Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dialling French mobiles

Poster: A snowHead
When in France with an English mobile phone what number would you dial
to call a French mobile with the number +33665592*** (I've deleted the last 3 No's)!

Do I dial 0033665592*** Puzzled

Thnks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never used an English mobile phone but I'd think the easiest way is to dial +33665592***. I also save all the numbers in my phone in that form, so it doesn't matter where I am when I'm calling.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ignore the country code, just dial 665592***
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
.. but out a zero in front of it .. 06xxxxxx
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Either 00 33 6 65 59 2* ** or +33 6 65 59 2* ** should work fine
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dial +33665592***. Your phone should have a '+', sometimes you get it by pressing zero twice. Look carefully at the keypad. It will be there somewhere. '00' as the prefix probably won't work.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dirty Gibson wrote:
Dial +33665592***. Your phone should have a '+', sometimes you get it by pressing zero twice. Look carefully at the keypad. It will be there somewhere. '00' as the prefix probably won't work.

+ and 00 are the exact same thing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
Dirty Gibson wrote:

+ and 00 are the exact same thing.
... in most countries but definitely not everywhere.

The + tells the phone it is an international number and to dial the local international prefix.

The 00 is the local international prefix for most of Europe but a lot of the world use different practices.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_call_prefixes

However this is all moot as if you are using a UK mobile roaming on a foreign network the call will be routed via the UK and you will need to dial as if you are in the UK. Therefore either +33 665592*** or 00 33 665592*** will work (00 being the international call prefix for the UK that tells the exchange you are making an international call, 33 being the international direct dial code for France). 0665592*** will not work as you haven't told the exchange you are dialing an international number. The call will probably fail as I don't think there are any UK numbers that begin 06.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flet©h,
Quote:
0665592*** will not work as you haven't told the exchange you are dialing an international number.

I'm afraid that is duff information. A UK mobile does connect with local French numbers dialled in France. (I've just done it to make sure I havent lost the plot)

Bit of a moot point though as +-country code on all numbers is a better way to store them

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 19-12-11 10:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
* moot
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, Thank You -- edited Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, I didn't know dialling just the local call number with a UK mobile was possible - but of course I accept your experience. Does the phone company treat the call as local for billing purposes?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks peoples Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'Does the phone company treat the call as local for billing purposes?'

Nope, cos you're roaming.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Does the phone company treat the call as local for billing purposes?

Laughing nice try.
snow report
Thought that some phones or operators did some clever non-standard trickery so that it'd interpret 0xxx as your home international prefix plus std, probably to save their lazier customers re-entering all their stored numbers.

Put everything in as +XX YYY ZZZZZZZZZ and everything will work everywhere (cos that's the proper way).
latest report
You definitely should put numbers in as + rather than 00. I had a mix in my contacts on my sim, which has been fine previously, but my most recent phone (android) fails on the 00 ones when calling UK from NL.
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Flet©h,
Quote:
0665592*** will not work as you haven't told the exchange you are dialing an international number.

I'm afraid that is duff information. A UK mobile does connect with local French numbers dialled in France. (I've just done it to make sure I havent lost the plot)

Bit of a moot point though as +-country code on all numbers is a better way to store them
Your phone/exchange must be doing some weird non-standard trickery then.

What happens if you dial a UK number without the international bits? (i.e. 0 208 xxx xxxx) It should work as on most phones and connect with no problem, in which case I wonder how it worked out the other number was a French one?
snow conditions
Flet©h, It wont connect with UK unless I use the country code when in France -- converse when I am in Uk.

Vodafone - currently Blackberry but has always worked that way with Nokia etc
snow report
Agenterre, How weird, I've had Nokia's, Samsung's and now an iPhone that I think have worked the other way. I'm in the UK now so I can't test it but I didn't always save my numbers as +44 and I've never has a problem phoning home.
snow conditions
Agenterre, Flet©h, I've had both experiences, most recently calling someone in UK from NL when I didn't realise I'd not put a +44 in front of their saved number - failed.

Let's just say you're both right and shake on it. Little Angel
snow report
andyph, I think the NL network is particularly sensitive to that. I couldn't call out to UK numbers that I'd not put in +44. I also couldn't call them using 0044 (but I think that's my new phone). Not had that problem previously in other countries.
snow conditions
wigan, It's got nothing to do with the phone. All 2G/3G phones pass the number through to the network in the same way.
ski holidays
provenjohn, why don't you just try it?
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
provenjohn, why don't you just try it?

Is it not acceptable to ask for advice now then?
ski holidays
provenjohn, not proving a very effective strategy though, is it? It's going to take you longer to read all this rather inconclusive nonsense than it would just to try the three available options yourself. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
provenjohn, not proving a very effective strategy though, is it? It's going to take you longer to read all this rather inconclusive nonsense than it would just to try the three available options yourself. Laughing

Can't afford it, saving up for my lift pass Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy