Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible / sensible to ski off piste from pointe d'arbaron to sarbotte piste? My friends and I are staying in refuge du golf and getting onto sarbotte looks possible on the piste map / google maps but Has anyone actually done it?

Cheers,
Dan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
danmcc12, I can't remember that piste (it's a long time since I was there) but I'd say don't ski off piste at Flaine if you are unfamiliar with the terrain- there are some very nasty holes waiting for you. Really. More from PisteHors.com.

Quote:
The whole of the Flaine bowl is chalk based. A chemical action of water and salt deposits erodes large holes in this rock, rain water then runs into these holes further eroding the surface into large irregular channels, this surface is known as Lapiaz (sometimes Lapiez in the Savoie). From the point of view of the skier or snow shoer going off-piste the dangers are the same as crossing glaciated terrain. Snow bridges of varying strength form across these fissures and particular care should be taken early in the season or in seasons with poor snow fall. There are deaths and serious injuries every year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flaine has lots of hidden 'holes' in the rocks that the snow covers up quite nicely look at the pictures in the gondola station and you may reconsider skiing off piste without a guide.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
danmcc12, errr yes, but massively prone to avalanches... a couple of people are killed every year on the run!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wouldn't be worried about holes in this area - seen in summer the slope looks quite good
That said, I asked one of the long time ski instructors in Flaine I know about this route and he also mentioned the avalanche danger & warned me off
He did however say there have been plans to open up this area but only if the lift infrastructure improved - maybe the Montsoliel expansion will encourage this investment
Good OP question though
Personally I'd also be put off by the hike - it's along way up from the Refuge du Golf to Pointe D'Arbaron
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can, I have done it lots of times. Best way is bus up to the xc ski area then use the groomed trail to walk/skin etc to as high as possible. then cut off the xc track towards the obvious high point of the Abaron. From the top the entry is steep and fairly cliffy so watch out - it then opens up to a really nice big open face.... Cool you join the sarbotte at the bottom and head in to Les Carroz.

There are no holes (lapiaz) in the area. People have been killed in avalanches on the abaron but as long as you pick appropriate condition it is a fairly safe run.

obviously the usual off piste knowledge is needed....and I suspect if you are asking then its probably not for you.

norris
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy