Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Length for rockered skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about buying Stöckli Stormrider 95s, slightly rockered all-mountain skis. I'm a light female (174 cm, under 60 kg) and the terrain I'm going to encounter is probably going to be trees, stones, treestumps etc. rather than "open" soft snow. So I'm thinking 166 cm. But. How much difference does that slight rocker make, should I got with 174 cm? My other skis range from 164 cm (Stöckli Spirit Globe) to 174 cm (Atomic GS 11). I like my (or actually friend's) Atomics and 170 cm Stöckli Laser SXs, but both are definitely skis for empty groomers as I need to ski them quite fast for them to work.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Salomon rep at the PSB said "above your head" for twin tips (meaning with you, and them, stood on the ground), "just under your chin" for racing/gs skis.

It should be possible to find out the skiable edge of the all mountain ski with some googling, I imagine you'd want it to be about 145 - 150, and that depending on the tip length (my meaning being - the parts that won't engage unless you're on max lean, or in deep snow), some 170s (absolute tip to absolute tail) might be about right. Depends alot on flavour of ski/design.

Can you not demo some on a snowHead bash or by special request to a ski shop? I've demo'd lots recently and I found length to be quite unrelated to the experience of each!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JaMMi, Just under your chin for racing /GS skis? I rather think not!

Skise, Sounds like you ski quite " light" - if you can't try before you buy I'd think 174 would just make life more difficult. But really, how much difference does 8cm make?

Best to test first I'd say, if you can.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skise,

Why Stormriders? I'd imagine at your weight they will also be a lot of work.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS - I don't really know what I'm talking about Wink just a keen amateur who's been on the review sites/done a bit of demo-ing. 'Should probably say that since you might put money up for these...

PPS - under a new name, I don't mean proper GS skis... I mean the recreational carvers that (out of the bracket of recreational skis; carvers, all mountain, pow-prioritised) would be called "the race/GS style" ones. Salomon 3V for example, which I loved. Salomon rep called them race type and said just under chin and they skied fantastically for short, medium and long carves; super fun and really fast/responsive; stable at speed too. I agree proper, hardcore race skis would be longer, perhaps much longer, but I think my info's solid, especially for the lighter peeps... Non?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately I can't demo, I'm just trusting the fact that I love my other Stöcklis Madeye-Smiley There is only one place to demo Stöcklis here in Finland and they don't have snow Evil or Very Mad We do. I generally like skis that need some skiing, that's why my Laser SXs are 170 cm although 162 cm probably would be the "right length" for me.

I can imagine skiing SL-type skis at about 160 cm (actually I have a pair, I just never ski them), just under my chin would mean a bit shorter. But not GS skis, however "recreational".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skise,

Building up the speed on a hard piste to bend the skis is one thing but how do you do that offpiste in the trees? The Stormrider has two sheets of metal that's a lot for 60 kg to bend.

I picked up a much longer stiffer ski than I'm used to on ebay for a song once. By lunchtime the first day I was knackered. Offpiste through the trees was hard work like driving a 16 wheeler, there wasn't a great float advantage either.

http://www.epicski.com/t/102688/reviews-2012-stockli-stormrider-95-current-2012-vxl-cx-lxl-and-spirit-motion

I'd point you in the direction of something like the Stöckli LXL or Kästle LX 82. (see above review)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gonna add my 50p worth but as I havn't fondled that model of ski ITS AN EDUCATED GUESS! Usually hate people just doing this on forums ... (sigh) but I'm going to do it now!

If (as I suspect) the ski just has a very small amount of early rise then it will make very little noticable difference to how long it feels, ie Salomon Lord, K2 piste range type "rocker." You'll only notice a little better turn initiation (if you're sensitive to how your ski reacts) on piste and little but marginally better float in crud and bc conditions.

If there's a more protracted rocker, ie our Ragnaok for tip rise or Director for twin rise, then you should look at upsizing to gain an equal "length" feel to a conventionally cambered ski, check out the WDF website for rocker profile shots if you want to compare to the Stockli.

As allways any q's then fire them over but hope this helps, PJ
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just had a quick peekie online and come up with this vid which shows the rocker profile

http://www.zapiks.com/presentation-du-stormrider-9-1.html

looks like a genuine "early rise" tip...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skise wrote:
I'm a light female (174 cm, under 60 kg) and the terrain I'm going to encounter is probably going to be trees, stones, treestumps etc. rather than "open" soft snow.

I'd go quite short in that case. I would have thought 166 would be more than adequate for your weight. As you already have other skis for charging around high speed pistes, why bother compromising with these?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skise, have a look at the kastle bmx range , no metal and a really maneoverable ski snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JaMMi, Ah OK then, yes that's about right. My old not-real-race-skis for piste skiing are chin height.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, these are probably the last days of this season. I´ve been very happy with my 166 cm Stormriders but because of my knee issues they have seen less action than I had hoped. A true all-mountain ski, if I could only have one pair of skis this would be it Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fischer have a new ski out next season that has a switch that will enable you to change between rockered or full camber. Might be worth a look. Having said that, they don't have an adjustable length... wink

http://skiingbusiness.com/11982/products/one-ski-two-camber-profiles/

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy