Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving in french alps- snow chains needed to drive to Moutiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hoping someone out there can help me.

Driving for the first time in French Alps from Grenoble to Val Thorens- although I was considering driving to Moutiers, parking and cathcing a bus from there.

I was wondering whether snow chains are needed to drive to Moutiers?
Would an economy class car be ok to drive?

Thanks

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vvu, welcome to SHs. Yes, no problem with class of car. If you can get snow tyres (extra charge, they're not standard on French hire cars) that would be good. Normally you don't need chains on the valley roads but it can happen. I just had a text from visitors who are very late for lunch - driving from Dijon. they are in a 4WD Audi and have just texted to say they are pootling along with chains on, through Praz sur Arly - I haven driven from Geneva through Praz sur Arly quite a few times every winter for 9 years now, and have never had to think about chains down there, even when it's been snowing. So it's always possible.

However, you might look at the economics of getting a bus all the way to Val Thorens (or alternatively driving all the way) rather than pay for both bus and car. Are you on your own, and when will you be travellilng? Most times, driving up to Val Thorens is no problem if your vehicle is properly equipped; the weather just now is a bit exceptional. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vvu, Welcome to Snowheads. As pam w said, normally you wouldn't need chains in Moutiers. However, sometimes you do - today for example!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

today for example!

today seems to have been a bad day! the friends who just arrived said that on the first two bends up out of Sallanches towards Combloux they encountered first a lorry stopped, putting its chains on, then another one, which already had them, sliding backwards - slide/judder/stop/judder/slide..... very scary. They put chains on their 4WD as soon as there was a safe place to pull in. They had broken one link by the time they got here, but he's already mended it, and is very, very, glad to have the car safely in a covered garage. It was snowing heavily all the way from Dijon, apparently. They are, however, now ecstatic at the thought of getting out on their boards tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vvu, Normally you don't need snow chains between Grenoble airport and Moutiers, it is motorway or dual carriageway all the way and they are pretty good at clearing the roads. You are much more likely to need chains on the road from Moutiers to Val Thorens. The public transport from Grenoble airport to Moutiers is not great, either price wise or frequency so car hire then bus does seem a good idea if the prospect of driving up a mountain road doesn't appeal to you.

The bus is only 15 euros return from Moutiers to Val Thorens with www.altibus.com and they have frequent services, especially on a Saturday. You shouldn't have a major problem finding somewhere to park near the bus station in Moutiers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy