit to go" Very Happy Fortunately he wasn't heard Very Happy

However a dishy young instructor came to the rescue. Hmm I'm beginning to think this is a tactic wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B, You got me wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always listen and try to do as asked... but then Rick really knows his stuff...

I've heard some doozies on the chairlift over the years!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Second useful piece of advice for the day - don't put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your knob. Not particular to skiing, but its a good way of not losing a finger because of doing something stupid.
ski holidays
stoat of the dead wrote:
The kids will listen and learn. Other friends have listened and say it has helped, and i have found others tips brilliant...

But - The wife goes sulky and surly and won't speak. And then refuses to go to ski school until I say I'm not skiing with her till she does. Then has a great time and is happy for more ski school the next day... And then gets upset when we are unable to ski (yesterday) so she could show us what she has learnt....

God give me strength.

What are you doing with my wife? wink
snow conditions
Monium wrote:
Second useful piece of advice for the day - don't put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your knob. Not particular to skiing, but its a good way of not losing a finger because of doing something stupid.

Hmm... do you shake hands with many people? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Don't think I'd be able to ski half the things I have done had I not taken advice from my OH! I was quite reassured to be able to remind him about a couple of things though which i learnt after private instruction. although he is confident on pretty much all terrain he has bad habits like the best of them so me being the one to give him a prod about a couple of techniques made me feel pretty good haha!
snow conditions
sloop, Laughing Laughing

Yes, I listen.. I'm too cr@p a skier to assume I know better. wink Two best bits of advice came from sH's. After the first one I learnt pretty quickly that they're well worth listening to. Little Angel
snow report
Many years ago mrs sev112 used to have a very simple technique that got her down most pistes albeit in (what i considered at the time) to be rather slow, traverse-the-piste-horizontally-turn-repeat-ad-nauseum.
Which was great on reds and steeper blues but not much fun on flatter blues and greens with a big upslope coming up.

IIRR it was the top of Jerusalem, just crossing from Meribel to VT valley, a nice easyiesh red slope with an upslope at the bottom, with a few people walking up the other side.

I "persuaded" her to allow herself to pick some speed up to get up the other side.
WIth a great big huff, off she went, straightlined it, and after the initial wobble, the subsequent incerasing amplitude wobbles, she exploded into a high energy wipe out.
Following the caring ski down by her loving husband to make sure she was OK, i was greeted with the most vehement of expletive filled screams in my direcion - not bad for a woman who never swears.

She doesnt receive much advice from me these days Sad
latest report
sev112, Good decision Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
sev112,I know I shouldn't, however that's really made me laugh.

NBT even suggested instead of braking on every turn, I just take each of my turns a little further round (which takes me slightly uphill a bit), blow me down that worked as well. I'm on a roll now, so shall listen more often.
Maybe not when it comes to kitchen duties though.

Oh and happy new year everyone.
ski holidays
I think I might stay out of this one.....
latest report
Chasseur, probably best.....
ski holidays
Ah, it was THAT sort of argument.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy