Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How it is to ski - and flip - off a water ramp

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Aerial freestylers train on trampolines and ... ramps into lakes or pools.

Here's a newbie's insight into what it's like to launch yourself down - and off - a ramp, landing with a splash. Ray Grass reports for Deseret News.

Having plucked up the cowardice (because I never flipped) to ski off a steep water ramp - back in the 1970s, into a lake above Kaprun, Austria - I can confirm what Ray Grass says:
Quote:
... From there it was off to the dressing room where wetsuits, helmets, skis and boots and the all-important lifejacket were fitted. From there the trail led to the ramp ... and the first reality check.

Looking down the ramp, with no quick exit either right or left, only off the end and into the water, is a lot different than the view from across the pool. Double black-diamond runs on snow seemed, to me, a little less intimidating. On steep runs you can always stop, survey the best exit and take it. Off a jump ramp there is no stopping, not with any safety, anyway. Once you commit, it's all air and water after that.

Yes, even if you've no intention of flipping, it's flipping scary!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 1-09-05 10:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A thread on this sort of thing up at Tignes, in case anyone missed it last month, with some great photos...

I took a look myself from the top on August 8th, but there was no one around, so unfortunately I couldn't give it a go... I would have, honest... wink

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
F*^%k that!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, and WHAT, fer God's sake do you set your bindings at? Water is much 'grippier' than snow and ice. I've screwed up a few dives from a 10 metre board and I know just how hard water can be Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The famous Holmenkollen ski jump above Oslo (used for the 1952 Winter Olympics) has its landing flooded in summer for water jumps. The major ramp - photographed from the tower here - isn't used for that because the flat landing would be way too dangerous, but if you look at the left of the lake at 5 o'clock (click here for blow-up)
there are three much smaller ramps for freestyle jumps.

This is a fabulous place to visit - one of the great shrines of skiing - especially because it has an interesting ski museum below it. The view across Oslo from the top of the tower is spectacular, too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:
A thread on this sort of thing up at Tignes, in case anyone missed it last month, with some great photos...

I took a look myself from the top on August 8th, but there was no one around, so unfortunately I couldn't give it a go... I would have, honest... wink

Looks like a ton of fun to me. Good choice with no one around though. Wish I had something like that near me!! You could pull some sick poo-poo come winter practicing on those all summer! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What is the top material they use. Maybe I could build one?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
huckingfellers, there's all kinds of artificial ski matting made in Europe and Japan. Brand names to look up include Dendix, PermaSnow, Astro Gelande, Snowflex.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Id stear clear of that one on the right if you want to say in one piece so you can drown trying to paddle with skis on !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've dipped a toe in that lake in the summer and apart from trying to swim in skis, that lake will turn your plums to a walnut in a heartbeat Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy