Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best goggle lens for flat light/fog

Poster: A snowHead
i know - that old chestnut!

been using carrera kimerick yellows which aren't bad, but the lens cracked so now need a new pair (& they steamed up fairly easily too).

seems like a choice between smiths sensor mirror (any suggestions which colour/model (mens)??) or oakley hi-yellow.. Any thoughts? Are either better than the carreras.. anyone tried purple lenses.., and does it really depend on your eyesight which ones work best?

I don't wear goggles when the light is good so only interested in flat light performance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Something like this would do you .... http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/216662yellowplaid
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vote her for oakley hi-vis yellow.

best flat light lens i've ever used.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any smith optics goggle that you fancy with a sensor mirror lens
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dragon's - with pink ion lenses would get my money. Fantastic definition, incredibly comfy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for your comments everyone - still suitably confused Happy Was hoping for a massive vote for one in particular! Happy

has there really been any advance in flat light lenses in the past 5 years? I guess there's only so much you can do with a sheet of plastic...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have an Oakley O Frame with clear lens for such condition.

According to Oakley, the transmission profile for their lens are as follow:
Clear lens - 90%
Hi Intensity Yellow - 81%
Ruby Clear Iridium - 70%
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverwhy,
general wisdom seems to be that yellow are 'best' for flat light (i.e. at increasing contrast), certainly if you look at other sports (cycling, golf), but snowsports seem to deem them 'cheap' or naff, so shades of pink (aka vermilion, rose etc,) are more popular.
TBH, and as each persons eyesight is different, if you're really concerned, buy in a shop on or near the mountains, and look out the window whilst trying different pairs - helped me narrow the choice down quite quickly.

If you're slightly colour blind (quite common in guys) you may find that one shade or other is much more effective.

I'm not aware of any correlation between cost and quality when it comes to lenses, despite what the advertisers might say!
h.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a massive fan of teh Oakley Hi-Yellow.

have had three pairs now and haven't yet tried a mates goggles on and thought "I'd rather have these" mind you i've never tried the Smith sensor mirror so can't give you a comparison
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oakley hi yellow would seem to let more light in (claimed 81%) as against the sensor mirror 70%...

all other things being equal (which i know they're not from reading comments on Oakley frames) any comments on that from those who prefer the sensor mirrors.
And are clear lenses better than tinted? I'm more concerned with definition than amount of light.. or is that the same thing?

Am nowhere near a mountain so can't try them, and buying in resort probably not the cheapest option!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The I/Os googles I have are the best googles I have used the anti fogging system works really well, can't comment on the 11% differential , but would echo the thoughts that it's better to try before you buy , and I doubt that smith goggles are any dearer in resort , the interchangeable lens system is the easiest to use also allowing for one goggle that does all Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
appreciate the advantages of one goggle that does all, but as i said i only wear them when the weather is bad, preferring my Bloc multi-lens sunnies otherwise. With the yellow lens they work pretty well in bad light unless it's actually snowing (or raining!). I use goggles for those days... & a pair that don't steam up too easily will be a distinct advantage..

Don't want to spend a fortune - i'm leaning towards these http://tinyurl.com/bvma9ky
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
riverwhy, I have a pair of phenom as my spare pair , they are a great goggle with the same anti fogging system ,and that's a good price snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
river,

Here is the thing - you need to know the basics of what wavelengths of colours make up light.

Flat light is caused by too much blue wavelength light; so you need something that absorbs blue light, or filters out blue light.

Yellow lenses filter everything except yellow wavelength. So blue gets filtered. Yellow is a mixture of green and red in the visual wavelength spectrum, so it absorbs red, green and filters the only left in the colour triangle, blue. Yellow is the best compromise between filtering blue light and high VLT (edited)

Rose/pink is a mix of blue and red - so it absorbs blue light, and some red and filters the predominance of green.

Everyone's eyes are different, in terms of the sensitivity of the cones to the wavelength colours - no two pairs of eyes are the same. So yellow may suit someone, and rose may suit others. But yellow seems to work best for most people because it is the best at filtering the blue wavelength light, rather than absorbing it like pink.

The other thing with flat light conditions is that you want to let in maximum light, so avoid anything that has a mirror finish - Oakley's HI Yellow has some reflective properties with a faint blue'ish hue/coating.

So you are down to really pinky/rose and yellow lenses, pref without any mirror coatings. You really need to try them out for yourself - asking others will only give you a guide. Its your eyes, not anyone elses, so you owe it to yourself to do the best by you.

If you really don't know, then get a pair of A frames, with a fire or black iridium mirror lens for bright days, then get a HI yellow spare lens, and a VR50 Pink iridium spare lens, use both for a few days, decide which is the best, and sell the other one on ebay. On the mountains, the light is intense, and snow blindness is no joke - I shudder each time I see people with orange lenses without mirror coatings on bluebird intensely bright days, esp children. My eyes will be the first thing I want to protect, then its my head.

It will take a while whilst you experiment. Otherwise you will just have to lump it and buy a generic lens (eg G30 iridium or VR28 or Blue iridium) that fits the 'middle' conditions ie not too bright, not foggy/flat, and be really careful in flat light days, and likewise on really really bright days.

PS: No I don't work for Oakley Laughing

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 22-12-11 18:24; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scott 'Light Amplifier' Lens.
Trust me - I ski in Scotland Wink
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, I have these too, in an old pair of Factor style gogs. Best type I have ever used and they work for me even on sunny days. I managed to pick up a second pair last season at Quchea in Domancy for 17 Euro, right bargain but the wife has now pinched them and am looking again.
latest report
^ yip - great thing about Scott Googles is they are fairly cheap...
Plus they are better than Oakleys (IMVHO)
ski holidays
psbbst
Quote:
Yellow is a mixture of green and red

Are you sure?

I always thought yellow was a primary colour. Green is a mix of yellow and blue.
latest report
jzBun wrote:
psbbst
Quote:
Yellow is a mixture of green and red

Are you sure?

I always thought yellow was a primary colour. Green is a mix of yellow and blue.

Hahaha!

Calling talking b0ll0x on yo' a$$!
snow conditions
Sorry, typo...

Yellow is a subtractive primary - but is still a mixture of green and red on the additive primary end - at this extreme end when used in lenses it blocks blue light mostly. Brown & yellow is visually known to increase contrast - but brown is too dark and VLT is too low, so therefore yellow is the next next best compromise between higher VLT value and blocking blue light....

Apologies for typo

This yellow-blue antagonistic visual colour perception of cones and rods is usually the theory applied whereby it appears that yellow is the best tint used to lift visual perception where there is too much blue light.

Embarassed

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 22-12-11 18:39; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
thanks for the details psbbst - does that mean you wouldn't recommend sensor MIRROR, or is that just a name and they aren't really mirrored?
snow report
how are the Scotts for anti-fog?? and i have to ask, if the Smiths standard anti-fog system is so good why do they also need to make a pair with a little fan in??
snow conditions
psbbst, I am a little confused by your explanation of lens colours. Here are three extracts from your post:
psbbst wrote:
absorbs blue light, or filters out blue light.

... Brown... absorbs red, green and filters ... blue.

Rose/pink ... absorbs blue light, and some red and filters the predominance of green.

Can you please explain to me the difference between 'filtering' and 'absorbing'.
snow report
Adrian wrote:
psbbst, I am a little confused by your explanation of lens colours. Here are three extracts from your post:
psbbst wrote:
absorbs blue light, or filters out blue light.

... Brown... absorbs red, green and filters ... blue.

Rose/pink ... absorbs blue light, and some red and filters the predominance of green.

Can you please explain to me the difference between 'filtering' and 'absorbing'.

Sorry - apologies again - my poor choice of words....I should do better.

Goggle lenses are translucent - so we can't think of it like a sexy pair of Jimmy Choos, where for example, it reflects red, so we see the shoes as red.

Transmission is a better word to use.

Brown lens - transmits a mixture of darker red and darker green wavelengths - that's a better choice of word - so we see brown. So the same for yellow - being a colour derived from lighter red/green wavelengths, transmits the various wavelengths that that is predominantly yellow. It doesn't allow (therefore filters) blue. If you remember, brown tints and grey tints give great contrast in bright sunlight. So yellow tints, filtering blue, also allow for high contrast from a white surface in low light - if you add blue light to yellow light (using additive visual perception) you actually get a white'ish hue.

Rose/pink - transmits a mix of blue and red - so some blue gets through for you to see pink/rose - that's why some people can't get on with it and prefer yellow.

Sorry - lets hope I've redeemed myself - must not type after 3 glasses of wine after dinner esp. at Christmas time! Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 22-12-11 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
riverwhy wrote:
thanks for the details psbbst - does that mean you wouldn't recommend sensor MIRROR, or is that just a name and they aren't really mirrored?

Apologies - what I mean by mirror is the overtly mirrored lenses that block light transmission.

All goggle lenses have a light coating for anti-fog, and they also have a slightly reflective coating to protect against UVA/B et al. These range for slightly reflective (Oakley's HI Yellow with that blue'ish hue) to the fully mirrored (Fire iridium and Black iridium polarised)

The Smith I/Os are fine if you can choose a colour and tint that transmits max light between 60%or so is the recommended range for flat light.

Also, looking at your title, no lenses will allow you to see through fog - you need to be Superman/Clark Kent for those situations. Flat light situation is entirely different. But in the mountains, flat light is also usually accompanied with poor visibility as the clouds and atmosphere conjure to let a lot of blue light through. So if its overcast and flat light, you stand the best chance with the correct tint. If its flat light with fog, I'd say head to the nearest mountain restaurant for a Vin Chaud or Chocolat or pizza Laughing

I have 3 sets of goggles (actually 5 but I only bring 3 pairs - saves the faff of changing lens) as I don't ski at Easter (can't get time off) but in January when its in the depths of winter, and as I wear contacts when skiing I'm always in goggles to keep my eyes from watering or drying due to the cold and/or wind - I have a bluebird-day pair with about 15% VLT and highly mirrored with a gold/brown tint; a generic pair for when the weather can't make up its mind with about 40%-45% VLT with orange tint with a bit of mirror, and a flat light/snowy pair for when its snowing or flat light 60-%-65% VLT (yellow, without obvious mirror).

I usually look at the weather forecast for the day to decide which to wear, and which other pair to stuff in my jacket goggle pocket. And yes I have been caught out when I needed a bluebird-day pair after lunch but only have my yellow lens pair. I usually then head back to get them at lunch if there is time.

Laughing
ski holidays
do you think these are genuine? http://tinyurl.com/cyf8vw5

not sure what colour lens - looks pinky-blue - and don't know what happened to the box!!
snow conditions
Thank you, psbbst, for explaining in more detail.
ski holidays
riverwhy, turbo fan is the next step up , but a bit of a gadget IMHO , think this whole topic proves one thing, there is no one size fits all , and the best way is not to worry about saving a few quid, but to try a couple of lens types in resort before you buy snowHead or wear a large back pack and carry one of every colour/tint/transmission just to be sure Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Are you sure?

What do you mean by primary colour? If you're painting, red, yellow and blue are the primary colours, as you were taught in school but that's just historic. Your printer used cyan, magenta and yellow and your old TV used red, green amd blue.

In this case, light isn't made up of mixtures of three colours, it's a wavelength somewhere along a spectrum that a combination of our three different cones can detect.

As the font of all knowledge, wikipedia, says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_color, it not that simple.
snow conditions
There are additive primary colours - blue, red, green; and there are subtractive primary colours - cyan, yellow, magenta

And then there is colour theory - or opponent process - that our cones and rods make us perceive colour in an antagonistic manner - one of the key antagonistic opponent process is the blue-yellow - so we can't see yellow'ish blue....

But then I see the HI Yellow of Oakley, and I notice a blue'ish yellow, which then means that Trichomatic Theory is probably at work....

Darn, I need to go lie down now - just buy the Oakleys Riverwhy - with HI Yellow.....

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy