Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which fat ski to upgrade quiver

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
currently am skiing on SL race skis on piste and scott crusades (92mm underfoot) as all rounders -last year that combo did me fine, but the crusades (with their big sidecut - 15m radius) are not the easiest skis in heavy/deep snow, or crust / wind affected snow, so i am thinking that a nice fat, rockered ski would be an excellent complement to my quiver. Plan is to demo 2 or 3 but i would appreciate some help narrowing down the options, never having skied anything fatter than 92mm before.
I'm 6 ft/80 kg and usually get 5-6 weeks in the alps each season. Pistes and itineraries are no problem, what I want is to do some of the classic backcountry in places like verbier / chamonix and have more fun on the powder days when they do come.
So, any ideas? Boutique or main manufacturer? Any standout models- whitedot redeemers (and most other models) get a good press round here? Where can I get a pair of WD reds to demo if they are the one? or is a jump to 130mm underfoot too much? How much rocker is best? Any other qustions to ask?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spiceman, try the Directors over the Redeemers IMO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spiceman, The older generation of snowHead will tell you how skis have got fatter and fatter over the years-even at the ripe old age of 29 I've seen what would have been an off piste ski by previous standards in terms of width become classed as an all mountain or even piste ski. What I'm getting at is unless you have money to burn 130mm is just too wide IMHO for a recreational skier. The widest I've owned is 115mm and once I'd starting skiing recreationally i.e. no more season I quickly realised for someone doing <8-10 weeks a season they a bit pointless I'd say I do 6-10 weeks a season now and for a couple of years the fatties maybe only got maybe 10 days use. My main do it all ski is also 92mm underfoot and I've done some serious guide days on them on for what to me is the typical european conditions for someone doing that number of weeks. I'm happy to use them all day every day on and off piste while something 130mm will be like trying to ski the Titanic on piste and likely far too soft too.

A good skier can pretty much ski anything in any conditions so I think IMO investing in your off piste technique rather than anything silly wide is the way to go and maybe demo or rent a pair of fatties if you happen to get the conditions for them while you're there.

If I were to ever to do a full season or move aborad within reach of a ski area that would be about the only time I'd get something above 100mm again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
5-6 weeks a season is quite a lot and if you have the cash I guess you could invest in a ski for niche conditions. That said, I'll partly echo Grizwald and Alans deep bath - 130ish seems too much, something around 100-115 with rocker would be more versatile, give up almost nothing in deep snow performance and still be a big difference from your current skis.

At least that's what I told myself when I bought two pairs of 112 mm-waisted skis to complement my all Euro-mountain 92mm Tankers. (I went for ON3P Wrenegades and DPS 112 RPs...hybrids)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cham and Mayrhofen are our main demo areas, drop me a PM if you're around the 'Hof as I've got 180/190 Reds, 188 Directors and 189 Preachers with demo bindings if you fancy?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

A good skier can pretty much ski anything in any conditions

agreed, but I guess the big question I have is as follows: 2 days ago i skied a long itinerary with bumps and a fair bit of fresh on SL skis - good for balance and edge control practice, but really hard to get any flow, rhythm and attack. Next day I skied a similar run on the crusades, this time with way more flow & rhythm and overall much more fun. My technical skill level was clearly the same from day to day, and I continue to enjoy developing it, but it is quite clear which was the most fun exerience. So the question is, will an upgrade to fatter skis lead to more fun...on more terrain? If so, then the investment is more than interesting...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Salomon Czar
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spiceman wrote:
, what I want is to do some of the classic backcountry in places like verbier / chamonix and have more fun on the powder days when they do

That's where I've skied the last few seasons

Quote:
So the question is, will an upgrade to fatter skis lead to more fun...on more terrain? If so, then the investment is more than interesting...

It did for me

I'm skiing Volkl Kuros and love them. Plenty of other good options about - get to Cham and try a few out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love my Ross S7s, so much so I don't even bring SL or GS skis away with me anymore.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy