Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains for Chamonix?

Poster: A snowHead
I am heading out to Chamonix this Thurs and see Chamonix.com is forecasting 20cm on both thurs and fri. Havent booked any snow chains with the car as I didnt think i would need them given the altitude of the resort. Thinking maybe i should get them as I remember a hairy trip up to tignes a few years ago - would never have got up the mountain without them!

Is there much snow in the town ? I assume the road conditions are clear at the minute? Does anyone know what the road conditions generally get like ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think deep down you know the answer wink Chamonix is better with a car as the ski areas are disjointed but keep an eye on that forecast and make a decision last minute maybe?
PPPPPP Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10196986, gendarmes are within their rights to not let you up the road without chains, hire them, learn how to put them on BEFORE you need them and voila - safe driving Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having got stuck on the Viaduct road up to Chamonix a few years ago and seen lots of cars falling off the roads along the Cham Valley in recent years I would say yes you do need them,.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
10196986, Roads currently mostly clear but some snow forecast Thursday and Friday - given that it took 4 hours and 2 sets of chains to get one of our ciients cars up our hill, probably best have them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

given that it took 4 hours and 2 sets of chains to get one of our ciients cars up our hill,

was that just bad luck, or cheap and nasty chains. friends visiting here this week had chains all the way from just above Sallanches, and have broken several links. He's a handy guy though, had spares, and fixed them. They look pretty flimsy but he got them for v cheap off ebay. I wouldn't go anywhere this coming weekend without chains, given the forecast. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.chamonix.com/road-conditions,10,en.html

This link is updated regularly.

On the road/motorway as far as the tunnel, and the main town chains are rarely neede,howeveer if your accomodation is up a hill like under a new name, then you may well need some. From Chamonix as far as Le praz it's cleared quickly after any snow, from Le praz to Argentiere it gets steeper and it can take a while after snow for it to be passable without snow tyres or chains. The road beyond argentiere is difficult often for quite a while after bad weather. The recent snow caused lots of difficulities.

Presumably you are getting a car to make travelling around when you are there easier, so given its likely both GM and Le tour will be tricky, get the chains and top up the insurance as there are lots and lots of minor and not so minor prangs along the road.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, To an extent, cheap and nasty from eBay chains at least for the first pair, 2nd pair were more substantial, as found in Carrefour or Total locally, albeit 9mm not 15mm. Plus particularly slippy snow and a steepish hill.

That said, a number of locals with 2wd and snow tyres were struggling.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

That said, a number of locals with 2wd and snow tyres were struggling

Yep, I've come close to needing chains a few times, in these snowy days. I've had to rock the car back and forth, or drop back a few yards to get some traction, more than once. When people say they've had snow tyres and never had to put on chains for X years I wonder sometimes whether they've been lucky or I've been unlucky, or they just drive on main roads. When there's only one ploughed track up a road and a bus comes towards you, downhill, in the middle of it, there's sometimes no choice but to take to the deep stuff and hold the breath.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, exactly right - we have snow tyres and have not put chains on for years but we had to the other day - very slippy snow, car loaded with skis for lots of people who were meeting up later and a full tank of diesel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh what a charmed life some have.

If only, if only , the biggest problem I had right now was whether I should have booked snow chains for Chamonix because they have had, are having, will have so much snow!

Go on - rub it in....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

When people say they've had snow tyres and never had to put on chains for X years I wonder sometimes whether they've been lucky or I've been unlucky,

I haven't put chains on since 2006 Happy but I do have a set in the boot, you never know when you might need them. I wouldn't drive up to Chamonix on Th. or Fr. without them in the car though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1st visit to chamonix so cheers for all the info. Think I will be getting them given the forecast . Hopefully car hire place has them in stock!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in Chamonix today and all the access roads were clear, but I noticed that some of the side roads up by Brevent were still snow covered, but passable. Personally I'd err on the safe side and rent some if fresh snow is forecast.

Although the access roads were clear, a white van managed to slide through 90 degrees, I'm guessing because he wasn't paying attention and mounted the snow covered edge of the road.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ed123, eh? Puzzled
ski holidays
10196986, rain/snow limit for the snow later this week is set to be low (400/500m) on the forecast I have seen so probs makes sense to have chains...
snow conditions
10196986, where are you renting the car from?
latest report
Carhire 3000. Have used them before and they were good. Hopefully they will have chains available.
snow conditions
Car hire place have told me that they have no chains . Does anyone know if you can buy chains anywhere conveniently in the way to chamonix ?
snow report
10196986, Either Annemasse, Migros supermarket (right by the autoroute with its name up in big red lights) or Sallanches - Carrefour. come off at Sallanches, then the centre commerciale is on the right as you run into Sallanches. Best go back onto the autoroute rather than carry on through Passy etc.

Chamonix meteo say light snow Thursday, big snow Friday. Maybe half a metre. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Cheers pam w!
latest report
10196986, If not Carrefour, there is, I think, a Feu Vert in Sallanches or definitely a Roady in Domancy. PS get 15mm version if you can...
snow conditions
Quote:
Special winter equipment required to access all ski resorts in the Savoie / Haute Savoie / Isere / Hautes Alpes

AIN / HAUTE-SAVOIE: les conditions de conduite sont difficiles sur l'A40 (sur 22 km) entre les départements de l'Ain et de la Haute-Savoie, entre les communes de Neyrolles (Les) et de Éloise. Circulation délicate sur une voie, prudence...
HAUTE-SAVOIE: impossible d'accéder à la D1506, dans les deux sens, à hauteur de Vallorcine. La route est coupée dans les deux sens; le col des Montets est fermé pour tous les véhicules.
Stockage de véhicules, applicable aux poids lourds de plus de 7,5 tonnes sur la N205, à hauteur de Chamonix-Mont-Blanc. La route est coupée dans les deux sens. Chutes de neige en cours

Circulation délicate également sur l’A51, entre Le Crozet et le col du Fau, sur l’A430, entre Chamousset et Albertville, ainsi que sur l’A41 Nord, entre St-Martin-Bellevue et St-Julien en Genevois, déneigement en cours.
ski holidays
Saw lots of crashed cars today - watched the car in front of me drive straight into an oncoming car - nothing more than cracked number plates though - most of these were people creeping along at 10kph with snow tires on and some even with chains as well. It's very slippery out there beware.

It's all going to turn to mush tomorrow, then freeze over and snow again in the next few days Wink
snow conditions
Idris, The only issues I saw today, and there were many, involved a not so subtle mix of summer tyres and outright stupidity.

The latter directed specifically at the idiot who couldn't get up our hill but had to make a delivery and simply parked in the middle of the road at the bottom of the hill while walked up and prevented anyone else getting up or down.
snow conditions
Monstrous snow fall overnight. Come prepared.
snow report
Quote:

The latter directed specifically at the idiot who couldn't get up our hill but had to make a delivery and simply parked in the middle of the road at the bottom of the hill while walked up and prevented anyone else getting up or down.

Shocked

It's going to be another difficult transfer day, isn't it? The weather gods are like that. Good luck everyone out on the roads; be patient. wink
snow report
Main problem over the next 12 hours is he avalanche risk as the thaw causes a number of natural purges which could hit or at least threaten roads. Mt Blanc tunnel is closed until tomorrow. Les Arcs was closed this morning but is now open. La Clusaz road is blocked.

Chains still mandatory to access ski resorts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, There are 3.5 routes to our house. The police had blocked 1.5 due to an unfortunate conjunction of 3 cars with a snowplough. Cunningly, they had all arrived from different directions. No chains, no snow tyres.

The lady's front bottom with the van had blocked one. A queue of cars behind trying to get down.

Leaving one uber steep, narrow, angled path, little known but thankfully passable.
latest report
davidof, Road fron the Vagabond to the Vert closed due avalanche risk. Disturbingly close to town.
latest report
Got up to les houches no problem. Done nothing but snow since! Great day skiing yesterday. Today good but visibility poor even in les houches . Traffic in the town is a nightmare. I'm sure there has been 40-50 cm at 1000m . Rain on now though
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy