Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montchavin / Les Coches lift pass

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Les Coches for 5 days boarding after Christmas, 2 adults 2 kids 11 and 13. This will be our second week away boarding, although we have also spent quite a lot of time in fridges since we learnt last year. We don't have any lessons booked.

I'm confused about which pass to get, whether to just go for the Montchavin / Les Coches village pass, which is much cheaper, then pay for an upgrade if we want to go further afield, or if that will be too restrictive and the full La Plagne or Paradiski passes would be better, especially since we are very close to the Vanoise express. Can also buy one day at a time too.

Unless we get brave we'll be sticking to blues, I prefer nice wide pistes if possible but husband and kamikaze youngest son do love the snowparks, but I'm not sure if any will be open this early.

Advice gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there last year for 3 days and got a La Plagne pass. Roche de Mio and Bellecote are a must, if only for the views but you must have a blast down Tunnel, it's a local law.

The blue off Mio down towards Chambery is a must for boarding, with soft stuff everywhere off to the sides.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vickitav, I would strongly recommend the full paradiski pass then you've got the freedom to roam around the amazing area without worrying about if you have the right pass.

The skiing over in the Les Arcs side is - IMV - better
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

If you are confident on blues and like to explore, then I think that you will find the Montchavin pass too restrictive.

I would recommend either the La Plagne or the Paradiski pass which will let you roam a bit further and have a go on the snowparks too.

Happy holiday!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One week + fridge time behind you? Mmmm, if you were at the other end of La Plagne I'd say La Plagne only but as you are close to the Vanoise Express then you might want to get over to Les Arcs so you'd need the Paradiski pass. Annoyingly It looks like the family deals are only for 6 days or more as is the "Discovery" pass which gives you 1 day on the other side. Add it all up and see if the difference is worth it for you.

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/skiing/lift-passes.html

Anyway there will be more than enough skiing for 5 days in La Plagne which is a huge area on it's own - 225 km of piste and loads of blue runs and a snow park.
Montchavin to Champagny and back will probably take you most of the day with a lunch stop - don't be surprised if you're more knackered than the kids!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 19-12-11 17:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
vickitav, If you are not that expereinced then go La Plagne only. The Montchavin/Les Coches pass will be to limiting for you. It would be insane to waste money on a Paradski, you won't get value from it. Also when you get there get some advice from locals re boarding runs in La Plagne (and Les Arcs) there are some awful flat bits which are torture on boards. For example, when you come of the Sala chair heading down toards Plagne Bellecote, there are 3 runs there, always take the left hand 'Arpette' run, the other 2 unless you are very good on a board you will end up walking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice everyone, sounds like I'm unlikely to get away with the nice cheap village pass - boo!
I'm wondering if the full Paradiski would actually be the best plan because of the Vanoise Express, it looks to me from the map that by using that the Piesey slopes will be easier for us to get to than the far Plagne ones?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vickitav, Far La Plagne Ones? To get to the Vanoise from Les Coches you have to go up one lift anyway. At that point you are a fair way to the main part of La Plagne. On one hand you are wanting to save money on the other you are wanting to spend more money. If you are well off buy the Paradski as there are a few runs close to the other side that would be good on a board but its a lot of money to spend when you have 225km on the La Plagne side? If the snow is good (and it is) then the runs back to Les Coches are great.

We own a place in Les Arcs but have done quite a few holidays in Montchavin, trust me, buy the La Plagne only pass. IMO La Plagne is nicer than Les Arcs but don't tell boredsurfin I said that. Shhh.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The cheapest way seems to be to get a 6 day pass, even though we're only there for 5 days, and the prices work out for 4 of us as 539 euros for the village pass, 719 for La plagne, 759 with 1 day Les Arcs and 799 Paradiski, so once you rule out the village pass, there's not a whole lot between the others.

Having only been away once before (Avoriaz) and having spent quite a bit of that in lessons and practicing technique on the same few slopes it's hard for me to interpret just how far everything is on the map so apologies for the stupid questions and many thanks for all the help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vickitav, Enjoy. La Plagne is vast and beautiful, plenty there to keep you amused. You will want to go back again. Learn La Plagne first then go exploring Paradski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just an update and to say thanks for all the advice.
We went for the La Plagne pass in the end, although only once left the Les Coches side due to settling in / poor visibility / high winds / avalanche risk making the trip 'over the top' a bit tricky, if not impossible at certain times.
Typically on the one day we headed over we nearly got stuck there as the only lift back (Arpettes) had a problem and wasn't running, in the end only those people staying on the Les Coches side were allowed to use it at a very slow rate and it kept stopping rather alarmingly, no idea what was wrong with it....

Had a fantastic time though with all sorts of different snow conditions including knee-deep powder.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
vickitav, Sounds great, glad to hear you had a good time. There are far worse places to be stuck(?) that the runs to Montchavin and Les Coches in powder.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy