Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could some kind :sH: please translate?

Poster: A snowHead
we know what bits and pieces mean, but we'd like to know what we'd be getting if we book this meal for Christmas Eve, thanks in advance

APERITIF ALPENROSE - MISE EN BOUCHE

TERRINE DE PIGEON AUX GRIOTTES ET AU BLOC DE FOIE GRAS DE CANARD

FEUILLETE DE SAINT JACQUES AU MUSCADET

TOURNEDOS DE MAGRET DE CANARD
SAUCE GIROLLES
GRATIN DE POMMES DE TERRE
FAGOTS D’ASPERGES VERTES BARDEES
A LA POITRINE DE PORC FUMEE

FEUILLES DE CHÊNE A L’HUILE D’OLIVE
EN ACCOMPAGNEMENT DE TROIS FROMAGES DE NOTRE SAVOIE

CAMELIA AGRUMES AUX FRUITS ROUGES

CAFE ET MACARONS
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
partially translated (google) but don't count too much on it.

APERITIF ALPENROSE - PLACEMENT

TERRINE with cherries PIGEON AND foie Gras

PUFF OF SANTIAGO TO MUSCADET

TOURNEDOS DUCK BREAST
SAUCE GIROLLES
GRATIN POTATOES
GREEN ASPARAGUS bristling bundle of
THE smoked pork belly

OAK LEAVES TO THE OLIVE OIL
IN SUPPORT OF OUR THREE CHEESE SAVOIE

CAMELIA CITRUS FRUIT RED

COFFEE AND BUTTONS
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bon Appetit!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mag1882 wrote:
partially translated (google) but don't count too much on it.

thanks, had already tried that and babel fish, ideally someone with a good level of French will let us know what it means.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aperitif Alpenrose (which could be anything) - with nibbles (ditto)

Terrine of pigeon, with sour cherries and duck liver foie gras

Scallops in pastry with muscadet

'Tournedos' of duck breast (grilled, I guess)
Mushroom (chanterelle) sauce
Potato gratin
Asparagus bundles with belly of pork

Oak leaf lettuce with olive oil to accompany 3 Savoie cheeses

A'camelia' (their fancy name for a pud) of citrus and red fruits

Coffee and macaroons
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I was looking at the menu my 20yr old 16+ French would tell me:

APERITIF ALPENROSE - MISE EN BOUCHE - A speciality aperitif of your AlpenRose hotel

TERRINE DE PIGEON AUX GRIOTTES ET AU BLOC DE FOIE GRAS DE CANARD - a terrine of pigeon with griottes (don't know this one might be some sort of nut), and a piece of duck pate (fattened duck liver)

FEUILLETE DE SAINT JACQUES AU MUSCADET - haven't got a clue, but it sounds like a piece of pastry in the style of St Jacques with Muscadet wine

TOURNEDOS DE MAGRET DE CANARD - this is little duck 'steaks' probably the breast fillets)
SAUCE GIROLLES - sauce girolles!!
GRATIN DE POMMES DE TERRE - Potato gratin
FAGOTS D’ASPERGES VERTES BARDEES - parcels of asparagus and guessing at green French beans
A LA POITRINE DE PORC FUMEE - something to do with smoked pork - could be fancy bacon!!

FEUILLES DE CHÊNE A L’HUILE D’OLIVE - haven't a clue, possibly pastry with Olive Oil
EN ACCOMPAGNEMENT DE TROIS FROMAGES DE NOTRE SAVOIE - accompanied by three cheeses of the region

CAMELIA AGRUMES AUX FRUITS ROUGES - something with red fruits - possibly a white gelled milk based dish with red fruits

CAFE ET MACARONS - coffee and macaroons (light Almond nibbles).

I'll be interested to learn the missing items when a native French speaker gets hold of it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Standee, Is it the 'Girolles' that you're worried about? If so don't be, the Girolle is a small alpine mammal, about the size of a Marmot, and although they're not what one might call handsome they're very tasty - a bit like chicken.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, erm, possibly one or two more lessons required. wink
red 27, Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, So Girolles are Chanterelles?
Feuillete are scallops?
Feuilles de chene is an oak leak lettuce? Which word is lettuce?

LOL - I probably wouldn't starve in France, but I may end up with some interesting meals Ha, Ha, Ha

I often wonder if I should take some more French - I've always liked the notion of being able to converse in a different language, but don't have more than rudimentary knowledge. I've probably got more French than anything, I can be polite in German, and don't for any reason dump me in Italy Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
surely chanterelles are just chanterelles?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry my German is not too hot!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well the St Jaques are scallops, and they'll be in a little puff pastry thing of some sort

chene is a lettuce in this context, otherwise an oak tree - oak leaf - with cheese. No pastry in sight.

No idea what camelia is in this context, but agrumes are citrus - I wouldn't have thought any milk would be involved.

griottes are morello style cherries.

Sounds a nice meal! But only if you like very underdone duck, I suspect.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum,
Quote:

Girolles are Chanterelles?
Yep, the same

Quote:

Feuillete are scallops
No, coquilles St Jacques (St Jacques for short, in this instance) are scallops. A feuilleté is a dish which involves pastry (usually puff pastry)

Quote:

Feuilles de chene is an oak leak lettuce? Which word is lettuce?
None, it means oak leaves, again an abbreviation
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
had a phone call in the middle of that - pedantica is much more authoritative than I. But if your idea of duck is a chinese style shredded effort, maybe it's not for you
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mmmm...........I think I like griottes then - I love morello cherries esp. with Duck!
snow report
Nice rare magret de canard is one of my particular favourites
ski holidays
Pedantica, Ah.............so I was right about the feuillete being connected in some way to pastry, I had a suspicion that it was a light fluffy 'puff' pastry style thing. I'm sure I seen a sweet puff pastry dish linked to the term in the past.

Coquilles St Jacques as Scallops would make sense - there would be quite a link up with Cockles - the English word for that specific small clam. Scallops being part of the same family. Yummy! I like scallops too. [wonders]I wonder if the OP needs an additional guest [/wonders] LOL
ski holidays
And all this in Hull!

http://youtube.com/v/atP0od7vFjM
snow conditions
I'm in!

Sounds like a nice well balanced meal. Very Happy
latest report
thanks folks;
Duck and Scallops are two of our favourites, so we're in!
ski holidays
FAGOTS

teeehhheeeeeehheeeeeheeeeehheeehheeeeheee
ski holidays
barry, a fagot is either a minced meat ball made from offal, or a bundle of sticks typically for a fire - not what you think and are laughing about - I promise it was the other two descriptions first rolling eyes
latest report
Megamum, my granny used to call us kids "thundering faggots" when we were small and being naughty, can you imagine her shouting that at young uns today Laughing
snow report
Fagots followed by Spotted dick, a traditional English dinner Laughing
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Yes, and delicious too. There is a pork butchers in Chelmsford that does the most wonderful traditionally made fagots.
snow report
Quote:

a minced meat ball made from offal

i think those are faggots, rather than fagots. In both English and French fagots are bundles of firewood? Or asparagus?
snow conditions
pam w, yup, its the "bundle" I reckon - the tie of asparagus together or sticks etc
latest report
Definitely - all cut to the same height and tied up with some chives, or something like that. And larded with pork belly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, brilliant Very Happy
latest report
I'm hungry...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy