Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poor eye sight + flat light

Poster: A snowHead
My husband and I started skiing together, obvs skied same resorts + had pretty much same amount of tuition. He has kittens every time light less than brilliant, I really don't notice that much. After a dull patch yesterday when he and our host both moaned copiously I did begin to wonder if my rubbish eyes (wear contacts but they don't correct as well as my glasses) just mean I always see less well hence am not as bothered when light goes. Has anyone else noticed a similar effect? Could this be the one benefit of pants eye sight??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dude

get some goggles that are good for flat light
ones that cut out blues and gray type colors
some work better than others
yellow and magenta work for me
makes a huge difference
alternatively stop skiing in flat light

ok bye

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 29-12-11 20:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I'm mid-forties and the 'minces' aren't what they used to be. I use a 3 way system, Bolle Scream goggles which are on helmet, Oakley Hijinx sunnies (on face) and naked eyes. In a flat light situtation, I flip through all three options until one wins. The reason why I've mention the various brands and models of my eyewear is not to big myself up, but to express that a bit of quality can help. I've tried most 'top end' brands of sunglasses over the years and now consider Oakley to be the best optically. Prior to owning a pair, I would've written Oakleys off as being slightly gimmicky sportswear. My Hijinx are getting a little battle scarred, but never fail to impress. Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
yellow and magenta work for me

And pale magenta works for me. I usually carry a pair in my rucksack in case of flat light.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hubby seems to be blaming cr*p light for his cr*p skiing wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think poor technique gets caught out by flat light (I include myself in that). Those who can easily handle unseen changes in terrain don't seem to be affected by flat light.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Use the force...

(as I was told in flat light).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lol Whitegold - neither of us claim to be good skiers as have only been skiing 3 years. It was more the fact I don't notice than that he moans that caused me to post!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
katedenhaag Goggles that turn flat light bumpy are made by the same people as football boots that make you shoot like Wayne Rooney.

Beer Goggles are the best bet for your hubby (no offence)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 29-12-11 22:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had the same discussion with OH today. I really struggle with flat light but he seems not to notice. His argument is that as a specs wearer he is used to less than perfect vision and doesn't therefore struggle when the light is against us.

I think it's time for me to look at other coloured goggles as my amber ones are craap in flat light!*

*although it may be my technique showing me up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski in a resort with tree lined runs
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Funny you say that, our instructor told us the same last week and lo and behold he was right. Trouble is it doesn't help much till you're halfway down.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree. Poor eyesight+flat light=getting used to the odd unexpected bump/dip/hollow/ice patch/rock and this experience helps your skiing generally.

katedenhaag, do you both ski the same in a whiteout when your advantage of pants eyesight doesn't make any difference?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think poor technique gets caught out by flat light

I think a lot of people unknowingly psyche themelves out in flat light and forget what technique they do have. They need to concentrate on the basics (which they can probably do in good light) like weight forward at start of turn, good pole plant (this is your best friend in poor light), making s-shaped turns etc etc instead of thinking OMG where is the slope going, sit back defensively, skid turns with little control...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gra, You are right, however sometimes with good reason. Few years back I skied off the edge of the piste, fortunately only about a 3 feet drop but was worse than stepping up a non existant step in the dark. I know my goggles are not great but they have yellow tinted lenses. so far I think my best defence is to slow down try not to get psyched out or I lose the ability to slow and stay in control. I am working on the technique in 8 days, cant wait, hope for good light and no ice Laughing
snow report
katedenhaag, your explanation sounds reasonable.
My eyes-closed balance is not wonderful - I rather rely on my sight. However if I keep doing quite strong turns in a white-out the centrifugal forces dominate my sense of ballance and that seems to help.
snow report
Quote:

His argument is that as a specs wearer he is used to less than perfect vision

Surely as a wearer of specs his vision is perfect, isn't that the purpose of the specs?.

I was standing outside a hut on the Kitzbüheler Horn once and could see skiers over at Bichlalm, surprised my mate said 'blimey you've got good eye sight' er well yes, thats because I was wearing my specs.
snow report
Helpful discussion knowing that others are in the same boat (on the same slope?) here.

I've never found a pair of goggles/sunglasses that meet their manufacturers' claims when it comes to flat light no matter how many different colours they put in their lenses nor how much they increase their prices. I have an ancient pair of Vaurnet sunnies which give a little definition in flat light but they are nothing magical much as a I love them.

Perhaps using "the force" may be the best practical answer although the only 100% effective solution I have found is to walk into a bar...
ski holidays
Ouch!!!
snow conditions
Flat light today out there, my solution is a Full English Breakfast followed by a full French lunch, and then ski in the trees snowHead
ski holidays
only had a quick scan thru but I'm not sure if anyone mentioned 'OTG' - over the glasses goggles? Not sure if it would be of any use to you but I can't imagine that it would be a bad idea?
latest report
Dudes

Soft feet
helped by the force

ok bye
ski holidays
If you are on piste and you can see the piste markers then there's no reason to leave the piste. The piste will undulate but the change is rarely that sudden that you won't be able to cope with it - at least that's what I tell myself!!

It's a bit like skiing with your eyes closed so I don't think less than perfect eye-sight has anything to do with it. +1 for making a good pole plant to help you keep in shape. +1 for finding a bar if the light is crap everywhere.
ski holidays
Whether or not I can see contrast less well than most as a general rule poor light only seems to do my skiing favours if today is anything to go by.... Not a single girls blouse moment all day.
snow report
If it helps, I can tell you that Smith Phenom goggles changed my life, or at least the parts of it lit by flat light. I now use the same goggles for all light conditions and they are brilliant - never fog up, never let me down (yes, I'm humming Rick Astley here).
The lens I use is rosy pink and spherical with a reflective finish (this ain't the technical name, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is really called) It's either this one http://smithoptics.eu/products/#/Goggles/Snow+Goggles/Snow+Goggle+Replacement+Lenses/Phenom+Replacement+Lenses/view/
or the Ignitor mirror.
snow conditions
Isn't rose-tinted best?
ski holidays
To my knowledge, yellow is meant to be best suited for flat light/whiteouts.

Not used rose tinted, but I do have a yellow lens and it does help.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy