Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

big ski's little ski's fat ski's skinny ski's that is the question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys and girls

I’m trying to pick up some cheap skis so I thought I would read up on what sort of ski would suit. That’s about the time my head started to spin I thought as long as they went on my feet on not my head I would be laughing.

I found some people saying length of the ski should be based on height some said weight some said go with beginners some said go advanced if you will be skiing alot.

So instead of reading anymore and becoming more confused it’s time to ask so here’s my story.

My height is 6’ weight 14.25 stone (which was 15.45.. 4 weeks ago) so in the next 4 to 6 week it should be 13.5 stone fingers x…

I went skiing 20 years ago for 5 days so it’s safe to say I’m a beginner but that should change quite fast as I’m intending on got skiing January for 2 to 3 months skiing just about every day.

I read a lot about on piste and off piste I think I will be on ski slopes but having never tried off piste or even know if it’s available to me it’s hard to say.

I’ve been looking at some really cheap second hand ski’s (when I say cheap I was looking at pulling 2 skirting broads off the wall and tying them to my feet).

Having said that I’ve seen 2 pairs

Elan scx parabolic 180cm with bindings

Salomon axendo 9 pro link 1.95 salomon 900 binding carvings

Would 1 of these do????

Any Thoughts

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might want to head off to a snow dome near to wherever you live and see if you can get some lessons in to get used to skiing again and then demo a few different types of ski.

I'm sure others with more experience with different ski types will be along shortly to make recommendations..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going to be harsh but no those skis won't do they are really old and will be harder to ski than many modern skis.

If you're going skiing for 2-3 months hire when you get out there for a few weeks until you can actually ski then try a few pairs and decide what type of skis you like. It is almost impossible to advise you what to buy when you don't even ski yet and like you say you won't be a beginner for long. You also have no idea of the type ok skiing you will enjoy, you may enjoy racing about on piste, long turns, short turns, messing about skiing backwards and jumping or skiing off-piste. A ski suited to which ever type of skiing you end up doing most of will be more enjoyable than some compromise do it all ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spec, If you are skiing that much, you will be amazed at how far you can progress in that time if you really do manage to ski everyday all day. The ski that would be appropriate now will not be the same after 4/5 weeks of daily skiing. So Lynsef is right hire first and get friendly with the local hire shop so you can chop and change and get a feel for what is right for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf wrote:
I'm going to be harsh but no those skis won't do they are really old and will be harder to ski than many modern skis.

If you're going skiing for 2-3 months hire when you get out there for a few weeks until you can actually ski then try a few pairs and decide what type of skis you like. It is almost impossible to advise you what to buy when you don't even ski yet and like you say you won't be a beginner for long. You also have no idea of the type ok skiing you will enjoy, you may enjoy racing about on piste, long turns, short turns, messing about skiing backwards and jumping or skiing off-piste. A ski suited to which ever type of skiing you end up doing most of will be more enjoyable than some compromise do it all ski.

^This.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the plural of ski? That is the question.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis, Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis, Plural is def skis. Ski (noun) is one of a pair. But probably a long and inconsequential way from the thread of the post.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go out there and rent a few pairs, then do a deal on buying the rentals. Saves you carting skis out there which won't be suitable after a few weeks of improvement, and you'll probably pick up a decent pair for £100 in resort - the number of really cheap skis on the rack seems to increase as the season progresses, you'll find something you really like and can stick with them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about boots? Far more important than skis. I'd rent both for the first week or two and also invest heavily in lessons to fast-track your progress. Then get a decent pair of ski boots fitted (this will be absolutely critical if you intend to ski every day for 3 months!). Then demo a selection of skis and pick whatever works for you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all

As the general consensus was to wait until I had some experience I think that’s what I’ll be doing.

Well time to start packing as I’m off tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Altogether now ...
"big ski little ski cardboard box.. " - can't remember the rest of the words - something to do with the Court of King Caractacus ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy