Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How stupid can people be?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Christmas in paradiski and have to share an experience I had.
Christmas Day
Skied from Arc 1600 across to La Plagne and across to the fantastic omlette restaurant in Montalbert - beatiful cruise, good snow, the huge crowds not yet arrived. A fantastic omlette savoyard, glass of beer, relax and enjoy the view. Time to head back, walk to where I left my skis - only to find them gone (expletive self-edited)! What were left, 3 meters away were a short pair of entry level dynastars (the renter of which had engineered to ski off on my K2 Apaches, despite them being 4cm longer and considerably wider than the skis he should have had. Also his sweet little feet could not have clipped in as he skis left were no-where near my 28.5 boot base.

The skis left were from the Montalbert Intersport rental, so adjusted the bindings and dropped down to the shop, the manager, Serge, was able to look up the renter - yes a Brit (I will not publish his name - but I know who he is - a prime fcku-wit). As time was starting to press Serge was a star and sorted me with a new set of top notch atomics and just asked I drop them back - what a great guy.

Set off as we were now cutting the time very fine to get back across nearly the width of paradiski before the lifts closed. Just clipping in for the chair out of Montalbert and Serge came running - the Brit fcku-wit had just appeared in the shop. There followed a short exchange between said Brit FW and very cross SH along the lines of 'Why did you take skis that were no-where near where you left yours, the skis that were not the same size, make or colour and poles that were carbon and not shiney alloy?' Best this delighful, fat git could manage was that they were near his daughter's. Then recognised him as the guy who had walked up to the ESF instructor who was having lunch at the restaurant and demanded to know where the children's lessons took place.

Resisted the urge to take him outside and give him some physical reinforcement on good manners (I think Christmas Charity was getting the best of me) - but did explain that the only thing I wanted to hear was an appology.

Had to charge right across the domain and just got the last lift out of 1800 to get us back to 1600 as the light faded.

Take away message: you can never over-estimate how stupid some people can be, and Serge at Montabert Intersport is a true Good Guy, so good karma to Serge and bad karma to the fat, stupic git who cannot recognise his own skis.
snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Kenvyn,
Quote:

Serge at Montabert Intersport is a true Good Guy

He is indeed Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ian Kenvyn, full marks to Serge.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I started reading this I thought it was going to end with another pair of stolen skis. Thank god it didnt. I was having a chat with a
friend whos brother lives in Switzerland and she tells me the theft of skis is unheard of. Is this just a problem happening in France?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Kenvyn, My sympathies, not as bad but this happened to me last year at the L'Auberge(?, restaurant at the top of first chair out of Montchavin). I am a 6ft guy and have a pair of limited edition bandits. Came out after lunch and they were gone, my heart sank, spent 30 seconds or what seemed a life time looking for them to see in the distance some 4foot tall dozy cow trying to get her boots in the bindings.

I approached her and her group and politely asked her if she was sure the skis that did not look anything like hers and also were about a foot longer really were her's. She thought it was hilarious. I resisted the urge to tell her what I thought of her.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Kenvyn, Mrs BS just read your OP and said straight away 'that sounds like the d1ckhead that held up the lift queue by managing to block all four gates so his daughter could pust her way through the queue to catch up with 'Daddy' Brit fcku-wit inded!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, nope.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, rents skis shocker
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, f cough! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
Christmas Day
Skied from Arc 1600 across to La Plagne and across to the fantastic omlette restaurant in Montalbert - beatiful cruise, good snow, the huge crowds not yet arrived. A fantastic omlette savoyard, glass of beer, relax and enjoy the view. Time to head back, walk to where I left my skis - only to find them gone (expletive self-edited)! What were left, 3 meters away were a short pair of entry level dynastars (the renter of which had engineered to ski off on my K2 Apaches, despite them being 4cm longer and considerably wider than the skis he should have had. Also his sweet little feet could not have clipped in as he skis left were no-where near my 28.5 boot base.

So you're saying that he adjusted the size of the binding on the slope so they would fit his feet? If so, it sounds like theft. Otherwise, he's just a nitwit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
Renry, nope.

Aye, read that post after this one wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How stupid can people be? This week they have:

- asked me if they need insurance (Well, do you? How would I know?)
- asked me if they're insured via their bank cards (err .... have you thought of asking your bank?)
- told me they have insurance via their bank cards when I happen to know for a fact that they don't (maybe check before you go skiing?)
- told all their mates they'll pay by card then everyone will be insured (no they won't - have you thought about reading the terms of your own insurance at all?)
- thrown a paddy at me when the bank refused their card (because I hacked their account and emptied it yesterday, obviously)
- failed to understand how their own bank cards work (You paid a big fat fee for the extra service offered with this card. Why?)

....... etc. How we love peak season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JayAre wrote:
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
Christmas Day

So you're saying that he adjusted the size of the binding on the slope so they would fit his feet? If so, it sounds like theft. Otherwise, he's just a nitwit.

has to be theft dont you think, as i cant think af any reason for your boots changing size over a lunch time Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
- failed to understand how their own bank cards work (You paid a big fat fee for the extra service offered with this card. Why?)

To be fair, I once had to deal with somebody selling lift passes who didn't know how bank cards worked. She thought that everybody needed to select the option to pay in their home currency and she kept cancelling the transaction if you selected to pay in Euros.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JayAre wrote:
So you're saying that he adjusted the size of the binding on the slope so they would fit his feet?

Maybe he went into the Intersport because the bindings wouldn't fit.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
JayAre wrote:
So you're saying that he adjusted the size of the binding on the slope so they would fit his feet?

Maybe he went into the Intersport because the bindings wouldn't fit.

Yes, that's what I meant. If he brought the skis back to shop right away, then he's a nitwit. Otherwise, if it's a deliberate act on his part, then it's just plain theft in my book. I was just puzzled as to why the OP entitled the thread "How stupid can people be?".
snow report
rjs, there's some difference between that and not knowing how your own premium deferred debit card (for which you specifically shelled out twice the usual fee) works.

I've never been given a card which gives you the option to pay in a different currency, I have to say.
snow report
Neilski wrote:
JayAre wrote:
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
Christmas Day

has to be theft dont you think, as i cant think af any reason for your boots changing size over a lunch time Puzzled

No, he tried to clip his size 7s into my size 10s - and could not work out why his skis would not work!!!

Serge told my sons the lovely story of same F/W who when he came into collect his rental skis had his goggles on his head - Serge sorted him out - but said F/W then kicked off because someone had taken his goggles (which remained on his head!!!). What a beauty.
rolling eyes
snow report
^ Laughing
ski holidays
^ + 1 Laughing
snow report
Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
^ Laughing Hehehe...
snow report
Good story, now when are you buying that wire lock? Smile
latest report
ah the must be mine crew

So completely self absorbed that they will take the nearest/first item because it must be theirs. Like the joker who stole my EAT Club because he had been waiting 2 minutes, despite that not soundy anything like tuna melt and his name didnt even share any of the same letters as mine!!

I lock my skis precisely for this reason. I figure if theives want them, they are gone no matter what I do!
snow report
This thread is an emotional rollercoaster. I'm profoundly amused and chest-pain furious in equal measure.
ski holidays
Can I have a link to a "decent ski lock" thread please?
snow conditions
dudes

snowheads are so perfect
especially the ones who do not split their skis
when leaving them outside a gaff
out of sight and a walk away
unlocked
when the other side of paradski
late afternoon

ok bye
ski holidays
Quote:
Resisted the urge to take him outside and give him some physical reinforcement on good manners

Am I the only one who thinks there's something not quite right about all this macho 'hold me back' stuff?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, lot of people on this forum with very small willies, evidently. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, but big feet it seems Puzzled
snow conditions
Ian Kenvyn, Maybe if you tried locking your skis, the prime fcku-wit would have realised that they were not his. I just don't understand why more skiers don't habitually lock their skis: it's not hard, takes 10 seconds (max) and saves so much potential grief. Do you leave you car unlocked (and keys in the ignition) at your local supermarket??
ski holidays
RobW, What ski lock do you use? been thinking about doing it for a while now.
ski holidays
Listening to all the above and complaints of customers, I thought being a estate agent was tough! Incoming!
snow report
skid & slide, I use a basic cable combination lock, and quite a few ski friends do too: I've not actually had to lock my skis this last week or so as they've done it for me!

I've got at least three locks, most something like this: http://www.lockwoods.com/skis-ski-equipment/ski-maintenance-preparation-tools/dakine-micro-lock/prod_4115.html (but generic ones are available far cheaper..)

Okay, it's not going to stop a determined thief, but as the OP has demonstrated, most loss of skis is by incompetence rather than malice.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

To be fair, I once had to deal with somebody selling lift passes who didn't know how bank cards worked. She thought that everybody needed to select the option to pay in their home currency and she kept cancelling the transaction if you selected to pay in Euros.

Reminds me somewhat of the lady in the cash desk at the peclet gondola in Val thorens - more than capable of finding the list of bashed pistes for me but then very insistent that I took the local VT map rather than the 3v one, as she said 'it's easier too see the pistes' on the VT map. She was quite surprised when I held up the 3v map with the detailed VT section facing her; exactly the same resolution as the 'local' map..
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

for those that dont understand this, there is an option to pay in home currency (as in your home currency) with a lot of card acquiriers, now if you are on a fixed budget this can be a good idea as you will select, as an example £43.53 and then be only charged that, rather than xx.xx euros, with currency conversions, and charge added on. However the banks are only doing this because it makes them money. Never ever do this, unless you are absolutely on a fixed budget, you will lose out financially.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
now if you are on a fixed budget this can be a good idea as you will select, as an example £43.53 and then be only charged that, rather than xx.xx euros, with currency conversions, and charge added on. However the banks are only doing this because it makes them money. Never ever do this, unless you are absolutely on a fixed budget, you will lose out financially.

Your logic fails me. As the £43.53 will in 99.999981274% of cases be a lot worse than xx.xx euros, with currency conversions, and charge added on , surely if you are on a budget the latter is better - i.e cheaper??

(I used to say 100% of cases, but since Hertz in Frankfurt charged me in sterling despite me telling them not to, and then when I complained refunded me about 1/3 of the amount, there are occasions when being charged in sterling means you end up better off.)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 30-12-11 22:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Quote:
Resisted the urge to take him outside and give him some physical reinforcement on good manners

Am I the only one who thinks there's something not quite right about all this macho 'hold me back' stuff?

It is funny how people (men, women and children) get extra chippy on ski holidays. So, someone walks off with your skis... (a) it's your own fault (b) it might just be a mistake (still your own fault) and (c) even if it is theft (still your own fault), taking the criminal aside and beating the crap out of him is just further criminal activity (still your fault) and there's always the possibility of getting a conviction for GBH or some such. However, if someone recklessly skis or boards into you I do recommend giving them a good doin'.
snow conditions
I always select sterling and I'm always better off. My bank Metrobank and before that Nationwide (before they changed their terms) give the interbank rate, ie currently 1.2005 euros.

I don't think it's your own bank that gives the option, it's before they are contacted, it's whoever is dealing with the transaction.
ski holidays
Reckon this would work

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/squire-retractable-cable-bike-lock/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy