Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advice please on short break end of Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I would appreciate some guidance. I'm looking to book a 3day ski break end of Jan. Some of us are flying from Ireland and some from Scotland so we have selected Geneva as a meeting point. When I say three days we would fly on a Sat, ski three full days and fly home on a weds. Some of us don't have the hols to take from work and we don't want to leave babs behind for a full week. Little Angel!
Budget is an issue and we were looking for somewhere with a short transfer as well. The flight home from Geneva leaves at 10.30. None of us are beginners but we wouldn't be experts either so a nice selection of blues/reds and we have one snowboarder so it has to suit everyone!

I was looking at places like Courmayeur, LaThuille or Chamonix.... Are the French resorts more expensive than the Italian resorts? I've only skied in Austria, Andorra and Bulgaria before. Nothing is booked so far but really want to make the right choice to make the most of the three days.

Thanks in advance
Jan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix you need a car.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Cynic - I am leaning towards Chamonix. I was looking at Chamexpress for transfers - they are quiet reasonable at 28e per head each way.
A lot of the hotels seem to be booked so I may get on it!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jan2012, have a look at mountain sun - esp La Plagne / Tignes, good at doing short stays and sort out the transfers for you.

la plagne will only be a couple of hours from GVA (conditions/traffic permitting) so not impossible for a short stay. Good slection of runs, and being close to the vanoise express you can ski les arcs as well as la plagne..

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-melezes-and-mazot/availability
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for mountainsun. You'll find transfer prices expensive (though Chamonix best from that point of view) and short term accommodation is not that easy. Mountainsun can do you the transfer/accomm package which will make the most of your short time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jan2012, no significant differences in overall price between the various countries in my experience.

As above a cheap 'n' cheerful chalet is the most cost effective way to ski
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we did apartments in les carroz (via erna low agency i think) on a similar brief and were very happy with it - part of flaine grand massif area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tignes is an expensive resort but if you stay in a chalet where you can stock up on a big breakfast, and get a great tea (with cake, baguettes etc) at the end of skiing, you really don't need much in between. I am a self-catering fan but it's not really worth it for a few days, when you have to buy everything - but everything - and only use a bit of it. And the cost of the transfers can be prohibitive for a short trip. for a short self-catering trip you need to hire a car, so you can carry stuff from a supermarket up to your resort, and with 4/5 to a vehicle renting for 4 days will be cheaper than taxi transfer, and probably cheaper than the bus too (the buses aren't cheap).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Jan,
The French resorts others mention are all great but landing at Geneva Airport means you are also within easy reach (by train) of a large number of Swiss resorts. There's a train station at the airport and a fast frequent service to tons of resorts usually only requiring one easy change.
Resorts include Leysin, Les Diablerets, Champery (Porte du Soleil), and Le Chable (part of the Verbier ski-ing area).
Most of these places are to the east of Lake Geneva and involve a fantastic train ride along the north bank of the lake. Journey times are 2 to 2.5 hours.
Prices are generally similar to France and there's plenty of skiing in these places for a several-day trip.
There's a map showing how to reach resorts by train (the SkiRail Map of the Alps) and you can see a sample of the map here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information (Geneva Airport is just off the map by the lake on the left-hand side).
Chateau D'Oex and the Gstaad resorts are also easily reached from Geneva by train (around 2 hours) and involves a spectacular rail trip where the line rises steeply above Lake Geneva from Montreux (the rail journey may have been the highlight of my ski trip there!).
You can actually reach Chamonix by train from Geneva Airport but it does involve a connecting tram in Geneva city centre. Works out slightly cheaper than a typical transfer bus from the airport to Chamonix (you get a free train/tram ticket from the airport to Geneva stations) but takes a bit longer. You can take a longer route round to Chamonix by train too via Martigny - a fantastic journey but takes about 3 hours.
You can also reach St Gervais by train (1 hr 25 from Geneva) which is part of the enormous (300+kms) Megeve ski area.
Hope that's given you some ideas.
Neil Neige
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neil Neige wrote:
the Gstaad resorts are also easily reached from Geneva by train (around 2 hours) and involves a spectacular rail trip where the line rises steeply above Lake Geneva from Montreux (the rail journey may have been the highlight of my ski trip there!).

You can also reach St Gervais by train (1 hr 25 from Geneva) which is part of the enormous (300+kms) Megeve ski area.
Neil Neige

I think that Gstaad train journey is more like 3 hours, but you're right about it being a really beautiful journey.

You can get buses to Megeve from Geneva too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
miranda wrote:
Neil Neige wrote:
the Gstaad resorts are also easily reached from Geneva by train (around 2 hours) and involves a spectacular rail trip where the line rises steeply above Lake Geneva from Montreux (the rail journey may have been the highlight of my ski trip there!).

Neil Neige

I think that Gstaad train journey is more like 3 hours, but you're right about it being a really beautiful journey.

You can get buses to Megeve from Geneva too.
Hi Miranda - yes, it's a magical trip up from Montreux. My best journey was at night-time on one of the Golden Pass trains where they have very dim candle-effect lights so, even though it was dark, you still had great views out across the lake.
Just checked the Swiss Rail website - the closest resort in the 'Gstaad Mountain Ride' group (Chateau D'Oex) is 2 hours 5 mins from Geneva, and trains to Gstaad itself take around 2h 30 (give or take a few mins). Hoping to head back out there next weekend.
Neil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neil Neige, they've managed to speed up that little mountain train in the past few years then. It's a lovely journey summer and winter, so I don't think you would particularly mind the length if you're going on holiday, but I was regularly commuting from Geneva about 8 years ago, when it definitely took 3 hours and having 30 minutes shaved off of that would have been most welcome at the time!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Jan,

You should have a look at Morzine.
Me and a few Paddies did it 2 years ago for 4 days and had a great time.
Great Skiing in either france or Switzerland and some good Mountain Restaurants.
Morzine is a lively town with good apres and a nice atmosphere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Jan, for a few days and flying into Geneva I would certainly recommend you look at taking a train into Switzerland. You can buy a ticket to Aigle it's a 2 hour journey and when you arrive all of the small mountain trains are waiting to take you up to Leysin about 20mins and other resorts.Leysin is good for a few days of intermediate skiing with lots of B&B's,hotels and apartments to rent. Not a bad size but very limited après ski.40 mins taxi ride to les Diablerets not bad skiing there. Good luck
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Jan, for a few days and flying into Geneva I would certainly recommend you look at taking a train into Switzerland. You can buy a ticket to Aigle it's a 2 hour journey and when you arrive all of the small mountain trains are waiting to take you up to Leysin about 20mins and other resorts.Leysin is good for a few days of intermediate skiing with lots of B&B's,hotels and apartments to rent. Not a bad size but very limited après ski.40 mins taxi ride to les Diablerets not bad skiing there. Good luck
snow conditions
Jan2012 wrote:
... and we don't want to leave babs behind for a full week.

no, indeed not!

babs are available in most resorts at the right price - austria is best, Ischgl and Solden especially
snow report
Neil Neige, sorry for thread hijack, but I think I remember you saying you'd done quite a lot of this travelling round by public transport on ski safaris. What would be your choice of route/transport to get from Megeve to Gstaad? I still have some friends there that I will visit at some point this year (but will need to leave the car here). Was just planning to go to Geneva and get the train (so a total of about 4 hours I guess) but perhaps you have some different sort of interesting cross country route you'd recommend?

ps Jan2012, we can offer 3 day breaks at good value prices and are a short transfer from Geneva. We're not a Chamonix type place though, so might not be what you're after.
ski holidays
La Clusaz might suit you - it is a good resort for intermediates and the lift pass is cheaper than the more well known resorts. Have a look at Hotel Alpen Roc - it is fairly central.

Courmayeur would be good in terms of the skiing for your group but it might be more expensive to travel to Italy.
snow report
Courmayeur would involve driving through the Mont Blanc Tunnel, which is quite expensive - and adds a complication to the journey (it was closed, yesterday, because of the avalanche risk). I'd stay the French side of the tunnel, with little time to spare on a short visit.
snow report
thanks a million for all the replies, there are so many options it is difficult to choose. To be honest everywhere will probably be great as I'll just be so happy to be there!
Pam_w - will stay on the French side of the tunnel so! Neil Neige, the train journeys sound great- def something to consider. I'll have a look at the areas mentioned. The deals with Mountainsun look great - I've sent them an email to check dates.
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
Neil Neige, sorry for thread hijack, but I think I remember you saying you'd done quite a lot of this travelling round by public transport on ski safaris. What would be your choice of route/transport to get from Megeve to Gstaad? I still have some friends there that I will visit at some point this year (but will need to leave the car here). Was just planning to go to Geneva and get the train (so a total of about 4 hours I guess) but perhaps you have some different sort of interesting cross country route you'd recommend?

Miranda, no crafty suggestions I'm afraid for Megeve to Gstaad, but thanks for thinking that I might have!
Yes, 4 hours sounds about right - maybe a little longer.
I expect you know there are two train routes to Geneva from Sallanches-Megeve. The one via Bellegarde which is a bit longer in distance (and usually time) but simpler as no need for tram. The quicker route takes you to Geneva Eaux Vives and requires a 15-minute tram connection to Geneva Cornavin.
Actually, come to think of it, there is a fun alternative - the boat! You could get the train to Evian, then take the boat across Lake Geneva to Lausanne, and then pick up the train again. Made the boat trip a few times - it's a very novel and enjoyable way to travel through the Alps in the wintertime!
latest report
Jan, Chamonix is hard to beat in terms of convenience, you can be in resort in less than 90 mins from the airport, the transfers are also cheap, €25 each way. But IMO Chamonix is a bad resort for groups and for beginnery / intermediate types. The resort is just too fractured. Its really a place for off piste skiing in small groups of high level skiers.

Morzine / Avoriaz is a similar distance / price from Geneva but is quite low and you're exposed if the snow is bad. I was there at the end of Jan last year and it was pretty grim, though I still enjoyed myself a lot.

Have you considered flying to Zurich? Not sure if it works with your dates, but I was considering the reverse days, i.e., Wed to Sun and if you flew Dub - Zur with Aer Lingus and back with Swiss (or maybe the reverse, I can't remember) you arrived in the morning and left in the evening, giving the potential of an extra half days skiing.

Zurich is very well connected with the Austrian resorts by train, 2 - 2 and half hours away. Swiss trains are cheap, uber - efficient and fast so you can get straight from the airport to your choice of resorts. I went to St Anton that way last year and it worked a treat.

Anyway, decisions decisions
ski holidays
If you are only out for a few days you dont want to be spending time on trains/boats if you want to ski! It sounds like there are a few of you. This would make a private or shared taxi by one of the many transfer operators quite reasonable.All the resorts to left and right going up towards cham( pds.Flaine.Megeve la Clusaz,contamine.st gervais) are fesable 1.25-1.5 hours transfer. A smaller resort will save on lift pass price and be quite adequate for your party.Boat and train transfers sound very romantic but will loose valuable slope time.
latest report
If your all meeting at geneva and have a few days for skiing, then Morzine is an ideal place IMO. Transfer time of less than 1.5 hours, 600km piste on 1 lift pass and a lovely place to be.
snow conditions
Neil Neige, If I can get a lift to Geneva then I'll probably do that as it'll cut the journey time down to under 4 hours otherwise, though, I really like the idea of getting the boat from Evian to Lausanne and will definitely keep it in mind - if I have to do loads of faffing and changes, it'll be good to at least be trying out something new!
latest report
Check out pv-holidays.com. They have apartment blocks in most French resorts and allow rental for a few days at a time. Perfect for what you need I think. We've used them 15+ times and they work well and are good VFM. Hire a car in Geneva, will be cheaper than a transfer.
ski holidays
Check out pv-holidays.com. They have apartment blocks in most French resorts and allow rental for a few days at a time. Perfect for what you need I think. We've used them 15+ times and they work well and are good VFM. Hire a car in Geneva, will be cheaper than a transfer.
ski holidays
Quote:
Jan, Chamonix is hard to beat in terms of convenience, you can be in resort in less than 90 mins from the airport, the transfers are also cheap, €25 each way. But IMO Chamonix is a bad resort for groups and for beginnery / intermediate types. The resort is just too fractured. Its really a place for off piste skiing in small groups of high level skiers.

This is exactly my thoughts on Chamonix - I haven't been there but reading about it, there sounds like better options for intermediate skiing. My problem is accommodation I can't find reasonably priced accommodation in any of the nearby resorts. Everywhere seems quiet busy. Morzine looks good although I 'm not sure if its the best for snowboarding. Mountainsun don't accept Saturday arrivals for short term stays. Maybe i'll have a look at Zurich Puzzled
maybe Chamonix would be all right for three days.........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jan2012 wrote:
Quote:

This is exactly my thoughts on Chamonix - I haven't been there but reading about it, there sounds like better options for intermediate skiing. My problem is accommodation I can't find reasonably priced accommodation in any of the nearby resorts. Everywhere seems quiet busy. Morzine looks good although I 'm not sure if its the best for snowboarding. Mountainsun don't accept Saturday arrivals for short term stays. Maybe i'll have a look at Zurich Puzzled
maybe Chamonix would be all right for three days.........

I had a great 3-day trip to Chamonix with a group of early-ish intermediates (we mainly skied at the Le Tour end). It's not as convenient as the purpose-built resorts but it's a really lively mountain town with a spectacular setting.
Plenty of options from Zurich, and I'd also recommend Innsbruck as you can stay in the medieval city centre (hotel rooms from 38 Euros), and access tons of local places by tram, funicular train or free ski bus. Also, the transfer from the airport is a 15 minute bus ride costing just 2 or 3 Euros.
snow conditions
Don't get me wrong, I love Chamonix, and have literally been there 4 or 5 times, but I wouldn't go there with a larger group and whenever I go there I only ski one area (Grande Montets) with the occasional flurry over to Brevant Flegere. This leaves you with a limited selection of pistes (but oodles of very accessible off piste if the snow is good). If you were there with a group people would naturally want to visit the other areas, which in my experience is a waste of time given that the snow is almost always better in GM. They'd also then want to meet up for lunch without realy understanding why it wouldn't work. It'd just end up awkward.

But I agree it is a lovely town and the setting is stunning. But I'd rather go with two or three companions who have oodles of cash ambition.

Zurich and Munich are both within shooting distance of St Anton and Ischgl, both of which are supposed to be excellent (haven't been to Ischgl yet, hope to go this year). To be honest though, on reflection St Anton doesn't have much more pistes than Grandes Montets, but does have Lech and Zurs up the road.

I reiterate that Morzine / Avoriaz has feck loads of pistes if the snow is good. I also second the Pierre et Vacances recommendation. Stayed with them in Tignes and Avoriaz and both places were well run, located and reasonably sized by ski standards. They also take bookings for a few days (other places wont do this until the last minute when they're sure they won't be able to rent it for a full week).
snow report
Jan2012, If you have to go to Geneva (it is does have the most flights) then Morzine is only 1.5hrs away and would be a good spot. We did a short break using the Ridge hotel. It is a fair distance out of town but was good and on the bus routes and not too far to walk to the Super Morzine lift which gets you into the full PdS area which is huge. They are part of Morzine Lets and do transfers too.

Italy is cheaper (a little) but it is 2.5hrs and as has been aid through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. If you can get to Turin instead then the Aosta Valley is open to you with a 1.5 hr transfer. We prefer Pila but there is loads to choose from. If Pila is big enough for you, should be, then try pilaski.co.uk and they will sort you out. Carole is even Scottish so you should get on ok.

So the choice has to be does it really need to be Geneva.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy