Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Manchester

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so it's snowing and I really want to ski! I'm quite new to the North West so I have no idea what may be skiable around here. Thought about driving up to Raise but it's really a bit far and expensive once you add together petrol/season pass/lift ticket. I'm looking for somewhere close-ish to Manchester where I may be able to ski tomorrow/Sunday. I don't mind a fairly long hike! Anyone have any suggestions on hills it may be worth hiking?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Way to Easy!!

http://www.chillfactore.com/plan-visit/directions

Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've absolutely no idea what it's like to ski, but I'd have thought that if you cannot find a line or three on Kinder Scout or Mam Tor that you're doing something wrong. No idea about access, no idea about permissions/practicality - though Kinder was the site of the mass trespass and Right To Roam must make things easier these days.

(I was brought up in Manchester (in the days before I could ski) but these days am stuck in the south.)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh no, I am heartily sick of Chillfactore - need some fresh air (and fewer gapers). Thanks for the Kinder tip, had thought of heading to Edale. Anyone actually skied there before? Would welcome feedback.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Google:

"kinder scout" skiing

or

"mam tor" skiing

Plenty of people claim to have. "Mam Tor like a mini ski resort." Even some hits on Snowheads. Now you've left me feeling *really* out of it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James the Last, You will need a lot more snow than is forecast to be able to ski in the peaks that far south. Its way too rocky. Even after the snowpocalypse we had last winter where 60 cms fell in a week I don't think you would have been able ski Mam Tor or Kinder.

(and getting there would be a nightmare from Manchester as they tend to close the roads that cross the peaks when it snows)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or even Woodhead:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59903
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If there's enough snow, there's sometimes a tow in Hayfield.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=245429534279

Failing that there's "another world" in Halifax
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59294
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rossendale dry slope?

I'm out of the country so not sure what the snow is like, but we had a fun day out there a few weeks ago.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flet©h wrote:
James the Last, You will need a lot more snow than is forecast to be able to ski in the peaks that far south. Its way too rocky. Even after the snowpocalypse we had last winter where 60 cms fell in a week I don't think you would have been able ski Mam Tor or Kinder.

Are you Scottish or something even more cheerful? Aha! A Yorkshireman. Cool

Some of those parts are such smooth grass, from what I recall, that you can probably ski them with just a bit of rain let alone snow...

Plenty of people around on the net who have been to both those places I can see. And I'm sure OP will have as much fun whether or not he actually gets his skis out of the car!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=340734 "there are no rocks so it can be done in thin cover"

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/peak-district-skiing-and-snowboarding-never-got-this-good
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sianski, I used to be a member of Rossendale Ski Club based at Rossendale dry slope about 30mins north of Manchester, not sure whether or not either are still operating, but the club had a portable tow that they took out on location if it had snowed enough.
The artificial slope, normally rubbish as with most plastic hills, was o.k. with snow on it. It use to have a button drag lift.
There also used to be some people in Chapel-en-le Frith Derbyshire who had a portable tow that they took out to the hillsides close to the Sheffield road there. However, I haven't a clue how you find them other than try Googling- "Chapel-en-le-Frith portable ski tow"!
Flet©h, is probably right in stating that you will need good snow cover to make it feasible. Anyway, no harm in fact finding just in case there is a big dump later on!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Im from Manchester, if you find anywhere then give me a shout. Would love to give it a go. What about Rivington Pike (Winter Hill). Thats all grass and some food steep slopes as well.?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had quite a bit of snow in the Lakes today, It's meant to be cold over the weekend and get much milder on next week so I reckon a trip up here would be worth the effort. I'll be mountain biking around the area tomorrow so can judge it better then but I plan a hike and slide on Sunday. I reckon you could drive door to mountain in 2 hours easy enough? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grizwald, Ive done Manchester to Bowness in 1hr exact, mind you, i wasnt hanging about!!! Whats yad Moss looking like, worth the trip?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The snow at this end of the Lakes (I'm currently near Keswick) is looking good on the hills and judging by the most recent photos (http://www.www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150429510896434&set=o.289760017613&type=1&theater) I would say that Raise may be a good place to ski this weekend weather dependant. I can get to Manchester from here in 2hrs and its a journey I do regularly so I suppose it depends how much you want to ski NehNeh
ski holidays
Thanks so much for all the feedback. Had never even heard of the place in Halifax, or the sometime rope tow in Hayfield. Think the weather is meant to be fairly clear on Sunday so will try to head out somewhere then. @Grizwald, let me know if you have any suggestions for places in the lakes that are more south lakes than north. Otherwise I guess I will just try to find somewhere in the Peaks where there's still snow, not slush or ice. Will be trying to drag my partner along but also open to going with others, especially if you have suggestions for locations Smile @davidthornton, Rawtenstall ski slope is still there so I may check if they have a covering of snow.
latest report
http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/

Think they might actually have snow (tomorrow morning at least)
latest report
Yep covering of snow at skirossendale today
latest report
The last three years I have found decent skiing in the Edale valley, I'd recommend getting the train in from Manchester, much more reliable than driving when snowy.

Grindslow Knoll, the base of which is 1/4 mile north of the Station, seems to collect snow the best. It has a big depression in the hillside running all the way down which fills up nicely with snow. It is also pretty steep so well worth doing. Should be easy to spot as will can often be the one snowfilled line.

Lose Hill, slightly further down the valley on the other side is nice and steep, sheltered and grassy and consequently can offer pretty good skiing, 200m vertical drop as well if its snow down to the valley floor. Other than that it just seems to be a case of f turn up and see whats filled. Not done them but the gulleys leading down into Winnats pass are regarded as the ultimate in steep Peak District skiing.

I'm nowhere near there at the moment but get the impression from my family in Buxton that there is probably not enough snow to ski. Will only be a goer if the snow has been accompanied by fairly strong winds to fill in the gulleys.

Have fun, I'm hoping to get up to the Edale valley for a ski at some point this year so will post in this thread when I do, always nice to have partners, although when the conditions are really good you can just roll up and the place will be full of skiers.
snow conditions

This is Grindslow Knoll taken from the pub next near the station. I'm the small black dot just above the wall. (the pub further up from the train station is a much better pub though)

The wall at the bottom though is complete pain in the a*se, without it you could ski all the way out
ski holidays
rambotion, Who's idea was that? Building a wall across a ski slope!! Puzzled
ski holidays
davidthornton wrote:
rambotion, Who's idea was that? Building a wall across a ski slope!! Puzzled

Use your shovel, fill in the hole and you've got a jump too!
ski holidays
Sianski, Depends how much you like a hike. I was up in Whinlatter this morning and Skidaw is looking very white it's more of a steep walk than a hike, I reckon there 'should' be an OK base on most of the higher peaks as it snowed a couple of weeks ago and this hasn't shifted higher up when it snowed yesterday-otherwise you have the problem of sinking right down to grass or rock. RE the South Lakes they're obviously lower than the north plus I don't know the hills as well.

If you're going to come up and just hike the nearest white looking hill be careful, just because the mountains are relatively small/low they still deserve respect-weather can change quickly etc althouhg it's cold dry and sunny today and should be more of the same tomorrow.
ski holidays
I'm contemplating the 600 mile drive from Manchester to Nevis Range to ski Sunday.
If you fancy it then email me quick on sacoon at yahoo.com
ski holidays
Hi, my first post here. I just found this forum by searching Google for 'Mam Tor ski'.
I was considering taking the train to Edale if it snowed & having a go, so I was interested to see if anyone else was as crazy/inventive/stupid, etc
Grinslow Knoll looks a decent run, shame about the wall.
My local 'piste' has the minor disadvantage of having a stile halfway down, which on skis, does make things interesting to say the least .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy