Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching yourself telemark.

Poster: A snowHead
Today was a rather fruitful day where I learned the following valuable things..

1.If the nothing seems to work for you in the first hour and you're all over the place even though the other day you were okay. Then check your boots aren't still in walk mode!!

2. Don't get cocky, what passes as tolerable on a red doesn't of a steep black.

3.Crashes are 100 times more spectacular.

4.Crashes are 1000 times more painful.

5.Crowds like to gather around a skier that is lying crumpled in the snow not moving.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:

5.Crowds like to gather around a skier that is lying crumpled in the snow not moving.

LOL at the virtual video playing in my head!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
papasmurf, wait til you can actually turn and ski a bit then wait for the incredible pains
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
well its not a good days skiing if there wasn't some pain! I'm hoping the tele pain gets less though..needs to do some more lunges

abc, wish i could replay it..have no memory except for the moment of going "oh dear" and then just lying in the snow swearing heavily.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 23-12-11 21:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
papasmurf wrote:
well its not a good days skiing if there wasn't some pain! I'm hoping the tele pain gets less though..needs to do some more lunges

It gets worse before it gets better.

Much worse! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't get much worse Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
are you kept awake all night by spasm in your thighs? Are you scared by just looking at stairs? Does the prospect of sitting of the loo make you want to throw up?

If yes- then sure it can't get worse.

If no- oh dear oh dear oh dear what fun awaits you!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm. For me the crashes are 1000 times more probable but a lot less painful because I can't ski as fast Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skise, I have only just stopped hurting from a crash in Feb 2011, knee and thumb/wrist mashed. A sudden drop at a piste intersection- flattish so going fast then a drop I didn't see- pain!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Papasmurf, it gets better and just to let you know I ski in walk mode except for racing then I take them out of walk mode. It's really helpful in powder. Hang in there it gets easier, although opening day quads and glutes will always get you with tele. Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
papasmurf wrote:
3.Crashes are 100 times more spectacular.

Those extra degrees of freedom really do it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I ski in walk mode except for racing then I take them out of walk mode. It's really helpful in powder.

I ski in walk mode as well, although I admit that when I first learned I found that difficult & had to have my boots in ski mode. When you come from an alpine background your tendency is to move weight forward & ski mode helps with that. Boots in ski mode feel more like alpine boots, ergo it's more comfortable.

Papasmurf- stay tall. keep weight moving up & down (like a piston) as opposed to moving your body weight forward. Maybe get a lesson from a good instructor? Some of the advice I've gotten has helped me make leaps & bounds! I've stopped landing on my face as much during falls!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Couple of extra lessons from a self-taught telemarker (still not-particularly-good although I have had a whole 2 hours of proper lessons now!):

(1) People will literally point and stare at you, even when you're *not* in the process of falling over! A chairlift right next to the piste is a constant source of gawping critics! Good job I'm thick-skinned in that regard Happy This does not apply in Norway, it seems, since there are so many telemarkers around.

(2) Don't try and practice telemark on a dry slope unless you specifically want to feel like an absolute idiot and gain a collection of massive bruises on your hips.

(3) Practice your alpine turns using the tele gear, that way if you're a decent alpine skier to start with, you can still get around all the mountain OK. Thing is, alpine turns on tele gear are weird - the free heel plus the setting of the bindings comparatively far back mean you'll feel like you're sitting back way too much (plus I imagine it looks ugly as sin!). Better to find out what that feels like on a blue run before you need to pick your way down a cruddy piste-of-doom in low visibility.

(4) I've always found that I sucked off-piste with alpine gear, however hard I tried. I would also avoid moguls if possible. For some reason, tele gear lets me make a good attempt at off-piste and moguls. My feeling is that the lower, stretched-out stance makes me more stable off-piste, and the ease of bending my knees makes moguls easier. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees, but that's what I reckon anyway.

Andrew.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah really thinking about getting some proper instruction, though as I have every other friday off, the plan was to head to the local hill on my todd and practice tele while the weekend could be back on alpine. At the moment my ribs are knackered from the fall and I'm hoping all is well for a long weekend this weekend.

I can turn right okay..its just the transition back up and then left thats an issue..maybe some gym work on the left leg aswell..

need to buy some new leshes aswell.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
papasmurf, wot ap96 says. It is really important to do some leg specific exercises like walking along and dropping into a close tele stance and building up to 100 plus reps. That alone will improve your skiing exponentially. Fatigue in the early learning stages is the killer of technique and the friend of bad habits. I have also been working on getting as good as I can in Alpine skills on tele.... you never know when you will need to revert to a safe technique when you run out of tele skill or energy. . . BUT . . .

Just wait till you get your first tele carving turns . . . held on your toes and whispering past the gawkers . . . sex on sticks and no tissues needed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

keep it up, only boarding gives you a bigger buzz Toofy Grin
latest report
I think everyone goes through the same thing when learning to tele- can turn ok in 1 direction but not the other. It'll come. And eventually good technique will come. The nice thing about getting some instruction was it speeds the process up. Once I switched to tele I never went back to alpine. Can't even put the boots on anymore, they're too uncomfortable! And I used to love my alpine boots!
ski holidays
Quote:

I think everyone goes through the same thing when learning to tele- can turn ok in 1 direction but not the other. It'll come.

I'm still waiting for my left-turn to come Happy

I'm in the classic category of people whose natural tendency is to put too little weight on the trailing ski. I've more or less cured it turning right, but turning left on a choppy piste shows up how weak my left leg is.

That's the best thing I got from my single two-hour lesson: a clear practical demonstration of this difference: the instructor asked me to monomark both ways, and the way with my left leg trailing sucked way more.

Still, however much I suck, farlep99 got it right: I've not gone back to alpine since either, and a large part of that is sheer comfort: not just the boots themselves but the ability to move and stretch my muscles (especially my quads) while waiting in the lift queue, not to mention the ability to effortlessly kick-and-glide across flat sections between lifts...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy