Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Val d'Isere - 3 chalets crushed - unconfirmed report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just had a text from my daughter working in Tignes.....

"Oh my god poo-poo has hit the fan, resort closed, avalanche in Val has just crushed 3 chalets, roads grid locked, manager can't get down mountain to get any of the stuff we still need and none of our food can be delivered! About to run round resort trying to find food for tonight! Snow is getting so high. Managers say they have never seen anything like it! Just heard main road not open till 10 tomorrow morning"

I can't see any mention of the avalanche in Val - could well be Chinese whispers etc - hope so!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam, nothing on Le Dauphiné either where they are reporting an avalanche on the Lauteret.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i know the road is shut and it is chucking down snow but not heard anything about any avalanche
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh dear God. I do hope that everyone stays safe through all of this.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my guess is either rumour or if not then new-ish chalets at le fornet. Anyway hope no one is hurt.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Found a mention of avalanches in Val here but not involving any buildings
http://www.alpineexperience.com/waynes-daily-diary/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just spoken to my mate, a guide in La Grave - he described the conditions as horrific, and with the strong winds it will get worse, in his words " you don't want to be in a car around here at the moment" and he did not know about the avalanche on the Lauteret that Hells Bells mentioned above - so he sort of knows what he's talking about!

He often does the "commission" which is when the local guides go up in the telepherique up La Meije early in the morning to assess the conditions then ski down both the main routes, Chancal & Vallons then meet up once down to determine whether it should open or not - needless to say, tomorrow he's having a lie in!

Further Edit: Just spoken to my daughter, she's texted her mate who is in Val and they are not allowed out as it's so dangerous - latest rumour is that it was pisteurs whilst blasting that caused the avalanche on to two chalets.

No doubt will change again........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as I've said elsewhere, road poo-poo between les Boisses and Le Lavachet in Tignes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is not completely unknown. Think the last was 2003 that walking round Val was restricted due avalanche danger.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
here in Val d'Isere right now. Have been living here for several Winters now and last time I remember it like this was Demember 2008 - then it was a shorter and even more intense snow fall.

The facts as I am aware - chatting to mates and listening to the local radio, speaking to a pisteur I know here etc etc etc.

a) the road is NOT closed and is open - they will make the call at 10pm tonight whether to close the road overnight. Everyone that has the correct chains etc has been able to get in and out of Val d'Isere today.
b) pisteur triggered slides have come down but this is all control work... some parts of town some of the 'excess' purge has reached but I have not heard about chalets being crushed or anything like that.
c) conditions are still VERY (100mph) windy and the amount of snow in the last 48 hours must be way over a metre I am guessing.
d) the peda as they call it when emergency management techniques are implemented and for example you cannot go outside at certain times is used on average twice a season I would say when there are high winds and snow so it was certainly not 2003 that you were last restricted to walking around Val.
e) the fornet, chatelard and other outlying areas of Val are definitely cut for for pedestrians and cars at the moment and that has been the case all day.

This storm is DEFINITELY a big one and one to look back on in the future as 'were you there when' but all is under control as far as I am aware.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Angus, Thanks Steve, helpful.

I very definitely didn't know the "peda" was invoked so frequently. Intrresting.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
surely you mean PIDA, it is in operation throughout the winter.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sorry davidof sp mistake (and I suppose CAPS lock mistake). Yes PIDA (Plan d'Intervention pour le Déclenchement des Avalanches)... it is the agreed town plans agreed / executed by the pisteurs on the directions of the Mayors office. Local history, topography, the weather etc all go into deciding what to do when the heavens open!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy