Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland Snow Conditions

Poster: A snowHead
NB. There are dedicated threads for the Swiss resorts of:
Zermatt
and
Verbier

Thought I would start this up. I'll add whatever I can. Hopefully some other folk can join in.

Lenk in the Berner Oberland had approximately 1m fresh last week. Sunday it was knee deep on the piste, by Monday they had pisted it but there was still plenty of powder to be found. The snow down to resort was good and I never managed to hit any rocks under the snow showing that there is a reasonably compacted base. Lots of wind drift and avi risk was high with plenty of crown walls to be seen on the surrounding mountains. Much of the area was due to open today so there will be some epic skiing to be had over the next couple of days.

Engelberg also had great conditions, waiting to see how other places are shaping up but all the reports I am getting are good, especially in the N and W regions and Wallis (Vallais)

Here's the avi report and short term forecast http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/nationale_lawinenbulletins/index_EN
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any Idea on how it is in Zermatt?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know Saas Fee is in good condition, lots of snow down to the resort. Zermat is in the next valley so should be similar.
Today it was raining up to 1500m.

Avi and short term forecast
http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/nationale_lawinenbulletins/index_EN
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow conditions still fantatic above 2000m. Had over 1m of snow in Les Masses at 1500m. However rained this afternoon below about 1700m...... so conditions below that very heavy... freeze will make conditions interesting.... On the other hand freeze followed by fresh snow... will be fantastic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had 1.5m of fresh in Hasliberg last weekend - the upper lifts didn't even open. Up to our chests in the trees lower down. Gstaad and Les Diablerets were getting pummelled on Monday too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It was very warm this weekend, lots of fresh had fallen over the last week but by Sunday the freezing level was up over 2000m making it pretty heavy going. Loads of natural avalanches around, many going straight to the ground. We were in the Berner oberland but I have heard from other folk that it was warm all over the Swiss alps. Still a friend in E.Switzerland said they had 50-70cm of snow. In fact many resorts including Andermatt and Loschental did not open due to the danger of avalanches on the roads to resort. If you can get high and find low angle terrain, you'll be dancin'
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spent the last 2 days in Klosters. About a meter of snow at Kublis (980m). Lots of untracked deep snow even after several sunny days. Some exposed slopes are windswept. South facing slopes were becoming spring snow and there were alot of full depth slides. North facing slopes were fantastic especially when they openen the Weissfluhgipfel. Light snow yesterday and windy on top.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some nice conditions in both Saas Fee and Zinal this week.

Short clip from yesterday:
Zinal - 13.01.2012 from Ross Fraser
http://vimeo.com/35051237
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sparkzter, Nozawaosen, in weather outlook thread has reported that Zematt has broke all previous snowfall records for the period Mid Dec to Mid Jan. Pistes should be ok even with no more snow untill my trip at the beginning of February. It would be good to get a bit of fresh stuff at the end of Jan, but a piste holiday is secure!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Murren on Saturday trying to avoid all the crowds over in Wengen for the Lauberhorn downhill races

The Swiss airforce were entertaining the crowds with some pretty impressive flying; here they are flying down the north face of the Eiger

I met up with a friend who normally teaches over in Avoriaz http://www.freedom2ski.com/ (blatant plug inserted as promised!) who had a free day in the middle of running a course in Murren. Avalanche risk was 2, but there was evidence of a lot of avalanche activity especially on grassy sunny slopes where there had been some big full depth slides. A day to be careful; we backed out of a climb along an arete later in the day where a full depth slide had just taken out the boot track. We did a couple of descents to the left and right of the Schilthorn east face shown here (above).

Conditions were cold (-5C) and at altitude there was still plenty of powder snow to be had even in the sun.

Lower down things were a little more mixed, and definitely some areas were you wouldnt want to hang around too long although things were generally well frozen-up. Snow had a 1-2cm egg-shell crust on top of the powder. Mind the gap!

Sunny slopes very dodgy! (left) but still good in the shade lower down (right)

Some steeper lines

Getting tracked in some places lower down

Overall though for what most people would consider a small area, Murren has a lot to offer. A great day in great company.. cheers Pete!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing in Davos right now. Just seen in the background of a live ITV news report. Light but steady. Oh how I love snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowing down here on Lake Zurich so I imagine it's snowing in all the resorts too
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got down to Laax this evening and I've never seen so much snow at village level. I'll report on sliding conditions when I've had a chance to head up the mountain
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just been out for a couple of hours. Conditions under foot are beautiful and velvety, absolutely glorious. Sadly conditions in front of the goggles are sh!te - as in can't see the chair in front of you sh!te.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FreeBeer wrote:

Love this pic! Not skied the area but looks great
ski holidays
that snow looks like the skin on a washerwoman's belly.
snow conditions
Visibility is much better in Laax today, apart from a band of almost impenetrable cloud between about 1650m and 1400m. Snow conditions excellent. Being Sunday it's busier than any other day of the week with a lot of weekenders and race clubs about but no queues to speak of. The new Alp Dado chair is fab, with heated seats and the bar opens automatically at the top which is a bit spooky. Bit dicey as well today with the toddler slaloms everywhere and quite a lot of boarders straightlining at mach 3 without considering that skiers below them might want/need to turn occasionally.
latest report
Thanks to work I didn't get out yesterday but I've been out this morning briefly. Pistes are in great nick, side-of-pistes are a bit crusty in places, red 64 down to Laax is its usual mix of piles of powder and icy patches but still rather nice. It's snowing lightly and whilst visibility is not at all bad, the light is very very flat. Most noticeable is that the cold front that's been forecast is beginning to come in - consider a balaclava if you're over about 2000 m for the next week or so!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy