Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski weights/stiffness (Volkl)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at getting some fairly advanced piste skis for my daughter, they'll be used for her BASI1 next year (hopefully in Austria rather than in a dome) and hopefully for a while after. She's 16 5' 5" and very slight and I'm a bit worried that some of these could be too heavy and/or stiff for her (I've read that some tigersharks etc are).

Possibilities are (in 155-160cm)
Völkl Tigershark 8 + Marker 11.0 TC 10/11
Völkl Crosstiger Steel + Marker 3Motion 11.TC 10/11
Völkl Crosstiger Carbon + Marker IPT 12.0 10/11

I can't find anything on the weight of each of these, anyone know? Anything on stiffness particularly if any would be too much for her?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, I have the Crosstiger Carbon and I think they are pretty stiff and certainly fairly heavy. However as you know I am a pretty moderate skier and not nearly as good as Natalie. I think they are great skis. Sorry that's not much help!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ianmacd, Hi, nice to hear from you, any LDA trips planned this year? I thought they were probably the stiffest of the 3, any idea of the actual weight?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tigershark 10ft weigh a ton. Almost literally.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah, Tigershark 10ft (powerswitch) weigh in at about 7kg for the pair, and are stiff. (Ive just returned from a week on these and after 2 days my legs were screaming! Im not a powerful skier, 68kg and 5'6"). Volkl are known for being stiff by all accounts, but in their defence, when pushed, the tigersharks is when they really start to work and make sense.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, might have to have a rethink, she only weighs about 40kg or so.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, if you're in 2Alpes this season you could go and ask James in Carrel Sports - he's a BASI coach, should be able to give you sensible advice. He's stocking Line, Nordica, Volkl and Scott at the moment if I remember correctly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, I'll be there on 21st January Very Happy I was hoping to get some for her birthday (31st Jan) from Sport Conrad though. She's not skiing before our Easter visit this year though so it doesn't matter too much.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, we have ridiculous amounts of snow. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, no plans for L2A this year. I am hoping to go to SoPIB. I don't have skis here at the moment but think they are about 6-7 kg the pair with bindings in 175.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ianmacd, Thanks, sounds as if weight is a problem for all 3 Volkls.

Lizzard, Looking forward to it after the lack of it on my last 2 trips. Will look you up for a beer and a slide perhaps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A 2007 - 2011 thread (majority is v old info; alot has changed, perhaps so much this is useless!) but just in case it's some use for general trends on brands etc ; Gr column is mass in g per ski ;

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/76416-The-Official-Ski-Weight-Thread
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy