Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level?

Poster: A snowHead
Touchguru, well, I learnt today that my feet aren't as fast as GW's when I'm trying to follow his line in the bumps. Other than that it was a good day!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Touchguru wrote:
fatbob wrote:
If you're a non seasonaire than 10 is the realistic peak of your ambition

Really??!!! Smile

Maybe I've read it wrong but you seem to have clocked seasonaire type days and certainly more focused training to get where you are.

Or are you saying that 11 across the board is achievable without significant commitment? ( obviously those born into it or who are transferable athletes have a much better shot, I'd bet on Datsyuk or Crosby or speed skaters getting there faster of course.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Touchguru wrote:
fatbob wrote:
If you're a non seasonaire than 10 is the realistic peak of your ambition

Really??!!! Smile

Maybe I've read it wrong but you seem to have clocked seasonaire type days and certainly more focused training to get where you are.

Or are you saying that 11 across the board is achievable without significant commitment? ( obviously those born into it or who are transferable athletes have a much better shot, I'd bet on Datsyuk or Crosby or speed skaters getting there faster of course.)

I think it is certainly achievable with application and focused training.

I have done a lot of training throughout the last few years (2012/2013 being an exception where I did almost no training) but never 100 days of skiing over a season, from my count at least!

I am saying that you don't necessarily need to be on seasonaire type 100+ seasons to get to an 11 if you are focused and committed with the time you do have. (naturally it would make it easier if you did though)

I do agree with you though, that having transferable athletic ability from another sport does appear to make things easier than for someone coming in cold.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's when I ski with instructors and racers that I realise just how much I have to learn lol. And I'm doing bloody seasons now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Touchguru, well, I learnt today that my feet aren't as fast as GW's when I'm trying to follow his line in the bumps. Other than that it was a good day!

You are not the only one!!! I learnt that whilst getting high sided under a Morzine chair in 2012, much to the amusement of the seated masses!! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AsterixTG wrote:
NE1, so, let's get that left elbow up to 11! Very Happy

Ok, sounds good to me.

Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon wrote:
Based on that I'm definitely not at Level 11. I may come somewhat close on my absolute best days. But not there - don't have the same technique even when I can handle tricky terrain at speed. Good vid, thanks.

I think you do yourself a disservice there; you're offpiste skills are definitely at that level.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
horizon wrote:
Based on that I'm definitely not at Level 11. I may come somewhat close on my absolute best days. But not there - don't have the same technique even when I can handle tricky terrain at speed. Good vid, thanks.

I think you do yourself a disservice there; you're offpiste skills are definitely at that level.

horizon is a 14 at photoslutting Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
horizon wrote:

horizon is a 14 at photoslutting Wink

Haha, true:

"Don't worry if your legs look a bit weird there, we'll just photoshop a cloud of snow around them"

Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Touchguru wrote:
I am saying that you don't necessarily need to be on seasonaire type 100+ seasons to get to an 11 if you are focused and committed with the time you do have. (naturally it would make it easier if you did though)

I may be reading you wrong, but "focused and committed with the time you do have" also implies to me "…and have the money to spend on regular and frequent instruction/coaching". Being time-rich doesn't mean you'll get technically good if you just keep practising your faults, although you will inevitably improve if only in the head game. Also, as an aside, it's noticeable that mountain guides, pisteurs etc. are superb skiers but they don't ski like (BASI) instructors….

As for me, I could really do with just more snow time, but I fear my season's done as I've run out of money even for lift passes Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So all my crashing into rocks, streams, ditches, holes and crevasses will not improve my ability? Damn, I've been practicing hard too wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch wrote:
As for me, I could really do with just more snow time, but I fear my season's done as I've run out of money even for lift passes Sad

thatswhatskinsareforpussy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, if you're time-rich and remotely interested in skiing a lot you'll meet people to ski with who are a lot better. Most of my skiing improvement of the last decade has been outside of professional instruction from skiing with people much better than me. Peer coaching and having friends to push you is a really good way to learn, particularly for things that aren't really taught by many professional instructors. Similarly in climbing I learnt everything from a friend who has been climbing his whole life and have never taken any professional instruction. Lots of peer coaching though.

Obviously if your goal is accreditation with a professional body it pays to train to their standards which is where things can get pretty expensive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle wrote:
So all my crashing into rocks, streams, ditches, holes and crevasses will not improve my ability? Damn, I've been practicing hard too wink

these are all skills which are neglected by the BASI coaching system
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:

Bit of a betrayal of their Scottish roots really. No we're getting to the real heart of the British instructor condundrum - too much fancy danning on indoor slopes and pristine alpine meadows, not enough heather hopping and burn rescue techniques.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Arno wrote:

Bit of a betrayal of their Scottish roots really. No we're getting to the real heart of the British instructor condundrum - too much fancy danning on indoor slopes and pristine alpine meadows, not enough heather hopping and burn rescue techniques.

someone needs to arrest a French instructor operating in Scotland (hmmm...) who is underskilled in those areas - that'll learn em
ski holidays
meh wrote:
eng_ch, if you're time-rich and remotely interested in skiing a lot you'll meet people to ski with who are a lot better. Most of my skiing improvement of the last decade has been outside of professional instruction from skiing with people much better than me. Peer coaching and having friends to push you is a really good way to learn, particularly for things that aren't really taught by many professional instructors.

Obviously if your goal is accreditation with a professional body it pays to train to their standards which is where things can get pretty expensive.

eng_ch, this!

Couldn't have said it any better, meh Smile
ski holidays
Level 11 tweaked a bit and some fun outtakes...

https://vimeo.com/88280166

https://vimeo.com/88334672
latest report
Cool - I think they look good.
snow conditions
[wistful expression]Oh........If only it were possible to just 'copy' what you 'see' someone else doing..........................................[/wistful expression]
snow conditions
skimottaret, Excellent videos.
snow report
7 girls and 5 blokes featured, can anyone work out which is which wink
snow conditions
skimottaret, that's a girl 53 secs in skiing the powder Wink
latest report
kitenski wrote:
skimottaret, that's a girl 53 secs in skiing the powder Wink
A girl skiing, or skiing like a girl? wink
latest report
The bit in that video that I think is the demonstration of greatest skill are the lines taken through the stubbies on the indoor slope. So much for all those that think you can't learn anything inside, I think there is lot of skill being shown there and I am damn certain that I could practise for months inside and would still wipe the lot out LOL Laughing
snow report
Megamum, pretty good for a wee girly eh ?
ski holidays
I think it's VERY clever skiing, and that there is a huge amount of skill being demonstrated in such a confined exercise. It's neat tidy, def. a girl, and I'm very impressed - I'd love that level of skill.

I would also say that the clip before it is also a lady and I think it is also a lady dressed all in blue skiing a groomed run a couple clips further on. The very first skier down the mountain in the first clip in the bright helmet might also be a girl, The girls are attacking the mountain with more precision and finesse than the approach taken by the men IMO. BWTHDIK
ski holidays
girls: pink helmet, powder, pink jacket, indoor swish, aqua suit before gates, gates?

guys: second skier in first clip?, yellow jacket, powder pair?, bobble hat, carving, second syncronised pair

Maybe? i'm surer on the girls than the guys - except the gates..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
not quite... They don't ski like "girls" do they Smile
ski holidays
Oops, oh well sorry if any of you are on here NehNeh I still think all my girls are girls - the only guys I'm sure of are bobble hat and carving.

Second skier in first clip the outakes reveal as a lady so scratch my original answer. The rest who knows!
ski holidays
a.j. wrote:
Oops, oh well sorry if any of you are on here
Pleased that you correctly identified me (unlike someone else NehNeh ), not that I think it matters as I don't see a gender difference in good skiing. I think both sexes can ski with finesse and attack as required, and it's nice to see a video which shows that.
ski holidays
have a close look at the yellow jacket... Wink
snow report
Dammit I did look several times, something in the posture decided me on guy in the end. I agree it doesn't matter or I wouldn't risk guessing Smile
snow conditions
a.j.,She charges our little Amy in the yellow jacket Toofy Grin .... how about the racer ?
latest report
If the racer is a guy then he has very shapely legs and a waist - I think its a lady racer. I think the ladies seem somewhat lighter on their feet despite then still charging the mountain - it's almost a 'build' difference.
snow conditions
I could sit and watch that video all night. I like what the skier in the blue suit is doing and also the two at the end.
ski holidays
skimottaret

Look forward to you posting 12 ( think we can all see 13 often enough on TV wink )

Enjoyed watching the Videos and agree with you rob@rar gals can rock just as well as the guys.
ski holidays
Looks good to me; I can clearly see myself as a level 8 whereas I'd always struggled to classify myself before now, but the comments about things going to pot a bit in bad conditions, picking down moguls 5-6 turns at a time etc, are spot on.
latest report
Quote:

The bit in that video that I think is the demonstration of greatest skill are the lines taken through the stubbies on the indoor slope.

Certainly tidy skiing but I disagree with that. I'm confident I could ski like that, certainly on slalom skis. I think the bumps and gates sections require more skill but everyone has their strengths and weaknesses so reasonable people can disagree!
snow report
women - first two, first powder, indoor, blue jacket/green pants, racer in white and one other ????
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy