Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shoulder surgery.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi am currently waiting to see the consultant for a possible operation on shoulder, dont yet have a diagnosis so not quite sure exactly what I've done but triage physio said surgery is most likely option in my case. I have damaged some tendons and ligaments in my shoulder joint leaving it weaker than my right shoulder but also painful to do certain movements, which is good when I want to get out of cooking but not so good when I want to persuade the OH that I'd be fine to go skiing.

So question is how many of you have skiied with a virtually useless shoulder and would you? Have you had an operation on it and what was the recovery/rehab like and how long after surgery where you back to normal type activities? At the moment skiing, horse riding and going to the gym are out of the equation.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lucylockett, This is probably against all medical / sensible advice, however.......... 3 weeks to the day (and almost to the minute) I tore my right rotator cuff and some other ligaments in the shoulder whilst skiing (more accurately falling). I managed to ski a few more runs on the day and completed the remainder of the week on skis with few problems. I can't say that my pole plants were particularly confident but they were sufficient to enable me to make turns in the moguls and elsewhere. Apart from falling on it (shoulder) and doing more damage I'd say the key factor is whether you can make pole plants. Why not try making pole plants in your garden, if it hurts too much or you dont have the mobility in the shoulder to do them firmly enough then wait until your surgery / recovery until you go skiing. If you find you're ok making pole plants then go for it. Madeye-Smiley

On a more sensible note......... whilst I dont need surgery (just a bit of time and physio) I will be following my doctors advice and waiting until March for it and some other bits to properly recover. Sad Another point worth thinking about is your insurance, if you dont declare a pre-existing injury then it'll likely void your insurance or, at best it, won't cover you for further damage to your shoulder.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you had a scan on the shoulder to know what exactly you have done?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lucylockett, for shoulders an ultrasound scan is quick and accurate (unless you've damaged a deeper structure)- ask for one, there are excellent shoulder supports available, the rugga guys use them all the time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lucylockett, Take notice ofMillie10, then get opinion from Teaching Hospital guy/doll of what to do next. Marc Giradelli managed with dodgy shoulder and raced 3 weeks later, but a stitch in time saves possible disability later in life.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies so far am begining to feel slightly better about being able to ski, I'm hoping that when I go for my appointment at the end of jan the surgeon will do a scan so we know exactly what we're dealing with, at the moment though I dont think I could carry my skis or poleplant so whilst I'm trying to be exceptionally optimistic it's not looking very likely unless we have a long season Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lucylockett, your GP should have been able to organise an ultra-sound scan of your shoulder.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freddie Paellahead, Depends where the OP is. I don't think I have open access to shoulder US. But the 'triage physio' should have.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lucylockett, not sure if you are still looking for input....
I have skied for many years with damaged shoulder.
first damaged my left shoulder in a bad (non skiing) fall in 1999 - skied for about 6 weeks over 3 years before 2 operations finally fixed it - it transpired I'd shattered the joint so all the fragments had to be removed, tendons recovered, joint reshaped and collar bone excised.
then in Jan 2006 I tore my rotator cuff in right shoulder. Continued skiing through until July 2007 when I had surgery - probably about 2-3 weeks in total over this time.
I certainly couldn't lift my skis onto my shoulder (and still can't due to the surgery) but my OH does the honourable thing when any extended ski carrying is required.
My surgeons/physios were always aware I was still skiing and whilst I would rather have had fully functioning shoulders my issues were always primarily around any activity above shoulder height so I found skiing was OK.

if you do have surgery (I've had 2 on the left and one on the right) then the most important thing is to follow the rehab program religiously. I got a great result (for my age - am wrong side of 50) apparently and continue to ski around 30 days a year.

best of luck
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Carolh yes all input is gratefully received, so you telling me about your surgery is very helpful and encouraging. I am also the wrong side of 50 now, but intend skiing for years yet.

The only thing my GP arranged was an xray and told me it showed nothing so I needed further treatment. It was only when I made another appointment and said if there's nothing wrong why cant I lift my arm for brushing hair etc... at the time I was still riding my horse, it's now so bad I cant easily get her headcollar on so have had to stop riding her. I have been advised that should I ski on it my insurance will be invalid in the event of a claim because it was a pre existing condition. So am still thinking along the lines of no skiing this season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lucylockett, If you tell your insurer they may say it's ok and simply note the condition; your insurance would probably only be invalid if you don;t tell them
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lucylockett, how's it going?
I didn't say that my wife is back skiing after a succesful shoulder repair which was necessitated by two dislocations each caused by a fall skiing. She was nearly 50 when the repair was done and the surgeon required some persuading, but undoubtedly it was the right thing to do, as following a lot of work at rehab, I actually struggle to tell which one is the "bad" one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've dislocated my left shoulder 7 times, although never skiing - it's now so bad I can just pop it back in and carry on, with only around 48 hours of stiffness ans limited movement for 4-5 days to show for it. Obviously I'm aware that each dislocation is causing further damage and down the line i'll have to do something about it.

Have looked at surgery and both the physios I use (one my sister in law) have recommended against it as has a guy I played rugby with who has dislocated his shoulder over 30 times (including 9 post shoulder recontruction)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lucy,

I also have recurring problems with my right shoulder. I tore the cartilage holding the front of the shoulder in place from 12 o clock - 6 o clock and was able to pop it in and out with ease - of course with associated pain, I had an MRI (which it sounds like you need!) and they discovered that I needed surgery.

I had 'Arthroscopic stabilization along with removal of a bony bankhart lesion' in 2008. I skied in 2009, 10 and 11 without any problems at all, however the same problem has reared its head again due to a rugby injury again.

I am skiing on the 19th Feb with 16 other lads for my stag do, and am being opened up again for the same surgery on the 1st March! I was fine skiing with the injury last time and fully intend on going large this year - skiing makes life worth living!

I would definitely recommend rigidly following physio too. There are plenty of shoulder mobilization exercises that you can do to increase movement on the slopes.

As far as I'm aware, you will be classified as an outpatient for any surgery you have, which would not normally affect your travel policy as you will be a patient for less than 24 hours. Inpatient care needs to be mentioned on the other hand.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
N1VEN, thanks for that does give me some hope, I've actually seen the surgeon now and he was shocked by how little movement I have in my shoulder, they also did and ultra sound on it whilst I was there and you can see some tendon damage and a bony growth so am scheduled for surgery apparently should be done within the next month or two, but not holding out much hope for that. Surgery is Athroscopically done (hope that's the correct phrase) and will involve shaving off the bony growth and trying to repair the tendon damage.

Two weeks not driving and then he said I would need to slowly bring it back into work so probably no skiing this season - I only heard two weeks no driving and then back to normal, so as far as I'm thinking I might ski this season. However am massively unfit so now am trying to work out what I can do to get fitter in the hope of skiing this season? Most exercise has been ruled out as involves arm movement, but am going to start with walking and go from there. I did explain to him that I want to be able to ski and horse ride again and he didnt rule it out just didnt say how long before I can actually do them. Stupidly I also forgot to ask about post op physio, but am hoping I do get some.
snow report
lucylockett, sounds like you will be having shoulder decompression surgery.
Sorry, but I really don't think "Back to normal" in 2 weeks is very likely. The problem is that the tendon repair is not very strong initially (it does improve) and if you were to fall you could undo the repair - but ask the surgeon.
latest report
So so pleased I had the surgery on saturday, so am already on my way to recovery. No driving for two weeks, and no horse riding for 6 weeks, so suspect I wont be skiing this season, I am seeing a physio in two weeks so shall ask them for more reliable information as kept getting conflicting information. Apparently the internal bruising takes longest to heal, but the best news is the surgeon was convinced it will be a success. I did manage to watch most of the surgery on the monitor as had it done with a nerve block rather than a general. The tendon damage wasnt too bad and the shaved some bone off so all's looking good at the moment.

Ok the pain/soreness is not brilliant and am making what appears to be slow progress but am working my way through the exercises they've already given me. Thank you all so much for the answers they were all very encouraging. I see the surgeon in about 6 weeks so can also check progress then.
latest report
good luck lucylockett, let us know how you get on.
snow report
Great news that surgery went well lucylockett. All the best with the rehab, let us know how it goes so that future snowHead s with the same problem will get some idea of how it progresses.
ski holidays
lucylockett, Hi and good luck. I have had decompression and (quite significant) tendon repair on both shoulders. From experience, double the 6 weeks to 12. And I am surprised about only 2 weeks not driving - I would check that out as I was told 6 weeks due to insurance reasons. I had to wear a sling keeping my arm immobile for 6 weeks too. And do see a physiotherapist regularly! I visited mine once a week for the first month or so.

I was back at the gym after 2 weeks using a cross trainer (one handed) and the treadmill etc. After I was able to dump the sling I then used the cross trainer 'properly'. But it was at least 12 weeks before I was able to do anything that I would call normal.

So personally I would write off skiing this season, and look forward to it next instead. I am looking at buying some shoulder protection, preferably something made from Poron, as I fell a few times last week. I didn't damage either shoulder but I am aware due to the repairs they will not be as resilient as they used to be.

Don't try to rush the recovery - follow the guidance of a good physiotherapist and push the envelope as far as you can, but as they say you need to get things done in the right time and not the quick time... And then you will be A-OK for horse riding and the piste again before you know it!
ski holidays
t40ora, Thanks for this information (not quite what I wanted to hear but useful) I only had to wear a sling for 24 hours, I was told not to wear it again after that and within pain limits keep the movement in my arm as much as possible.

I have my first physio apt on monday so will hopefully gain more information from that, I have sadly written this season off now, hopefully not with the riding though - but that's going to take a little while anyway as the horse hasnt been ridden since Oct so will be brought gently back into work so will be easier for both of us.

As for the gym I haven't been yet but was going to ask the physio on monday when I can go and what I can reasonably do, my weight and general fitness needs rather a lot of work. I have been doing the shoulder exercises that the physio gave me after surgery and :fingers crossed: the movement in my shoulder is already better than it was pre surgery.

For anyone else facing this do take things slowly and do expect to have good/bad days, dont push your shoulder too hard as you will just undo any good work the surgeon's done and put back your recovery. I am very wary of what I can/cant do and have lost some confidence with regards to what I think I will be able to do, I used to ice skate - not well but have thought about starting again but the thought of falling on the very hard ice makes me feel just terrible. I hope this feeling goes as I do want to skate again, but more than anything I do want to ski again and really dont want to stick to blues/greens as I'd just started enjoying some black runs (I actually cant believe I've just typed that) I also want to master short radius turns and enjoy off piste and moguls (I chickened out of them last time I skied)
latest report
Interesting thread, I didn't see this before I had my surgery! I"m now 3 months post op for bankart and SLAP repair, got pretty much full range of motion back and now working hard on strengthening. I'm allowed to return to sport in a couple of weeks. Surgeon has no concerns about me skiing this season (he's a boarder).

bobalexander1983, why did your physio recommend against surgery? By the look of your user name you're fairly young. I don't regret for a second getting mine done. Although there are risks, the risks of not getting it done (further damage, arthritis in future) were much bigger concerns to me.
snow report
Interesting thread, I didn't see this before I had my surgery! I"m now 3 months post op for bankart and SLAP repair, got pretty much full range of motion back and now working hard on strengthening. I'm allowed to return to sport in a couple of weeks. Surgeon has no concerns about me skiing this season (he's a boarder).

bobalexander1983, why did your physio recommend against surgery? By the look of your user name you're fairly young. I don't regret for a second getting mine done. Although there are risks, the risks of not getting it done (further damage, arthritis in future) were much bigger concerns to me.
snow report
I'm three weeks into recovery from an arthroscopic subacromial decompression on the right shoulder, got almost full range of motion back now but have just started strengthening exercises. I was lucky in that it was a 10% tear to the cuff but had some bone shaved off so still a bit sore at times. Surgeon thinks 3 months till skiing snowHead

For anybody that is having shoulder surgery I would recommend getting hold of an aircast shoulder cryocuff, I wore mine almost constantly for a week and it helped a lot with the pain, haven't had to use anything stronger than paracetamol and diclofenac.

Problem is that my trapezius muscle is really overused now ( took them 18 months till the op) and have a stiff neck, does anyone know any decent remedies for a naughty trapezius muscle ?
snow report
Well!!I am here and read out all the posts about the shoulder surgery.According to me that why did your physio recommend against surgery? By the look of your user name you're fairly young. I don't regret for a second getting mine done. Although there are risks, the risks of not getting it done (further damage, arthritis in future) were much bigger concerns to me.
snow report
I am 8 weeks into recovery from open shoulder surgery had decompression and they repaired a torn rotator cuff. Am doing really well back horse riding and strengthening it up in the gym. Am going skiing in a weeks time was wondering if anyone could recommend any types of supports etc? I originally got the injury from a skiing accident 2 years ago (was hit by another skier) so spent the remainder of the week skiing with arm in sling and with 1 pole! Any advice/info/tips much appreciated!
Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy