Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone used Satski app for Andriod phones

Poster: A snowHead
Decided to buy the HTC and as a result cant seem to get Ski Traks apps which is availble on the iphone and was mentioned on this website (if anyone know where the Andriod version is, please let me know)

I have found a similar one called Satski (£3.20 app but dont mind paying) as long as I know it works well. You download the maps in advance so no roaming charges, but just wandering if anyone has used this before I pay for it. the Lite (free) version doesnt do much so pointless downloading it

Failing that, anyone else used Android ski apps that work well and no internet/roaming charges. Just went for a walk used the free version of "All sports" app and it used the internet to map my walk which is annoying and would be very expensive in France

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use an app called My tracks for mountain biking, seems to work nicely, records where you've been and max speed, elevation and loads of other stats. I turn on flight mode and that stops the roaming charges, and then when you have WiFi access it loads the maps and shows you where you've been using the GPS coordinates I think. Something like that anyway, I think it was free so even if its not quite what your after it might be worth a try? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've used SatSki and its not bad; quite powerful tools to look at what you've done afterwards if you have a PC and can be bothered! You might get the occasional "interesting" reading in terms of speed, but that's as much down to the hardware as the programme. I think you can do overlays in google earth, etc too...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers jamster & F-Kipper. WIll carry on looking into it. Not sure if its worth buying one. mainly want somethig to tell me how far we have skiid and maybe average speed. Not bothered about all added extras. Will prob use it on first day and then not bither due to paranoia about roaming charges and hands being too cold to check stats!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
is using GPS on you phone free when abroad?

I always thought it would cost so have never bothered with any of these apps, although it looks like I may this year
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

Thought replied earlier but hadn't I got Satski on my HTC Desire last year in Tignes and had huge issues with both satellite connection and battery power.

It genuinely uses no net connection and works in aeroplane mode but uunfortunately I won't be purchasing for my trip to Val D'isere this year.

Will be watching to see if a soluution worth trying this year comes up thouugh Happy

Saw on the "View From Val D'isere" thread a comment someone had GPS goggles with a heads up display now that with a record feature would rock! (Yes it is sad for a 41 yr old to say something Rocks!!!) Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is meant to be good http://www.alpinereplay.com/me?id=3101
I personally use this http://www.sportstracklive.com/ and found it great for all my sports and it works with bluetooth hr transmitter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hutchy wrote:
is using GPS on you phone free when abroad?

I always thought it would cost so have never bothered with any of these apps, although it looks like I may this year

As with most things technical, it depends.

GPS is free, satellites beam their signals constantly, your device processes the signal to work out where you are. The bit that might cost you money is the app itself going on the Internet to process the data.

For example, to work out your location (GPS) is free, but if the app downloads a map to show you where you are, you might need to pay for the data. To get around this, some apps keep an 'offline' copy of the map so that no data use is required.

Happily I believe that within the EU there is now a cap on mobile data charges so things are getting better.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a Desire HD at the time; I turned off roaming and that stopped it trying to use mobile base stations to boost the GPS; my understanding is that if its only recieving GPS timing signals, it will cost nothing. Mine certainly didn't; I downloaded the resort map before going though! It will do average speed and it should seperate distance ski'd from uplift distance too...

I don't remember battery poor being any worse than an admittedly low baseline...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use AlpineReplay on my Samsung Galaxy Ace (Android)... The battery on my phone is awful anyway but the app didn't drain it any quicker than normal! Worked really well, uses GPS and seemed pretty accurate with altitude at stuff (+/- 2m). Really surprised as it was a free app!! Worth a shot, even to try it since its free
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've used it on an HTC Hero and liked it. There's no data roaming charges, provided you've downloaded the map before you leave (and you're not using the "buddy" option to find where your mates are on the mountain!).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used sat ski on a htc desire for a week last year in Les Arcs/La Plagne.

Seemed to work ok, had some good tools, like where it would plot you a route between lifts/runs, give you an estimated time to get there etc.. useful as I didnt know the resort.
The logging also worked fine, tho people back at home werent that interested wink

Biggest issue I had was battery life. With the gps on, I couldnt quite get a full day before the phone died..

I've just looked as I thought I might use it in Cervinia next week, but it appears they dont have the map, or Zermatt for that matter Evil or Very Mad

I'd certainly give it a go tho.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used Satski in PDS this Jan and it was pretty good. I have a Desire HD and the battery is poor so I always carry a charged spare anyway. GPS does not require a mobile network connection so is free but some of the other features like buddy tracking do.

There are some decent android widgets available - I use one called 'Widgetsoid Switcher' that is customisable and lets me easily toggle mobile network, wifi, brightness ect. which can really help with battery life and roaming charges.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
toby wright wrote:

I've just looked as I thought I might use it in Cervinia next week, but it appears they dont have the map, or Zermatt for that matter Evil or Very Mad

Are you my twin?? Off there is about 3 weeks. I have got the map though - but you need the Zermatt one. I've just checked to be sure...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers all. Downloaded a free full version app SPORTS TRACKER-mentioned above. Works really well. Doesn't use any internet if u turn it off on phone. it maps ure journey, speed, distance. V clever. If u connect 2wifi (when back in hotel) the saved info will show on Google maps (not available when skiing as u turn roaming off 2avoid cost but if u keep internet on when skiing it shows maps live. Really useful 2see how far u skiid at end of day and being free helps! Hope above makes sense-typing on phone
latest report
Cheers all. Downloaded a free full version app SPORTS TRACKER-mentioned above. Works really well. Doesn't use any internet if u turn it off on phone. it maps ure journey, speed, distance. V clever. If u connect 2wifi (when back in hotel) the saved info will show on Google maps (not available when skiing as u turn roaming off 2avoid cost but if u keep internet on when skiing it shows maps live. Really useful 2see how far u skiid at end of day and being free helps! Hope above makes sense-typing on phone
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy