Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to put chains on; Plus an all time classic photo :)

Poster: A snowHead
It was always on the cards that chains would be the order of the day.

For the past three or four days forecast always suggested that would be the case, freezing level at 800ms and heavy precipitation.

We were flying into Grenoble and renting a car. We'd pre booked chains, and in my preparation I had an old jacket I didn't mind getting dirty, some thin gloves and a towel ready to do battle when the time came.

We landed early and I went straight to the car hire whilst the Mrs waited for the baggage as I wanted to be first in the queue as i suspected many would be after chains maybe not having booked them!

Sure enough there was a hassle getting mine, I insisted she checked the wheel size and double checked the chains were correct, she disappeared and came back sans chains, she then went somewhere else and came back with a new set, which I checked over to be sure.

I was expecting to have to put chains on just after Bourg Oisans, but by Vizzelle became obvious it would be sooner, and then a few kms up the road (Gavet) the mayhem started.

We pulled over along with every one else, wasn't the best place but really had no choice.

Did the first wheel in not too bad a time, instructions not really helping. That was on the inside, then on to the outside, and that was tougher having to stay in close to the car with those with snow tyres coming dangerously close. Good thing about the towel is that you can lay down and really get to grips with the chains, but these were cheapo cheapo, sort of thing you'd get in Lidl and really hard to put on!

So job done and we set off only to come to a halt as some idiot who had not put them on was up ahead causing traffic to become grid locked, then looking behind me scenario was even worse with a truck across the road and a snow plough trying to get through.

We managed to get past the idiot and then with some careful over taking of those who were none too confident of the conditions were out in the clear and we had a good run up to La Grave - total time including chains just over three hours.

So here are some pictures, the first gives you a good idea of what it was like!

The second yours truly trying to get to grips.....

And then the classic, they were behind us, and he was just standing around whilst she did all the work !

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam, Absolutely fantastic, that last one is a real classic, I bet they were Bristish too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Winter tyres are where it's at. We drove to Venosc/resort respectively this morning (before the roads were ploughed in my case), no problem at all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, damn hard when you're flying though rolling eyes

That said when we go out for longer in March etc I have snow tyres on the van but this is a flying trip as it were Confused

And Colin B, very French............
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ooo been there a few times, sometimes in the dark! lol usually after about an hour of trying we normally either ask a local or as, on one occasion halfway up a mountain road in italy in the dark a very nice italian man stopped and put them on in about 2 minutes for us! lol dam things...... we used them about 4 times and NEVER been able to get it!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing Laughing Laughing love it
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
God Bench has infiltrated France too (yes I did manage to raise my stare a little).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, Hire in switzerland, winter tyres as standard Smile did the job for me years ago driving up to Les Gets in a blizzard, you did well with unfamiliar chains to get them on in such conditions!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope the bloke in the last pic get's a nomination for man of the year. He obviously knew how to put the chains on but was just stringing her along Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm glad this thread has mentioned winter tyres. I've got snow chains, and have always had them with winter tyres every time I've driven to the alps. Admittedly I've been lucky, but on rare few occasions I've needed to drive on compacted snow and the snow tyres have been amazing. The tales above of putting on chains - have these folks been on winter tyres that have failed and then required chains? Or on some occasions do the police make you put on chains even if your tyres are still coping? I must admit I'm not enamoured with the idea of needing to fit chains onto soggy wet tyres - even with a stack of thin gloves, kneeling pads, old jacket etc. Even though I've just had fancy self adjusting chains from Santa.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
Weathercam, Hire in switzerland, winter tyres as standard Smile
Exactly right. That's the reason I fly to Geneva rather than Lyon. Today was a bad day on the roads, as far as Chambery in my case (driving from Les Arcs). Going uphill would have been a nightmare, and anyone on summer tyres might well have needed chains from as low as Moutiers. That's a long and very slow drive for anyone heading to Espace Killy, Paradiski, Trois Vallees, etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mmmmm to me it looks like chaining up was left too late......... Hence the no option but to stop where we did, meaning everyone else had to meaning if too many do then the road becomes blocked.

A N T I C I P A T I O N is the key word............. People should put chains on before they even start to lose traction.

I've heard of locals and tranfser drivers playing a little game of skittles and doing a little trick of opposite lock and full power when passing people chaining up in non sensible places...... So often you come round a hairpin where you need to increase speed to find a gaggle of tourists stopped in the road, reading the instructions and fighting with their chains they wonder what upsets locals/winter residents!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually in hindsight I shoulld have called this thread "caption competition" as it was meant to be more about the girl with a "Whale Tail" as opposed to a willy waving competion about putting chains on and the merits of snow tyres etc.

For the record, it wa a straight road, and we were only at 650ms with still another 20km to Bourg, not exactly hard core!

So what should a caption be?

"While you're down there Ma Pousse....can you give me a...........?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Or on some occasions do the police make you put on chains even if your tyres are still coping? I must admit I'm not enamoured with the idea of needing to fit chains onto soggy wet tyres - even with a stack of thin gloves, kneeling pads, old jacket etc. Even though I've just had fancy self adjusting chains from Santa.

yes, you can be required to put chains on snow tyres = happened to my brother in law, with a car hired at geneva. not often needed, though.

that picture is a classic! I put chains on this morning - less than two minutes a side, but it was in a dry garage. taking them off in loads of snow at the bottom of the hill was a wetter job, and probably we could have done without them, but there was so much snow on the road I thought we needed all the help we could get. It was before the first plough had been round.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK I'll have a go

"Well love - the instructions say put the wedge under the benchmark"
snow conditions
Surely it's 'does my arris look big in these' Toofy Grin
latest report
I like the way that everyone is assuming it's a woman - it could be a cross dressing man!
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
I like the way that everyone is assuming it's a woman - it could be a cross dressing man!

Oh come on men don't wear thongs ......

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a97212_g142_9-naugthy-police.jpg

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a97212_g142_8-xmas.jpg

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a97212_g142_15-dude.jpg
snow report
"Skid Free" (with a possible subscript of "if mounted correctly")

ps - was she fit? sometimes a view promises so much, then..... spoo
snow conditions
Hope thats a Thermal Thong Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Is that the self tensioning type?
snow report
Maggi trak all the way, 2 mins to put on (both sides).
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Weathercam, Hire in switzerland, winter tyres as standard Smile did the job for me years ago driving up to Les Gets in a blizzard, you did well with unfamiliar chains to get them on in such conditions!

It's a bit of a schlepp to Serre Chevalier though from Geneva when other airports are much closer. We have done it ourselves, and as it was April weren't given a winterised vehicle. We knew it was snowing on the Lauteret already and had to insist. Car hire desk also insisted no snow anywhere.
snow report
And as Weathercam, said it is a straight, level road 20 minutes from Grenoble (at most), and a very unlikely place to need to put on the chains. We (and him) must have done the journey many many times.
snow conditions
barry wrote:
"Skid Free" (with a possible subscript of "if mounted correctly")

ps - was she fit? sometimes a view promises so much, then..... spoo

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:

yes, very likely (not Laughing )
ski holidays
Ah the Whale Tail, I wonder if there is a matching Tramp Stamp to go with it?
snow conditions
As posted above - anticipation is the key. Having never used them before, got them with hire car just to be safe. Woke up Friday morning in Claviere to very heavy snow falling with more forecast so decided not to bother skiing on last day Sad but walked to Montgenevre instead. When we got back after lunch, with a 7:00 am start Saturday morning return to airport beckoning, we put the snow chains on then.

Saturday morning, got up, jumped in car and it was great knowing we didn't have to worry about chains (well apart from taking them off at some point). Much easier to put them on in daylight with no time pressure either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As recommended here, the bloke is waiting for her to get the rug out to go down on that
latest report
Quick post script in that I've not had to put chains on for years, and I was working it out, reckon I've been driving to the Alps on and off for over thirty years and can probably count on one hand number of times I've used chains, that said the past four years I've had snow tyres, and before that I'd had a Discovery and a 4x4 Fronterra, but this trip was renting a car after flying to Grenoble.

So today we went back over the Col du Lautaret 2057m from here in La Grave to Serre Che, was raining in LG when we left and was snow at 1800m once over the Col down to Serre it was snowing but not settling as it was a few degrees above freezing, however was aware of the forecasts, and mid afternoon did get a text from a mate who is a guide in LG advising me that the Col could well be tricky.

So we cut short our social plans and left Villeneuve where the snow as I mentioned above was not settling (15:45) and same true for Monetier as we drove through road was clear, then by Pont De l'Alpe, some 6km and 300m from Monetier had to put the chains on again, obvious big hint was all the cars coming back down with them on!

And whilst struggling away getting them on again did smile, recalling some of the comments on here with regards to practice and the like.

Spoke to a mate later who said that he should practice before coming out in Feb, so I told him that I'd help him by making it more real for him, making him park on a blind bend, that he had to lay down in a muddy puddle with the tyre caked in mud so you can't actually get the chain close to the tyre and can't get the all important links to join, and whilst he was doing all this in scratched dark sunglasses I'd be kicking him and pouring cold icy water over him Twisted Evil

And more of the same tomorrow when we drive up to Tignes Laughing
latest report
Why do people mess with chains, never needed them - Just get a Subaru instead
ski holidays
Quote:

Hire cars perhaps Puzzled
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
Why do people mess with chains, never needed them

You prefer to tie up your season workers with good old-fashioned rope?
ski holidays
dublin1 wrote:
Quote:

Hire cars perhaps Puzzled

That was difficult.

http://www.auto-vonbergen.ch/de/Info/Dienstleistungen/Mietwagen

Shocked
snow report
paulio wrote:
nixmap wrote:
Why do people mess with chains, never needed them

You prefer to tie up your season workers with good old-fashioned rope?

No they get a Subaru if its really necesary, to but all shops are accessible by skilift more or less.
snow report
nixmap, You dont know the area being discussed here then ? Nope thought not . Need a bloody massive ski lift
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
nixmap, You dont know the area being discussed here then ? Nope thought not . Need a bloody massive ski lift

Hey I didnt go off thread, see above. You dont need to mess with chains if you rent a sensible/have AWD car, its that simple.
snow conditions
See what i mean Cool

http://youtube.com/v/nTDNLUzjkpg
snow conditions
nixmap, point being there is probably a lack of sensible cars available at the airport in question.
ski holidays
Quote:

That was difficult.

http://www.auto-vonbergen.ch/de/Info/Dienstleistungen/Mietwagen

The point you are trying to make is ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy