Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Hempstead Ski Centre unveils snowdome conversion plans

Poster: A snowHead
[This thread updated and re-titled, due to unveiling of plans on 7 September - scroll down for link]

Plans to transform Hemel Hempstead plastic ski slope into a snowdome will be revealed to the public on 13 September.

Architects' drawings and traffic plans will feature in an exhibition for local residents' feedback, before a planning application is made.

This report from Hemel Today.

Do you ski Hemel? Would you ski a snowdome at that location?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-09-05 13:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't that a bit close to Milton Keynes? I wouldn't have thought it would have been economically viable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would imagine that being so close it will impact on the running of Xscape at MK. As it will be closer to London and the south it will probably draw that contingent.

It would be nice to have something south of the river Thames - why do all of the snowdomes have to be so far up north?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, They are all down south for me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, I don't ski there, but I work a few minutes from the slope...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Work! Times must be hard wink

A little IT humour,
Q why don't Analysts's look out of the window in the morning?

A 'cos theywouldnt have anything to do in the Afternoon Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Work! Times must be hard wink

A little IT humour,
Q why don't Analysts's look out of the window in the morning?

A 'cos theywouldnt have anything to do in the Afternoon Very Happy

I used to be a consultant!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat,
If the cap fit's..........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd rather wear a helmet... Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had my first ever ski lessons on Hemel dry slope..... but once I'd experienced real snow I never went back. I would definitely use an indoor snow slope there, rather than drive up to MK. I suspect most skiers in N London would too - it would steal a v large proportion of MK's clientele. There is already a large S&R store there, so no doubt they are all in favour, as it would steal sales from EllisB at MK.

MK does have a large number of snowsports retail outlets in the same Xscape building, which the Hemel development may struggle to match, but for those simply wanting to ski/board its location is much better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plans for the Hemel snowdome were unveiled today. Here's an updated report from Hemel Today, unfortunately with very little additional detail and no architect's impression. Hopefully we can link to something shortly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I live very close to Hemel but would only use it if it cost less. The cost of an hours skiing at Milton Keynes is the major barrier to me, not the distance to drive.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't get your hopes up nightshift:- as the new slope will be closer to the main source of revenue (i.e. Greater London) I can't see that they will need to undercut MK to make a success of it. The competition could drive prices down at MK tho, which is no bad thing.

This all assumes they will do the job properly and produce something as good as (if not better than) what Xscape has to offer!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great news for me, unless the Hemel Chav Scum take a liking to skiing - do Burberry do salopettes?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Picked up a copy of The Hemel Hempstead Gazette this evening. Undoubtedly the first and last time I'll ever buy the paper (!) but the front page is a big splash, headlined:
"Snow place like £8m ski dome"
The main slope is planned to be 150m x 32m
Nursery slope: 70m x 32m
It could open between winter 2007 and summer 2008, with the planning application to be lodged by the end of this year.

The existing plastic slope at Hemel was opened in 1978, and this would be the first major redevelopment since then. The existing building would be replaced with a three-storey clubhouse featuring cafe/bar, conference facilities, viewing balcony, changing rooms, ski hire and a new Snow+Rock shop.
latest report
If it does get built I hope that a bit of competition with Xscape drives down prices. The only thing from stopping me use an indoor slope on a regular basis throughout the year is the absurd cost of skiing at them.
ski holidays
Quote:

The only thing from stopping me use an indoor slope on a regular basis throughout the year is the absurd cost of skiing at them.

How much do you think it costs to build and run one of those places Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

(I don't actually know..... but I bet it is a lot! Very Happy )
snow report
Will see if I can get the MD of Hemel Ski Centre, David Surrey, to register as a snowHead. Then he might like to tell us more about his plans.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, you could join the ski club at the slope. That leads to a much more reasonable price for usage.

For example the Lions club at Leeds/Castleford get charged £7.50 per member per hour. They put an admin fee on top and charge members £16 for their two hour sessions. Any tuition on top is free of charge.
ski holidays
the ice perv wrote:
Quote:

The only thing from stopping me use an indoor slope on a regular basis throughout the year is the absurd cost of skiing at them.

How much do you think it costs to build and run one of those places Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

(I don't actually know..... but I bet it is a lot! Very Happy )

I'm sure it's a lot. But how much do you think a couple of hours per week at a snowdome costs when you're not actually doing the 'real thing'? Over the year that adds up to the cost of two or three trips to the Alps. While it would be nice to keep skiing on snow during the off season, I don't think that I would rate that more highly than skiing in a resort.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Plastic (snow), much cheaper!

How can anyone refer to somewhere north of London as being in the South East????? Confused
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, if you DID ski that much at an indoor slope it WOULD add up to the cost of a couple of trips to the alps.....
......but who would want to spend 2 hours EVERY week all summer doing that? No-one I know would want to hammer down the same slope over & over again every week. The vast majority of indoor snow users don't do anything like that amount - personally, I only go about 5 or 6 times a year, and wouldn't go any more often no matter how cheap it became (not that a drop in price wouldn't be welcome!).

In a perfect world we would all have a local indoor snozone which cost 10p/hour to use and had different terrain every time we went back, but that ain't the real world. In the real world people don't invest in building leisure facilities unless they have some prospect of getting their money back, and unf that means charging people lots of money to use them. Sad
snow conditions
the ice perv, sure, I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion the real value of a snowdome facility is using it weekly during the summer, so you can actually use it to train and improve rather than simply as a recreational facility. That's when it gets expensive.
ski holidays
the ice perv, but with the ski clubs operating at the snowdomes that's exactly what happens. The club at Castleford have two hour sessions on Sunday morning and Monday evening and more than one or two of them use both sessions.

However both sessions have gates up, and sometimes bumps. They run drills, general ski tuition and a bit of race training as well. It does make that same slope a little more interesting as you try to ski it on one ski, bent double, jump turn it, slow snowplough it, jump up and down as you run down it, 1000 steps it as well as getting to wack the poles. Well worth a try.
snow conditions
Okay, fair enough, there are some who want to use it more often. Personally, the better I get, the quicker I get bored there, but that is me.

But my point is that these places just wouldn't exist without being able to charge "expensive" or "absurd" rates becoz they would never be viable as a business proposition otherwise. Hopefully the new Hemel development will offer "season tickets" to those who have nothing better to do but ski all summer! Very Happy
snow report
the ice perv wrote:
But my point is that these places just wouldn't exist without being able to charge "expensive" or "absurd" rates becoz they would never be viable as a business proposition otherwise.

No doubt that they are expensive to build and run, but at the moment there is also no effective competition because of geography and the fact that there are only two companies currently operating snowdomes in the UK. Neither of these aspects is conducive to low prices Wink
ski holidays
the ice perv, Do something else when you're there then ! Anyone mention racing ? Laughing
latest report
Not yet rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hemel had an open day yesterday, an exhibition/public consultation showing the finalised plans bar minor changes to allow locals, councillors and other interested parties to talk to the Hemel guys, the architects, the snow engineers etc on an informal and friendly basis. David Surrey the boss is a very friendly, earnest, down-to-earth chap. My kids have had a series of private lessons at Hemel over a couple of seasons now and he has always been helpful and approachable. We’ve always liked Hemel because it is friendly and good for families.

The development is intended to attract more users to the slope, particularly in the summer months. About 15 years ago there was a peak of slope usage of 100000 a year. It’s now down to about 35000 and particularly with new snow slopes being planned round the country, something would need to be done if to safeguard a longer-term future for the ski centre. Many years ago now defunct Hillingdon was my regular slope and a very good slope it was too.

Apart from just being a business, the ski centre has lots of links with the community, schools, youth organisations, the disabled, various companies, as well as its racing links, employment opportunities etc. A very impressive list was presented in the various clear bound proposals and plans provided for the public to peruse.

Fears of locals in terms of traffic, noise, the building itself are also comprehensively and sensitively addressed. In terms of traffic, even in its heyday, the traffic was not much affected by the slope. Then, the winter half-year throughput was 85000 and now they are really only aiming for 95000, as there isn’t really an increase in the slope capacity of 160 users at a time. It’s the summer half-year peak of 15000 that they’re aiming to get up to about 55000. They provided a detailed study of the traffic that shows this but I’m not that sad. Noise, flood-lighting etc aren’t an issue and actually will be better as it’ll all be enclosed rather than hearing the drags clattering and people chattering. The building itself looks quite attractive and I can’t see any problem there either. Parking will go from 120 to 185 spaces.

Snow-making, the snow-man tells me, is not an issue, lots of ways all pretty effective. It’s snow-keeping that’s the problem. Hemel is planning to use the British company Acer Snowmec Ltd, which is the same company as Xscape uses and also the company who made the fist UK slope at Telford, which was effectively their test slope. Their method involves snow maintenance by both underbase and surface air methods so gives better quality snow than say Tamworth, which always seems to me to rapidly become a sloping ice-skating rink – when the concrete isn’t showing through. Oh, and he confirmed to me that it is just air and water – definitely no chemicals. Ideally the underfloor bit cools 4” and the surface bit cools 4”, so if the snow layer is a lot thicker (MK can get to 1metre in places), the middle layer can warm up…

The slope itself will unfortunately get a fair amount shorter. I think it has maybe 140m skiable at the moment and this will drop to about 120m skiable, from a total length of about 147m. Of course MK which claims 170m wall to wall I guess is probably no longer than 140m skiable. On the upside, the slope will be substantially wider. The main slope at the moment is about 16m wide and it’ll go to 32m with drags either side. The nursery slope will also gain in width, at 45mx32m skiable. The main target customer though is lessons, so the plan is reasonably priced private lessons from better instructors, as well as the usual group lessons. Recreational skiing probably won’t be much if any cheaper than MK.

The current timetable is to submit for planning over the next few weeks. If approval comes early in the new year, they could be building after summer ’06, which will take a year, aiming for an October ’07 opening. Can’t wait.

Plans, architect's drawings, artist's impressions.
latest report
slikedges, thanks for that! If it goes ahead, I might just inquire about an instructor job there - I could do 1/2 hour at lunch, and then straight after work!
latest report
slikedges, many thanks for all that interesting detail. I've emailed David Surrey and told him we're discussing his plans here.
latest report
David Goldsmith, yes, I did tell him I was going to post this.
latest report
BTW I should mention that the reason the snow slope will be shorter than the dry is that there is a big drain or some other kind of pipe running under the area between the current building and the current slope that they're not allowed to build on top of! They've therefore had to build the whole thing on the other side of the pipe to where the building is now, ie the slope side of the pipe, hence the remaining space for the actual slope being reduced.
snow conditions
slikedges, Thanks for posting the info, from the drawings/sketches it actually doesn't seem to stand out to much. Certainly better than Castleford
snow conditions
Here's a detailed report on Hemel's proposals, with architect's impressions and plans, from Snowboardclub.co.uk (SCUK)
snow report
David Goldsmith, the Acer Snowmec people were there at Hemel and talking as part of the project team so I guess it's all but accepted that they'll be the snow-men. Certainly submission to planning would require that already to be decided. I've got no complaints about their snow. Madrid Xanadu was fine though not steep enough for anything other than beginners really. Dubai, Manchester and Glasgow are all also going to be Acer Snowmec I think. I wish snowdomes/dry slopes would be explicit about the skiable lengths of their slopes. The wall-to-wall usually quoted can be very misleading.
ski holidays
BTW I've posted a "resort report" of the Bottrop Alpincenter in the Resorts forum with pics in the snowMedia Zone if anyone's interested.
ski holidays
Much too close to Milton Keynes, they will be draining customers from there rather than making new ones.
Why the Beckton indoor slope (east London) doesn't get someone interested in finishing it I can't think. The foundations were already in when the company went bust
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy