Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Craziest Resort Restaurant?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to nominate La Pause in secteur Peclet, Val Thorens

Tuesday night we wanted a 'typically french' restaurant for an evening meal on the last night of our trip to VT. Being in secteur peclet and it chucking it down with snow we wandered along to 'la pause' which seemed (according to the menu) to meet the bill. My niece (somewhat fussy eater) was just after a pizza, and the BiL and myself wanted tartiflette / steak or similar. The place was pretty much deserted with about 3 tables in use.

"Do you want pizza or to eat in the restaurant the waitress said?"
"We'd like to eat in the restaurant please"

OK please take a seat but we cannot serve pizza there
But my niece wants pizza and we'd like tartiflette

She will have to sit at a different table to you
It can't be that hard - just serve us the tartiflette and her the pizza and we will eat together

I'm sorry that's not possilble

Despite my best french I couldn't convince them that we should be allowed to eat together, at which point we voted with our feet and left.

We ended up going instead to "Les Saints Pere's" in the gallerie du Peclet, which was nice enough to allow us to eat different things at the same table, and indeed served terrific food in a nice ambience. We spent around 25 euros a head what with drinks and puddings and had a very nice meal. I'd definitely recommend Les Saints Pieres again - La Pause need their customer service policies re-examined.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a Tartiflette pizza once, it was rather good......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizwald wrote:

But did you eat it at 1 table or 2? Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shakeywith wrote:
Grizwald wrote:

But did you eat it at 1 table or 2? Laughing

Take away find it avoids all crazy French eating etiquette Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we ordered a pizza up les houches in the summer, after an hour waiting we asked were it was and was told that they wouldnt start cooking it until we sat at the opposite side of the table.... We moved and 10 minutes later it came out.

very bizzarre Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, Was the owner of La Pause called Monsieur Fautif? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You don't get these problems in A U S T R I A
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, no, but then if you don't want sausage or goulash your pretty much screwed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ever get the feeling that there's a p*ss-taking conspiracy out there against you lot?? Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, Correct but you have to deal with resteraunts with live animals in them very strange
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, There is also Tyroler Groestl.

I made the mistake of trying to eat at a restaurant in Les Arcs 2000 that would only serve food to particular tables.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
France in unnecessary Kafkaesque bureaucracy shocker.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I presume that pizza counts as a 'snack' and tartiflette is a meal (or something). We had a similar(ish) experience at Parc Asterix - come lunchtime, my wife wanted a hot dog, so we went to one of the kiosks which we had seen selling them to be told they are not 'lunch'; apparently they are OK at 5 to 12 but not at 5 past 12. We got some 'proper' lunch (sandwiches and beer) and my wife left the park and sulked in our motorhome. The boy and I enjoyed our afternoon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been turned away from a literally *empty* cafe on the basis that we weren't allowed to only have a round of drinks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I shall not name the mountain restaurant in my resort.

Walk in to empty restaurant,

"We'd like to eat please."

"Have you booked?"

"No"

"Sorry, you can't eat here then."

"But there's no-one here?"

"Yes, but we only serve pre-booked parties." rolling eyes
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
Bode Swiller, no, but then if you don't want sausage or goulash your pretty much screwed

Not sure which Austria you've been to. And, you mean Goulash, that dish from a different country entirely.
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:
Bode Swiller, Correct but you have to deal with resteraunts with live animals in them very strange

The customers?
snow conditions
Correct me if I'm wrong but is Goullash Hungarian I was once told it roughly translates as 'left overs' ??? But I think it's something do do with beef?
snow report
Goulash is fricking awesome. It is traditionally Hungarian but you can get it everywhere round there (Slovakia etc.). I reckon it would be great skiing food too...

A lot of traditional dishes come from peasant food so it may well translate as left overs.
ski holidays
Quote:

The customers?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Na there is a place in Saalbach that has a stable with horses and goats in it
latest report
Grizwald, yes it is Hungarian but he's probably thinking of Gulaschsuppe which isn't quite the same thing eh?
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:
Quote:

The customers?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

So, you find ONE restaurant with some farmyard animals in it (presumably not wandering free around the tables) and you characterise the entire Austrian culinary experience as being the same. Laughing
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Grizwald, yes it is Hungarian but he's probably thinking of Gulaschsuppe which isn't quite the same thing eh?

That's just a German way of saying goulash soup...
snow report
bobmcstuff, yeah but traditional Hungarian Goulash isn't a soup.
latest report
My hubby loves Goulash and Gulaschsuppe. In fact he loves all german and austrian dishes. Very Happy

Moonshine Very Happy
latest report
Goulash can be a soup or stew. Both traditional Hungarian (somewhat obviously?). I lived on goulash soup while I was travelling in Hungary and Slovakia cos it was cheap and delicious.

Can't believe I'm arguing about soup on the internet... Still, beats work eh.
snow report
yep France can be strange, we have found in the summer months that in some parts of France Restaurants actually shut for Lunch Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
bobmcstuff wrote:
Can't believe I'm arguing about soup on the internet... Still, beats work eh.
But this IS vitally important. Dr John slagged off an entire nation's cuisine on the basis he thinks an entirely different country's national dish is one of only two things you get offered in an Austrian restaurant. Now, you appear to be deliberatley heading down the old "when is a soup not a soup" routine just to wind eveyone up. Mods...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just roll with it.
snow report
paulio, That's the EU for you. This argument started in a French restaurant and has got as far as Austria & Hungary.
snow conditions
Funny, history suggests things usually start the other way round - generally, in a vague sort of geographic sense.... Laughing
snow report
Never Hungary after an Austrian restaurant
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, not that old argument... Worse than the helmets and snow tyres ones combined! wink
ski holidays
We were in La Baule in the summer wanted a drink on one of the beach restaurants, 'bout 3pm and was told we couldn't sit there becuase they only served food at those tables ..... no one there at all. Many similar experiences that can be recounted Very Happy

Love France but the French can be so up there own a**e* at times
snow report
It's part of French nature to be @rseholes. Probably cos they lost so many wars. Chip on the shoulder and all that.
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
We were in La Baule in the summer wanted a drink on one of the beach restaurants, 'bout 3pm and was told we couldn't sit there becuase they only served food at those tables ..... no one there at all. Many similar experiences that can be recounted Very Happy

Love France but the French can be so up there own a**e* at times

so were we, we go there frequently and that is a common response on that stretch of beach at that time, however the ipanema is not bad for dinner.
snow conditions
Are we going to get Bratwurst, Kartoffelsalat, Sauerkraut and Frankfurters in Austria? (Hope so.)
latest report
bobmcstuff, Very Happy
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
paulio, That's the EU for you. This argument started in a French restaurant and has got as far as Austria & Hungary.

No. Was answer to question. Gulaschsuppe have just roll with it. Goulash have also potato.
snow report
Quote:

attes13 wrote:
Quote:

The customers?

So, you find ONE restaurant with some farmyard animals in it (presumably not wandering free around the tables) and you characterise the entire Austrian culinary experience as being the same.

There is actually 2 like this in Sallbach and on in Saas Fee but was not intending to say they where all like that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy