Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz 6th Jan 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Going to Avoriaz on the 6th Jan and want the low down about all that there is to do...
I'd say I was a strong skier, I like to spend half a day in the park and the other finding hidden trails off the groomed track.

Where should I go, what should I avoid and basically any tips for a successful week.

Cheers,
Al
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
allybrown360,

This might help!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allybrown360, avoid south-facing off-piste. The have been some huge, natural slides on these aspects. Whilst the slopes have stabilised there are some huge cracks / gaps that the 50+ cm in the forecast is only going to hide, rather than filling.

(Without wishing to sound like your mother) Just because it's off-piste and been skied it doesn't make it safe or sensible to follow. There are a awful lot of numpties out there who don't do any risk assessment before they ski a slope.

If you like parks then do consider heading over to Les Crozets and Mont Chery, both of which have good parks. They are planning on putting an airbag on the Mont Chery one, but I don't know if they've gotten around to it yet.

Do get over to Plaine Dranse / Pre la Joux / Linga and over to Les Crozets.

Don't overlook the Hauts Forts area above Prodains. There's lots more skiing there than is immediately apparent.

I would encourage you to obey "piste closed" signs. They seldom close pistes in the area because they're "holding them back" (as they do in some resorts). If they're closed it'll either be because of there's a risk of avalanche onto the slope from above (sometimes a risk of the slope itself going) or because there's a "lack of snow" - so rocks, ditches, etc. As you don't know the area then I'd encourage you to err on the side of caution.

The hidden trails are hidden for a reason. No can tell wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, skiied there quite a bit already this season and last 3 before. Would agree with the above and add that there is lots of fun to be had off the top of the chauz fleurie lift in all directions. The main park in avoriaz is looking good this year (take express de stade for shorter ques, and button lift from there)

enjoy!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alex SWeekender wrote:
fun to be had off the top of the chauz fleurie lift in all directions

Completely agree, but would advise against skiing off-piste down to the Linderats side for the immediate future. It's southerly facing, there's been lots of sliding and even if it looks great in the next few days there will be some real nasties (snow cracks up to 1m deep) under the snow...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice, currently waxing the skis ready to go. Can't wait!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy