Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing skis for air travel?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there - having taking the plunge to buy my own skis this year I am anxious that I pack them correctly so they arrive in tact following a flight from the UK!

I have a single padded DAKINE ski bag which I have 100% confidence in but was curious as to whether I should just place my skis in the bag with the base of the skis facing in and the bindings outwards... clipped together as you do when carrying them normally... and then pad out with bits n pieces too? Or would it be better to unclip them and place bindings inwards??

Any thoughts/experiences? The last thing I want is damaged skis on arrival Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only sensitive piece of your skis is your bases (and even then they can take a fair bit of punishment). The skis themselves and the bindings take all sorts of crazy forces when they're in use, so you don't need to worry about them getting damaged in transit (at least they aren't likely to get damaged by anything that packing a few clothes around them will prevent). So clip your skis together bases facing in, as if you were carrying them around resort, and just pop them in your ski bag.

The only reasons to pack stuff around the skis are if you need the space (i.e. want to carry clothes in with the skis) or if you're worried about the skis shredding your ski bag (in my experience this tends to happen eventually whether you pack around them or not). Personally I tend to pack some stuff around my skis to let me travel with just a boot bag and a small rucksack...but I tend to wrap clothes up fairly well to make sure they don't get damaged by the skis!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sports tube
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with ChrisWo, and I put some old foam strips around the ski edges to stop them cutting the clothes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great - hoped that would be the case, thank-you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+ 1 Sports Tube
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scorpio21, Bubble wrap over bindings and Poles and get plenty of other heavy stuff in there, don't worry they'll take all that airports can throw at them! If you want cut up ski gear let the edges do their work......I never put ski clothes as padding, just heavy stuff I want to keep out of my 20kg hold allowance for main bag. Keep ski gear in main bag IME.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 30-12-11 20:02; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is reminding me of that 'helmet arrived in a damaged box' thread. Laughing

Re. 'Sports Tube'

Consider a typical 15kg ski carriage allowance.

Sports Tube weighs 5.5kg on its own for a 2 pair carrier and 3.5 kg for a single. Fail.

Just shove them into a lightweight, soft carry case & don't worry about them. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scorpio21, Weird I know but in the past I've put mine seperately into each leg of my sallopettes and then wrapped the remaining length in a fleece, then just pack in as much stuff as possible to take advantage of the extortionate rate Ryanair charge me for the privalige
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just have a big piece of foam kip mat which I tie around the skis. Then I can wrap clothes around them without the edges causing any damage.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If putting clothes in just use some tape to tape the skis together and then lob then in a bag
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or two of those rubber bands the postman drops
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic wrote:
Or two of those rubber bands the postman drops

Everywhere!! red rubber band dropping litter bugs. the lot of them!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm liking the bubble wrap around bindings idea - will keep the weight down too. I know there is an allowance but I have managed with 20kg in the past with boots too - this year we get 22kg plus the ski carriage (of 15kg ?) so should be fine. I did consider a sports tube but then decided on the Dakine - can fold that up in lockers at the indoor slopes in the UK - plus it looks really funky (IMO) Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moffatross wrote:
This is reminding me of that 'helmet arrived in a damaged box' thread. Laughing

Re. 'Sports Tube'

Consider a typical 15kg ski carriage allowance.

Sports Tube weighs 5.5kg on its own for a 2 pair carrier and 3.5 kg for a single. Fail.

A pair of big skis weighs around 7 kg so never an issue in practice. Hard cases like the SportTube do give the best protection if that's the priority.
ski holidays
moffatross, You're suggesting that sports tubes should be rejected by airlines because they're all over the allowance? Bit odd, seeing as I haven't had a problem on at least 10 trips with a sports tube.

Also, your maths is shocking.
snow conditions
scorpio21, You've asked the questions as you are clearly and justifiably worried about packing your nice new skis into a soft bag.
I clearly don’t agree with moffatross,
Quote:
Just shove them into a lightweight, soft carry case & don't worry about them. Little Angel

I have 2 x sportubes ( a single and the larger double/triple) and they really do protect your skis- Personally I'd advise buying the double unit and taking the max hand luggage allowance:

Perhaps doing your best with stiff card board/bubble wrap will help, but if you travel often and want peace of mind then the sport tube is more or less the only option that delivers this.
As for maths the triple holds 3 pairs, one of which includes the legendary (very heavy Titianium) Atomic Metron M EX =total 24Kg including the case and bindings. Simple matter to taken the Neox bindings if you need to save weight.
latest report
Whatever you do don't go skiing with your skis. Thousands are damaged or written off by this dangerous practice each year.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, That's outrageous -you'll be suggesting that serving your ski's wears out the edges or that we should all be using candle wax to save money Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Dr John, I don't have a Master's in Maths wink but it'd be hard to get wrong even without your Doctorate. Getting 11.5 kg worth of skis & poles into a single pair carrier weighing 3.5 kg would be practically impossible as the kit won't weigh enough but getting 2 sets weighing less than 9.5 kg into a double carrier weighing 5.5 kg is also practically impossible because it would weigh too much. On the other hand, the 15 kg ski carriage allowance will allow many folk to carry 2 pairs of skis & poles provided they don't have a bag that already weighs 5.5 kg in the first place.

Jivebaby, three pairs of skis, a set of poles and a soft carry bag can also weigh less than 15kg if you remove some bindings ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84001#1934690

As for travelling often, apart from 2 or 3 alpine trips a season, I sling 3 or 4 sets of skis loose into the back of my car with ski boots, shovel, tools and several hard, sharp children many times a winter, they slip and slide about all over the place over the journeys and never come to any harm. I just can't imagine what possible extra damage could happen to skis in flight transit inside a soft bag nor by extension, any circumstance that a solid case might be better.
snow conditions
moffatross, All of which ignores the fact that sport tubes, presumably containing skis, are a trasported by airlines all over the world every day of the year. What does your maths say about that?
latest report
moffatross, A. the 24kg was a real-life-example ergo I did not imagine it or leave it to someone else to imagine or not = My 3 pairs or skis, case etc did actually weigh in at 24kg. Why the hell would I want to try and imagine how or why 3 pairs could hypothetically weigh something in the region of 15kg in a case when I already know that all in my target is 24kg, which i can adjust by removing the Neox's from my Atomic's.

i'm also slightly puzzled why you keep using a 15kg allowance unless you own your own airline- if so I cannot imagine why you'd care - in the same way you
Quote:
I just can't imagine what possible extra damage could happen to skis in flight transit inside a soft bag nor by extension, any circumstance that a solid case might be better.
I think perhaps both of us are best left dealing with facts rather than a Gordon Brown type fantasy involving imaginary numbers
Embarassed
ski holidays
Just packing to head off now, 2 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of poles and 2 pairs of boots all in a scott twin ski bag and just coming in under the 23kg hold allowance on a transatlantic flight.......

All I did was wrap the skis in bubble wrap to protect them from the boots scuffing the top sheet and taped the buckles of the boots closed just in case
latest report
RDSpearing, that sounds nicely managed. Hope you have a good time while most of us are at work. Cool

Jivebaby, that's how internet forums work though isn't it ? scorpio21 asked a specific question about how to pack a single pair of skis into their padded Dakine bag, somebody else sent the train of thought on a tangent by writing 'Sports Tube' and most of the rest of the thread has been a load of useless crap about stuff that is related to personal interests and experiences. So inevitably, we've ended up in pointless, circuitous arguments about something completely different. Tell me I'm wrong and you're right. Laughing

Great fun it is but Mrs moffatross just doesn't get it at all. rolling eyes
snow report
moffatross, That'll be you blathering about the weight of a double sports tube, presumably?
snow report
One thing to note with Transatlantic flights, Air Canada will not take responsibility for damage to skis if they are packed in a soft bag. It's stated clearly in their T&Cs that they will only cover skis packed in a hard case. So you see a lot of SportTubes in Vancouver and Calgary arrivals, although there are plenty of soft bags too. Never been pulled up on weight with a double SportTube either. I'd suggest it's a none-issue, but maybe somebody has had an issue with budget airlines? Anyone?
snow conditions
moffatross - you are right Little Angel but reading the comments has been informative, thought provoking and often amusing - but yes my well padded dakine bag is how they will be transported - with the edges together and bubble wrap around the bindings Little Angel
latest report
I put my skis together as you usually would, then fit pipe cladding over the edges and tie/tape it all together. Used to faff with bubble wrap on the bindings but can't be bothered with that now !

I don't pad out with clothes, they'd be ruined by dirt/ski edges.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy