Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many weeks skiing have you all had?

Poster: A snowHead
This is just to distract myself from this job application form I'm supposed to be filling out lol!

I'm just being nosy and wondering how many weeks you've all had away on snow? Very Happy

I only took up skiing last year when my horse got injured and I couldn't ride. Was only supposed to have a few lessons on the dry slopes and instead went away twice last year and got my third week booked for next month lol. Stupidly volunteered to work all the christmas bank holidays so I can then afford another trip in March haha. Not sure whats going to happen when I can start riding again this April!

Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edited to add I have to start simple posts as I can't contribute to all the technical ones lol
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh gosh, have lost count Shock Have been skiing for about 24 years though

My horse is long-term lame too, a pain isn't it!! We need to get our adrenalin fix somehow Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Millie10,

welcome to snowheads, you will find a mix of people on hear so please dont take all replies to heart but certainly the majority are here to help and offer information.

in a light hearted response to your question, not nearly as much as I want, need or should have!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm not sure anymore, maybe 25-ish? Ride in summer, ski in winter Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In Morzine last year I combined horses and skiing and tries ski joering! Now that was an adrenaline fix! lol

Thanks ansta. Been on here about 12 months now but struggle to join in on posts other than my own as I have no advice to give lol. I do keep an eye on the injury section just incase I can help lol (physiotherapist)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mental note, look at number of posts before assuming its a noob to the forum.

we are a horsey lot too, both daughters (6 and 10) ride regularly, father in law has a livery, cross country course, out door school business. Just lost eldest daughters ride to a vehicle acccident, fortunately no injuries though but very sad none the less.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Into my 6th week now (3 full weeks and about 5 short breaks), but got another lads short break booked for January and then a week away with the family in late February. Don't think I'll be able to get away again this year, but can't really complain as I've already had a short break to Tignes this November.

Just can't get enough of it! Would go more often if holidays / family / work allowed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
once when i was 13, with school, then started again 7 years ago when 32, about 14 times now. My daughter has just turned 5 and she will be on her fourth actual ski hol in Feb (where she is skiing)...her first snow hol was at about 3 to 4 months old (though she was made in Belle Plagne Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Just lost eldest daughters ride to a vehicle acccident, fortunately no injuries though but very sad none the less.

O/T but so sorry to hear that - sounds awful Sad Sad

Quote:

In Morzine last year I combined horses and skiing and tries ski joering! Now that was an adrenaline fix! lol

Would love to try that, but OH insists that our ski week is horse free (only one week of the year that is!!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After a few trips to MK my first proper skiing was in 2005 at age 46. I've crammed 24 weeks in since although you wouldn't think so from my skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow Colin! That's impressive lol
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i've had around 13 weeks skiing since i was born (18 now) and going to go to 16 week season in jan
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 weeks in the mountains and loads of time in Tamworth fridge since starting 2 years ago, week 4 booked for the end of next month learning off piste with Easiski in Les 2 Alpes and waiting fingers crossed for Admin to create a family bash to take my mini snowHead away at easter for week 5 for me, 3 for them
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After searching the memory banks up to around 110 weeks over 20 years, mostly in the last 10 years. So overall average 5.5 weeks per year, put like that it's woefully small amount of time though put another way 2 years of my entire life, or 0.04761% of my life, hmm that sounds even worse. I don't even want to start working out the cost, though probably less than a coke habit or a flash car habit or a house with more bedrooms, bigger drive and a slightly posher post code habit.
ski holidays
davkt, ah, didnt know you were so new to it

My ten year old started at three so is also on the "about 14" trips. Lucky girl.
ski holidays
waynos, It's probably my maths but I can't believe you're over 200 Smile
latest report
davkt, If there isn't a family bash have a chat with Charlotte about Easter in LDA. I go there with my daughter every Easter holiday (this will be the 6th) and there are several families who meet up there every year.
snow conditions
I can find 13 - I thought it was more - wishful thinking maybe Razz
latest report
Colin B, Puzzled I've been alive around around 42*52 weeks, skied 110 weeks, that's (110 / (42*52) ) * 100 is approx 5%

Your location tag really annoys me (no offence), but I'm probably going to end up there again sooner than I wanted and it's far too flat.
snow report
300 weeks+ ... im now 34 so since I started skiing at 4 that is about average of 10 weeks a year for 30 years BUT virtually all that has been in the past 10 years since I now teach day in day out (virtually) all year round... my only job is teaching snowsports.

Using waynos calculations then that is 6 years of my life (17%)... put another way not far off the total amount of time I spent in school.

13 countries and 70+ resorts around the world.... favourite moments of my skiing life - winning my first ski school race on the 7th January 198x in Saalbach-Hinterglemm (should have come second but my friend stopped before the finish line to celebrate - haa haa - I still have that badge at home Very Happy) and the day I passed the last of my ISTD exams.... ohh and the other day in the powder.
ski holidays
Since 1977 I have skied 15 whole weeks, one season where I skied approximately 15 hours per week (this would equate to approx 8.3 further full weeks) and roughly 20 trips to snowdomes and such like. I'd call this about 24 weeks in total. Not nearly enough! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Colin B, Will do, slight complication in that one of the girls is a darkslider but I'm sure Charlotte could point her to a suitable school for the one plankers!
snow conditions
waynos, I thought you were a fellow Peterborian at one time, not a patch on Schladming.

So 0.05% makes you 420 Puzzled , my brain hurts Smile

davkt, she could recommend someone, Luca the mad Italian comes to mind
snow report
Steve Angus, I knew someone would out trump me, something to aim for.

More stats then.
Number of countries : 8, continents 3, resorts : approx 45
Pairs of ski boots owned 3 (once they're comfy I don't like to change 'em)
Skis owned : 9 with 3 still in current use, though most days are on my beloved ex-rental 8 seasons used pockets.

Favourite moment: My first time on skis, first and last powder runs. And in October whilst getting ski tour gear sorted in a snow covered car park this german fella looks at my skis and says "those 'pockets' are legendary". That made my season and the powder that day was pretty good too.
ski holidays
4 weeks in Scotland up to age 16........then nowt for 26 years.
Then took my children out to Belle Plagne about six years ago. I couldn't believe it! Lots of DRY snow,masses of runs and clothing that was warm and dry, esp gloves, and goggles which actually were functional. No, I didn't buy all the gear in C&A in Leeds like the old days. Incredibly, despite a 26 year break it really was like riding a bike. Six weeks since the break so ten in total...feels like more. Eldest dauchter now in VT doing a season chalet hosting. Am green with envy.
snow report
Colin B, you're getting me worried about my own maths. 0.05 * 42 = 2.1years or around 110 weeks of skiing. (5% = 0.05)

I like to think of myself as a Schladminger (at least for this moment in time) - which is what they call the locals here and the local brew, of which there are many empty bottles of in my garage in Pottyboro.
snow report
One thing we all seem to be doing, especially us late starters, is setting our kids up. My daughter is 16 next month, started the same time as me at 8 and now has about 17 weeks. BASI1 next year and then it's up to her.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This thread was sad enough to send me scuttling off to find a spreadsheet on my laptop which records every day I've skied. I was hugely relieved to see that I haven't updated it for over 3 years. Despite this unforgivable breakdown in my ocd tendencies I reckon the answers about 60 weeks. snowHead
snow conditions
waynos, Not that it matters at all but you put 0.05% = 1/200 Smile

We did get a sprinkling of snow here at the weekend, best on higher slopes, about 20ft above sea level.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
One thing we all seem to be doing, especially us late starters, is setting our kids up. My daughter is 16 next month, started the same time as me at 8 and now has about 17 weeks. BASI1 next year and then it's up to her.

Now that's proper parenting Cool So many unemployed/shelfstacking youngsters out there with useless Mickey Mouse Degrees...........get them out there and point them in the direction of constructive fun Very Happy
snow report
Plan is (if she still want to do it) to try to get BASI2 by 18. Then if she has a gawp year she can teach/earn, whether she goes to University or takes ski teaching qualifications is another matter (both are extremely expensive).

I was talking to one of the New Gen guys at the PSB he said that it cost him about the same to qualify to teach in France (ISTD/TT, etc) as University.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
Plan is (if she still want to do it) to try to get BASI2 by 18. Then if she has a gawp year she can teach/earn, whether she goes to University or takes ski teaching qualifications is another matter (both are extremely expensive).

I was talking to one of the New Gen guys at the PSB he said that it cost him about the same to qualify to teach in France (ISTD/TT, etc) as University.

At least if she was fully qualified to teach she would probably get a job. .... UK 1,000,000 plus unemployed 16 to 24 age group, many graduates.
snow conditions
Quote:

More stats then.
Number of countries : 8, continents 3, resorts : approx 45
For me it's years skied nearly 24; Countries skied 16; Continents skied 3; Resorts approx 135.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:

yes it does because when you qualify to ISTD level you get (in effect) a degree in ski teaching in France. The French view a fully qualified instructor qualification as a degree level qualification - you get a Brevat de Ski Alpin in the same was you would from a French University Brevat de X!

Cost me about £15000 to get qualified and some people spend more than that - dependent on many factors. That is exams and direct costs of qualifications only - not lessons beforehand improving etc.
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
This thread was sad enough to send me scuttling off to find a spreadsheet on my laptop which records every day I've skied. I was hugely relieved to see that I haven't updated it for over 3 years. Despite this unforgivable breakdown in my ocd tendencies I reckon the answers about 60 weeks. snowHead

What did it say when you finally rooted out the 3yr-out-of-date-ocd-spreadsheet then, about 5 weeks? - It's been a busy last couple of years after all! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
About 93 weeks (when I was young with my parents, then a 20 year gap, then the last 29 years, usually for 3 weeks).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 20-12-11 21:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I have had 8 * 1 week trips and one 10 day trip

Verbier - 1 Week
Soldeau - 1 Week
Schladming - 1 Week
Canada (Jasper/Lake Louise/Banff) - 10 days
Campitello - 1 Week
Neiderau - 1 Week
Zell Am Ziller - 1 Week
Ellmau - 1 Week
Kirchdorf - 1 Week

So a total of 57 days on snow in the mountains.

I have also had a fair number of sessions in Tamworth and a few in Castleford and MK Sno Zones.

I didn't start until I was 37, and will be 53 on the day I return from my next trip (to Scheffau 7th-14th January)

There were a couple of years either side of the Canada trip where I couldn't afford it because I was putting two daughters through college, and I didn't get a trip last year, but I generally get one trip per year.
latest report
Reading the above I really need to get skiing more!
latest report
About 80000000000 weeks I think. Since I was 6, so over the last 16 years, although the vast majority of it has been in the last 4 years.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 20-12-11 0:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy