Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Setup - advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, I'm a noob on here so be gentle with me but I'm after advice for a new touring setup.
I've currently got a (mid)fat powder ski with Marker Duke's which is fantastic for downhill-orientated stuff but weighs in the region of 8-8.5kg for the pair. I'm after a lighter touring setup, but one that still favours downhill ability over weightsaving.

As far as skis are concerned, they need to be:
i) Fat enough for me to enjoy skiing steeps in powder, I don't think I'd want to go any thinner than 90 at the waist, and ~125/130 at the tip
ii) Light enough to climb easy alpine routes with (big faces up to about TD on ice) - 4.5kg for skis and bindings is ideal, but sub 5-kilo would be acceptable
iii) Capable enough for skiing technical descents on harder snow (things like Mallory on the N Face of the Aiguille du Midi etc.) if necessary
iv) As stiff as possible, my current skis are very stiff and I love them. I don't get on so well with bendy planks.

I'm thinking something like K2 Hardsides or Waybacks or Coombacks, or maybe Black Crows Orb (I've got the Navis as my current ski and I love it) or some of the Black Diamond offerings but I'm not sure how stiff they are. Volkl Mantra or Nanuks perhaps (can't find a weight for them)?? Any suggestions? Twin tip would be preferable but not essential.

As for bindings it has to be Dynafit really, but having no experience with these bindings I'm not sure which ones would be suitable for such a ski. Would something like the TLT speed be able to handle those skis or are the Vertical bindings stiffer/more robust. I'm assuming you can take the brakes off the bindings to drop the weight as I'm happy with leashes (does anyone know how much weight this would save off the Vertical TLTs?). Are the millimeter sizings on the bindings (92mm, 110mm etc.) just the width of the brakes?

I'll probably have to get a new pair of dynafit compatible boots but will have a look at boots nearer the time. I have a pair of Garmont's already which I'm pretty happy with so maybe the Radiums, or a pair of the Dynafit boots.

Any suggestions for skis would be great, as would comments on which dynafit binding would be the one to go for.
Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aly, I ski Navis and I too love them . . . not exactly a stiff ski though . . . If you like the Navis, I can recommend the K2 Coomback with Dynafit Radical bindings (as this is what I have) It skis very similarly to the Navis and the bindings won't let you down (I have Barons on my Navis). I very nearly bought Orbs, so if you prefer them, no probs, but the Coomback is more similar to the Navis, either way you lose the twin tip. The Orb definitely scores on the climb, 90mm underfoot is kinder on the traverse and they are just a smidge lighter than the Coomback. Dynafit sizes are the width of the brakes. FWIW my boots are BD Factors - if you want sound boot advice, go see Smallzookeeper in Cham to find out what suits your foot, rather than have a fixed idea of what you want.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a look at DPS and PM Gear.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dynafit Bindings and you are sorted.You will end up Dynafit in the end everyone does.

Reagards Mark
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aly wrote:
I'm thinking something like K2 Hardsides or Waybacks or Coombacks, or maybe Black Crows Orb

There are still a few places shifting last year's discontinued K2 Backlashes quite cheaply, if you can find your size.

aly wrote:
Would something like the TLT speed be able to handle those skis or are the Vertical bindings stiffer/more robust. I'm assuming you can take the brakes off the bindings to drop the weight as I'm happy with leashes (does anyone know how much weight this would save off the Vertical TLTs?). Are the millimeter sizings on the bindings (92mm, 110mm etc.) just the width of the brakes?

I think the brakes weight about 150g each? The Speed probably saves a few more grammes over the Vertical on top of that. The mm sizing is the brake width, yes. I believe that all of the non-Radical dynafits have an all but identical heel unit (bar a slightly higher release value range on the FT), and the toe unit has been more or less the same forever. If the Vertical can do it, the Speed should be fine. Dynafit sell brakes up to 130mm in width and crampons up to 110mm, so your shortlist probably doesn't contain anything that is 'too much ski'. If you're happy without brakes, also consider the Plum Guide, which is very shiny.

clarky999 wrote:
Take a look at DPS and PM Gear.

...and weep at the prices. Seriously, after tax and shipping they're terrifying. But following the theme, there's also Praxis. Their Backcountry model seems nice.

For ever so slightly more down to earth prices (though still much more than last year's K2s), Movement have some reasonable looking offerings and there's at least one reseller on here who'll say nice things about them.

edit for the usual moment/movement ski confusion

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 22-12-11 11:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd have a look the BD Drift as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
not sure K2 is for you if you like stiff skis
my setup is:
DPS Wailer 105
Dynafit TLT Speed
Garmont Shogun
Pretty ideal for that sort of thing. If I was buying now, I might look at Plum Guides in place of the TLTs, but I haven't had any problems with the TLTs. There are Europe-based retailers of DPS now so altough they aren't cheap, you don't get dinged with high shipping and tax charges
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies all. I'll keep an eye on for some of last years K2 skis to see if a good deal comes up, but the DPS skis look really nice! As do the Plum Guide bindings, I'm assuming they just fit standard dynafit boots?

Arno, you do you have the carbon or the hybrid Wailers? I don't suppose you know how much your setup weighs by any chance do you? DPS seem to have a dealer in Cham, and I'll be out there in feb so might try and ski a pair.

I hadn't thought about Movement so cheers for that suggestion. Anybody got any opinions on Volkl skis? I've never skied them but had a friend who swore by their Katanas but I can't find any weights out there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aly, there's a new DPS Wailer 99 which might be ideal (but still eye-wateringly expensive).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
aly, I have the carbon ones. not sure of exact weights but the whole setup will be less than 4.5kg for skis + bindings (maybe even less than 4kg). i am a confirmed DPS fanboi so I also have their 112s. I think I prefer the 105s for steep skiing. The sidecut is a bit straighter and you have more effective edge. That is what is keeping me from selling them and jumping on some of the 99s

plum guides will fit dynafit compatible boots
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aly, if it's not a wind-up, why would you want to compromise with twin tips for the Mallory Puzzled

Other than that, Scott Cruairs answer all your criteria. And they're perfect with Dynafits too as they don't bend too easy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scott Powd'airs sound like they'd fit the bill too: 100mm underfoot, not too much camber, a (bit of) early rise in the tip, stiff but springy and surprisingly powerful.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Anybody got any opinions on Volkl skis? I've never skied them but had a friend who swore by their Katanas but I can't find any weights out there.

Generally quite heavy - especially the Katanas! Lot of metal...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^ I might be able to put you in touch with someone who has a spare pair of powd'airs lying around
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now that's something I'd not though of and could work well. If someone is selling a second hand pair I'd definitely be interested in finding out a bit more, I think they'd have to be the 183's though.
I suspected the Volkls might be heavy, I guess the Mantra's and Nanuk's are probably on the lardy side as well Smile

Moffatross - no, not a wind up. I wouldn't bother using this set up in the park but I've gotten used to having twin tips as I find they can be convenient for slipping backwards in narrow spaces without digging your tails into whatever cruddy snow happens to be behind you (usually when I'm too scared to put in a turn/kickturn!). Certainly not essential to have, nor a deal-breaker, just a nice to have.
snow conditions
aly, the Powd'airs at least have a small but noticeable rise at the tail (more so than a piste ski) to hold the skins and also help to slide back without digging in.
snow conditions
aly wrote:

iii) Capable enough for skiing technical descents on harder snow (things like Mallory on the N Face of the Aiguille du Midi etc.) if necessary
iv) As stiff as possible, my current skis are very stiff and I love them. I don't get on so well with bendy planks.

(I've got the Navis as my current ski and I love it)

You clearly have no idea what stiff skis are and you're talking about skiing the Mallory Shocked

In the nicest possible way, are you sure you're for real???

And while we're at it, I wouldn't dream of skiing the Mallory but if I had to I certainly wouldn't do it on Dynafits.
ski holidays
Quote:
.... I certainly wouldn't do it on Dynafits.

^ The real irony is that most of the Cham extremos skiing stuff like the Mallory do it with dynafits wink
Or maybe Plums...
If you lock the toe out on a dynafit its equivalent to din 25+.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:
.... I certainly wouldn't do it on Dynafits.

^ The real irony is that most of the Cham extremos skiing stuff like the Mallory do it with dynafits wink
Or maybe Plums...
If you lock the toe out on a dynafit its equivalent to din 25+.

My FT12's are set on 10 and one popped out the other day when side slipping between some rocks and lightly bending the ski (on Crusairs). Locking the toe is obviously an option but when someone comes on asking about a touring setup and talking about skiing the Mallory I'm not sure "get some Dynafits and you'll be fine" is the right answer!

If Remy Lecluse was asking the question I would agree with you....
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

Anybody got any opinions on Volkl skis? I've never skied them but had a friend who swore by their Katanas but I can't find any weights out there.

Generally quite heavy - especially the Katanas! Lot of metal...

I thought they took the metal out of their touring skis e.g.

Amaruq
http://www.voelkl.com/en/skis/touring/tour-universal/amaruq.html

Nanuq
http://www.voelkl.com/en/skis/touring/tour-freeride/nanuq.html
1650g per ski @ 177 by the way

The Amaruq comes out well in the german tests (many different sources) often beating many of the skis mentioned by other people in this thread (Scott, K2, etc).
http://www.testberichte.de/p/voelkl-tests/amaruq-10-11-testbericht.html
ski holidays
I've got the Nanuq's and they ski really well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy