Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mammoth April 2012 - accommodation recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are off to California on 6 April for a couple of weeks, visiting friends in LA then up to Mammoth. Has anyone skied Mammoth recently (have done a search on the forum and cannot find any recent trip reports), what accommodation would you recommend (family group, 2 adults, 2 teens), any other tips/suggestions welcomed. Also, what is the drive like from LA - is it worth driving ie interesting scenery etc, or would we be better saving time and flying from LA into Mammoth.

Any other suggestions for must do/see in and around LA/southern California ?

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump - no-one skied Mammoth recently?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gamekeeper wrote:
Bump - no-one skied Mammoth recently?

Too busy out skiing! Wink

Quote:
Also, what is the drive like from LA - is it worth driving ie interesting scenery etc, or would we be better saving time and flying from LA into Mammoth.

Any other suggestions for must do/see in and around LA/southern California ?

Drive! Detour into the deserts. The list is a little daunting: Death Valley NP, Jashua Tree NP. Mojave NP,Palm Springs.

That time of the year, you'll start to see wild flowers in the desert. Best time of the year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, abc, that was what I had originally planned (the friends in LA then suggested flying up to Mammoth) - I do like to see some of the country that I am visiting
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gamekeeper, yes defo drive in April when the roads are likely to be clear. You'll need a car there as everything is strung out. Driving itself is a great pleasure in that area so rent a decent car if you can

I've stayed at the wonderfully named Quality Inn on the main road in Mammoth which is an OK Motel. - hardly a recommendation though...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There're condo's up at one of the base, which might be best for a family. I haven't stayed in any so can't recommend specific ones.

That time of year, you should be able to bargain hard and get a nice deal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drive up, its a long one but well worth it.
Been 4 times and the best accomodation for me is The Alpenhof - just opposite the new village and gondola link to Canyon lodge, best apres bar (clock tower bar) is under the hotel, Burgers restarant next door and the bars/shops of the village opposite.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy'n'netty wrote:
Drive up, its a long one but well worth it.
Been 4 times and the best accomodation for me is The Alpenhof - just opposite the new village and gondola link to Canyon lodge, best apres bar (clock tower bar) is under the hotel, Burgers restarant next door and the bars/shops of the village opposite.

I stayed at the Alpenhof as a single and found the room tight! On par with a French shoebox!

It's brilliantly convenient though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gamekeeper, Try here http://www.epicski.com/products/mammoth/reviews
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone - now another question - this is our first time ski-ing in the USA and I have heard it is better to buy passes in advance to get discounts - where is the best place to buy them? Can I get them as a package with the accommodation - would someone like Ski Independence or any of the other agents that Snowheads might recommend do them? Similarly, do I get the equipment rental in advance - am used to DIYing everything in France, Austria etc but don't really know where to start in the US.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gamekeeper, Ski independence are a good company and you won't go far wrong sorting it all out with them before you go
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to mammoth last season and had such a good time we're going back again in March. Bought lift passes before we went from Ski Safari - international guests get much better deals booking before they go than getting them in resort.
We flew into Mammoth from LAX, however, it was only when we flew out that we realised how lucky we were with the weather - the airport is small, and being in the mountains gets regularly closed by weather systems. This season we're driving.

Great place, big ski area, and quiet apart from at the weekends
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gamekeeper, I skied with a guide in Tahoe who recommended The Cinnamon Bear in Mammoth but can't tell you more than that!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparkles54, where did you stay and would you rate it? Thanks everyone for the info, very helpful
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy