Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming - suggestions & recommendations sought

Poster: A snowHead
Off to schladming 7th jan & wondering if anyone has any recommendations for mountain restaurants, après ski bars, pistes that must be skied etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Uncle willies hutte for lunch
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the mountain

http://www.schafalm.at/de/index.php
http://www.onkelwillyshuette.at/index_english.html
Harry's Larchenpavillion
http://www.tauernalm.com/de/tauernalm.html
http://www.hoch-alm.at/dhtml/home.php

In town

http://www.tenne.com/schladming/ (crazy massive apres)
The Soul Kitchen (chilled, v cheap beer, asian food)
Winter Garten (good pizza)

Also go to the farmer's market

http://gemeinde.schladming.at/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.detail&evid=684&Itemid=16&year=2011&month=12&day=23&uid=2106436b1565f817fd87ecf4f00911da&lang=en
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slalom piste stay to the far left for full effect.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, some great info, looks as though I've got lunch organised for the week, a slalom course to work it off on & somwhere to drink myself to recovery !!

How are the transport links to other parts of the Ski Amade area ? I had a week in Flachau a few years ago, but it was a v. poor start to the season & a number of areas were closed, so would be tempted to have another look if easily possible.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, Out your hotel across the road and about 20mtrs down - small sports bar-shows everything(and you can have a flutter in the on site bookies) - past that to t-junction cross road a little bit to the right down a few steps to a really cute bar , looks like an offy but the beer is good. As said above Hohnhaustenne at the bottom of the slalom piste rocks from close of play till late and only a quick skip and fall home for you.A few nice spots around the square and the little "umbrella" type bars there are pretty cool also.Only downside was,last year anyway, some were pretty smokey so a turn off for us.

Yodel-eh-hee-hoo!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
briand6868, Thought about a job with the schladming tourist people ? You're good at it ! Seriously, thanks again for more good info -always important to know where the best bars are & it sounds as though the hotel's in a plum spot snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickH, Ta for that, the dream job!!! I just loved the place, had everything I needed and plenty of it, my sons loved it last year also - right mix of testing stuff and comfortable fast cruising too, cheap prices village/hill - couldn't ask for more.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the best and cheapest coffee.....the golden arches at Haus. Sad but true I know, and it does have great views of the Enns valley. Most bars in town are smoky which keeps our drinking curtailed (though a kid does that too). Most cafes and restaurants have no smoking areas now. Papa Joes does a good burger and nice place for a beer, friendly barman. Marias is a decent mexican but busy, just opposite Marias across the car park there is a more austrian restaurant (forget the name) but brews it's own weiss and dunkel beer. The gondola runs until 7:30pm on Wednesday so you can get drunk at the Schaf Alm or Onkel Willys and take lift down or ski though technically you're not supposed to. Every Sunday there's the welcome ski show at the planet planai, starts around 8:30, is pretty good show with, obviously skiing, but also motorbikes, para-gliders, music, fireworks etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos,
Quote:

just opposite Marias across the car park there is a more austrian restaurant (forget the name) but brews it's own weiss and dunkel beer

Schwalbenbräu, has a great big copper and brass brewery in the restaurant. Good food.

Tschuggamuggas bar (turn left out of the Kirchenwirt past the sports bar turn right and cross the road and up a bit on the left) has lots of different beers (Puntigamers good) and is full of football scarves. Have read the owner described as a cross between Renee Artois and Basil Fawlty!

The AQI has a nice quiet modern bar and prices to match.

Angels (special) club, where to spend all your money.

Siglu (end of pedestrian square) apres place that's rammed and noisy till late.

Cabalou (ped. square) Alte Post Hotel's satellite bar.

The Hohenhaustenne opposite Planet Planai can't miss it. If this place does not convert you to the delights of cheesy alpen pop then there is no saving you!

And we did a bit of skiing:

On Hauser Kaibling the Schoarlhütte really good atmosphere and food/

On Reiteralm the Preunegg Stüberl (near bottom of the newish gondola) we found quiet and the Reiteralm Skihütte does good Gröstl with a huge salad.

Planai. There's a little hut on the Lärchkogel that was often quieter than others and good value.

Hochwurzen. Seitehütte was a nice spot whilst waiting for the whiteout to die down.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for that waynos, particularly good to know the best coffee ( though as you say, rather sad that it's from .....) If I'm to try half the bars recommended I'll need it as a heartstarter. Also like the sound of the microbrewery & the chance to apres up the mountain.
Quote:

And we did a bit of skiing:

Really? -When did you have time for that ? an impressive list thanks e.g., did you manage all that in a week ? now very much looking forward to the eating & drinking as well as the skiing snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickH, of course there is also the actual brewery as well, http://www.schladmingerbier.at/index2.html , not sure if you can do the tour in winter though. Free flow beer at the end of the tour... wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen, It just gets better !!!! Away temptation ! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH,yes really! Skiing gets you from the lift to the elevenses hut*, then ski to the next hut for a nice big* Austrian dinner, then beer or a hot* drink on the way home and finally delivers you at your desired apres venue. (*only really applicable on nasty weather days) A couple of bars in that we didn't go in last year (been last two years) and a few I missed.

The bar in the Hotel zum Stadttor, quieter out of the way place not very smokey and good for a chat.

Agree on the Winter Garden for pizza and beer!

Charly Kahr's Planaistub'n, over the road from the slalom piste, so you can watch people come down it.

If everywhere on Hauser Kaibling seems busy the Wellnesshotel Höflehner, bottom left on the map, is a good bet. Short walk back though, so leave your skis on the crest of the hillock.

Cafe Niederl in the pedestrian area does nice pizza and excellent Weizenbier good for dinner on arrival day.

Oh and the ski lockers in/under Planet Planai are great, pay at the kassa and its put on your lift pass which you unlock them with.

Can probably think of a few more things if you like, supermarkets, clubs (special or not!), the best white bits between huts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
e.g., Still an impressive list. !
Sounds like we ski to a similar tune - early start, mid-morning hot chocolate ( with compulsory shot of rum), goulash soup & beer for lunch, gluhwein stop mid arvo, then a number more for apres !!
Going half board this time, so it's the bars & huts that I'm interested in (& am sadly a little old for the club scene ). Would be interested in your 'best white bits between huts' thoughts
latest report
Dr John wrote:
Uncle willies hutte for lunch

I can second that... had some lovely pork there.
ski holidays
Scarpa, it's Definitely top of my lunch stop list !
ski holidays
Quote:

The Hohenhaustenne opposite Planet Planai can't miss it. If this place does not convert you to the delights of cheesy alpen pop then there is no saving you!

Who could forget Buddy 'live' at the Tenne.
latest report
waynos.....

Quote:

just opposite Marias across the car park there is a more austrian restaurant (forget the name) but brews it's own weiss and dunkel beer.

why the effness have you only bothered to jnform me of this now...
and shouldn't the barman at papa's be part owner in a 100* michelin restaurant by now??...
ski holidays
flangesax, he still insist he's off to oz.
latest report
flangesax, If you fancy checking out the Weiss & dunkel why not not pop over whilst I'm in town (7th -14th). - first pint on me !
snow report
nickH, free beer, can I come, I'll keep flangesax, under control for you.
ski holidays
waynos, Sounds like a party !!! Happy to meet any fellow s/h for a beer ( though can't promise to pay for more than the first !) snowHead
snow conditions
nickH, Are guests invited too? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Hamish MacTavish,
Quote:

Trying to forget Buddy 'live' at the Tenne.

Fixed it for you.

nickH
Early starts I've heard of those! Now some white bits between mountain cafes.

From the top of the Planai blue 8 to the 8 man chair is nice gentle warm up, or red 9 for something steeper. Red 1 the Klangpiste is a good longish red and red 12 Schön piste is beautiful! Black 3 the slalom slope is well worth the effort and the bottom bit is floodlight, can be carnage though. Red 6 from which you take the lift down to Hochwurzen is nicely varied but can be icy at the bottom.

The reds from the top of Hochwurzen are good and red 40 down to towards Reiteralm is long, but flat at the bottom keep up some speed. Piste 37 down through Rohrmoos is nice and wide so you can avoid the ski school groups and the red option at the bottom is a much better exit off the berg than the narrow blue alternative.

Hauser Kaibling. We liked red 2a and black 1a the womens downhill course, which is often empty maybe as it's a black, stay right at the bottom to get back to the gondola. Blue 4 is surprisingly good and takes you past the Schoarlhütte so can only be a good thing. Black 7 at the top we found not quite mogulled but with piles of lumpy snow everywhere and is sometimes shut by wind. Blue 6 takes you back towards the Planai has a surprise little icy black bit at the bottom.

Reiteralm, I think my favourite mountain of the four has a horrible blue road with red bits back down to the Basic Jet lift back to Hochwurzen. The rest of it is great though. Red 5 by the Pruenegg Jet (new gondola with heated leather seats!) was brilliant as we only saw two other people on it. Red 1 from top is good but busier. The world cup run black 3a has a genuinely steep bit, the sort you stop and look down first. That followed by red 3 and red 1a in the fading light was the last run of the week one year and great way to end.

The Dachstein glacier is great for views but not piste skiing unless you like flat blues, it is a glacier, and some mountaineering back up to the cable car station. The ski route from the bottom to Ramsau was fun though, finding our way and startling walkers coming the other way.
latest report
nickH, the Schwalbenbräu is mostly a restaurant, we had no probs getting a table to drink though and it shuts early by Austrian standards.
snow report
geepee, Of course, if you're in town - come to that, if you're anywhere on the same mountain ! second round's on you though snowHead

e.g., I'm seriously impressed by your knowledge of the place, particularly how much you can remember after so many food & grog stops - I'd be sliding the mountain in a bloated daze with little idea of where I'd been & even less of where I was going ( mind you age could play an hand in that, but I'm in denial !!). Not being up to date with small mobile data storage stuff I'll be travelling around with a ring binder full of printouts of suggestions from this posting Laughing

waynos, flangesax, geepee, Let me know if you're up for a beer

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 22-12-11 21:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
nickH, well we'll see how my recollections match up to your experiences when you report back Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks e.g., will ' work ' hard not to disappoint snowHead
snow report
For those with android phones or those apple things there are 2 mobile apps for the area available now, "Schladming Dachstein Info" (my friend did the English for this) and "ski amade guide" app. The first one has list of bars and cafes etc. The amade one has piste maps, gps features, weather etc. Not used either much yet but seem like a bit of fun.
ski holidays
there's plenty of places to visit in schladming, schafalm on the mountain is my favourite! I'm living in schladming at the moment and ski guiding so i can show you around the mountains if you like, and when it comes to apres ski i also operate a bar crawl! Check it out www.brilliantsnow.com
latest report
nickH,
Firstly Thanks for putting up your post on Schladming, it generated brilliant responses - we're going next week so whilst we're now armed with a Snowhead wisdom ..... as though we've been there a dozen times before , I would appreciate any feedback from your trip on whats currently good, piste-wise and , perhaps more importantly, pub-wise!
latest report
Thirsty, there's another thread somewhere that says nickH is in Saalbach after Schladming for their second week-. So you may not get a response in time.
snow report
e.g.,

Thanks for that - I think we have enough 'wisdom' to keep us amused for 7 days.
ski holidays
Hey Thirsty, I'm off to Schladming (for the first time) on Saturday. Looking forward to it.
snow conditions
Sophster
As far as us 4 old gits are concerned, its fair to say that we are potentially thrilled by reports of 15ft snow drifts everywhere, skiers requiring excavation out of Zermatt airport, and on the practical side wondering whether my Orville The Duck hot water bottle is going to be fit for purpose!!
The other 3 blokes I'm going with are much younger than me so theyll be gagging to go to some of the previously recommended establishments, such as Uncle Willys and Schfalm not to mention Angels.... but whats caught my eye is the Prune -egg Jet Gondola with HEATED SEATS!!!!!!
Also whats calling out to all of us is one of this planets natural cultural highs namely the Wednesday afternoon frollick at Tennes with the 'Bobbin Baboons' (I kid you not) ... dancing about on semi-frozen lager-drenched tables in ski boots what could possibly go wrong????
Hope to see you there..
ski holidays
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STOP PRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

News has filtered down to yours truly that the Bobbin Baboons are actually on today and not next week when myself and ‘Les Mis’ are there!!
Sorry for any unexpected rush – adrenaline or otherwise – next Wednesdays virtuoso of jollity is Die Dorfrocker , Welsh at a guess…
snow report
Trying to say Die Dorfrocker after a few beers might be interesting.

I have a feeling this holiday will be quite an eye opener for me. I've always been to quiet family resorts, often just me and my boyfriend. This time it's me and 4 or 5 old blokes and legendary Austrian Apres Ski. Last time my boyfriend skied in Austria with his dad and the rest of next weeks crew, most nights ended up as 'Don't tell your mother about this!' Shocked
ski holidays
Thirsty, there's another venue like Angels and for the week of the night race one more opens up in the town hall. Plus two ordinary clubs.
sophster, the Hohenhaus Tenne is so big it attracts most of the action. Other parts of town are quite quiet.
snow conditions
Only one and a bit more sleeps until Schladming (the 'a bit' is because I'm on the 6am which means a very antisocially early check in). Excitement levels are just about at maximum.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy