Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone (without injury) wear a knee brace?

Poster: A snowHead
I guess a lot of people that have previously injured their knee - eg fully torn ACLs, partially torn ACLs, ACL reconstructions - will wear a knee brace whilst skiing.

But does anyone here who has NEVER had an injury wear a knee brace, ie for primary prevention?

It seems that more and more people are wearing helmets now for primary prevention of head injuries, and in other sports such as motorcross and American football, more and more people are wearing knee braces for primary prevention of knee injuries too.

But in skiing, where statistically by far the greatest injury that will end a ski holiday is a knee injury, I have seen very few people that have had no previous injury wear a knee brace. Is it because the evidence that whether knee bracing actually prevents injury is still non-conclusive, or simply because it is not promoted, or is it just not fashionable?

Any views and experiences from the snowheads much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm tempted to get some for this year's trip, despite not having proper knee problems. My mate wears them on both knees despite only having problems in one and seems to think they're good.

Would be interested to hear other people's opinions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear light hinged neoprene knee braces when skiing or trekking. No injuries, no arthritis, no nothing but my knees are also not totally ok.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do, i had a knee operation 15 years ago, and was told by the surgeon to where a knee brace if i ski'd, so i do on the left knee that was operated on, i also wear one on the other knee, this is because my sister in law did her ACL in Flaine in 2007 and her surgeon said if you wear knee braces you MAY REDUCE the risk of doing an ACL ( NOTE MAY REDUCE ).

I suppose this will start the same argument as should i wear a helmet rolling eyes

My view is "Its a free world, do what you feel is right for you"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skise wrote:
No injuries, no arthritis, no nothing but my knees are also not totally ok.
Curious to know what you mean by not totally OK - do you mean you have quite lax joints and your knees always feel a bit unstable?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timbobaggins, I agree the argument could well turn into a helmet argument, which I would not want to. As you say, we are all autonomous adults and choosing what protection we wear when doing any activity (!) is our own choice.

I guess your decision to protect your normal right knee was partially affected by your injury to the left knee though. Or maybe it just looks better to go out with a symmetrical pair of braced knees?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bum,

Funny really, i only used to wear a brace on the dodgy knee, but i found i was getting pain in the good knee, so after wearing a brace on both i find i do not suffer pain anymore, i suppose my good knee was over compensating.

My sister in law also now wears two knee braces,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I watched one of the En Route videos the other day and noticed that both Mr. Eric Pollard and Mr. Andy Mahre were both wearing braces on their biscuits. To my knowledge, neither has suffered a serious knee injury so I did wonder if this might be a preventative measure.

Timbobaggins, are they comfortable? I get quite unpleasant patella tendonitis so anything to provide greater support probably isn't a bad idea.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I wear braces on both knees even though I've never had surgery. For some reason skiing is the only sport I do that makes them ache. One knee is worse than the other as well, so one of them is hinged.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bum, I've just got myself a ski mojo. Nothing wrong with my knees as such (they click a bit) but I have cramping problems with my calves etc. The mojo has helped take the strain off my knees, my calves, my thighs and in general, everything. It supports, it aids and it allows me to ski without pain and with less effort. Not quite what you asked, but it may be worth considering.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I damaged my ligaments badly a few years ago and have worn a brace over the last few seasons. However I decided this year not to as I believe the body should not be supported unless it really needs it. I think otherwise you weaken your natural strenght and before you know it you will become totally reliant.

Not sure if that is based on sound biological reasoning or idealism, but that would be my approach.

If it aint broke dont fix it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wearing a brace will probably give some sense of protection and will keep the joints warm so a little more mobile, BUT it could make you reliant on having the support there when you don't need it

ski mojo possibly if it is a stress from joints relief that you want
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have had two surgeons tell me I need an op for patella tendonitis so I wear a neoprene brace with a patella 'ring' to keep my patella stable. It won't do anything for the problem but I feel it helps reduce the pain and keeps the knee warm which is important. Seems to work!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, I see that you're now selling mojos. I'm not sure how the sizing works, but do you have any for midgets? If so, I'm seriously thinking of paying you a visit sometime during the first week of January (assuming you're open for business that week).
A subsidiary question: do you think the non-hinged neoprene supports, of the sort sold in Boots for around £17, are any use at all? As you say, they're supposed to keep the joints warm, but in theory so do compression tights, which I already wear for exercise of any kind.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RattytheSnowRat, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
Pedantica, on the mojos it is weight rather than size silver and gold i am guessing you will need a silver as that is the lighter spring, we are open form the 3rd, just give us a quick call and we can book you a slot in the diary so we can spend time with you discussing /fitting said device

yep the neoprene supports are really just for warmth and a little confidence
ski holidays
CEM, thanks!
latest report
bum wrote:
Skise wrote:
No injuries, no arthritis, no nothing but my knees are also not totally ok.
Curious to know what you mean by not totally OK - do you mean you have quite lax joints and your knees always feel a bit unstable?

No unstability, just pain. I've been getting pain in my knees since I was about 10 yo (I'm 35 now) but no doctor has ever found anything wrong with them. I just had a cortisone injection in my left knee a few weeks ago because of persistent swelling that was limiting movement and now the right one is slightly swollen. But they kind of like skiing, after two days of skiing the swelling in my left knee was a lot less than after 4 days of doing nothing. Although the doctor was not happy about skiing with a swollen knee...
latest report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I have had two surgeons tell me I need an op for patella tendonitis so I wear a neoprene brace with a patella 'ring' to keep my patella stable. It won't do anything for the problem but I feel it helps reduce the pain and keeps the knee warm which is important. Seems to work!

I had the same problem last year. I tried the support straps/bands and didn't have much luck(irritation post exercise) but since then I have been using kinesio tape (with the method in the video below)

http://youtube.com/v/N8lWTQsMKJo

some other things that helped were 'foam rolling' (especially the 'IT band' and quadriceps)

http://youtube.com/v/On1u8Kifzfo

Here are the exercises I did to help with rehab:

http://youtube.com/v/wY98htXP0O4

and the 2nd exercise in this video:

http://youtube.com/v/L2z5d_BOlxI

all of the above helped me to the point where my knees feel great. I just exercise caution with training volume.

Ofcourse every injury is different but I hope that the above
may be of some help. I hope that the above embed ok
ski holidays
I've often wondered the same as the OP for the same reasons - I would prefer to prevent a possible injury if I could and if the wearing of a knee brace would help to prevent injury then I would wear one. However, I have heard the argument that CEM presents regarding possible reliance on it and so far have not started to wear one. However, as an alternative I've started wearing tight compression style leggings under my salopettes. They keep my whole leg - joints and muscles warm, and feel really supportive and I think they are a good compromise and, of course being full length, they don't bunch and crease uncomfortably around the knee area.
latest report
Timbobaggins, are they comfortable? I get quite unpleasant patella tendonitis so anything to provide greater support probably isn't a bad idea.[/quote]

A couple of these and not too bad to wear

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hinged-Knee-Stabiliser-/120779779533?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&var=&hash=item61cca10e14
snow report
Isn't it a really bad thing to wear a knee brace if you don't need it? As it makes your knee reliant on the knee brace? SO then when you don't have it on it compromises the strength of the knee?
snow conditions
OK what braces do people use. I use a pair of massive Ossurs. They keep the knees runnning true and protect from excessive side forces.

Since I have almost no calf muscle on the left leg the brace can slip down and become uncomfortable. I keep it up with strapping.

John
latest report
I wouldn't use any kind of brace unless necessary - if you exert enough force, it will do damage somewhere - I think a lot of the reason knee injuries are so common skiing is that the ankles are immobilised in the boots! Also you do tend to get reliant on them, and if you've not got it on (probably apres ski, messing around bum sledging or similar) you'll be more likely to injury yourself!
snow report
In the past I have torn (grade 3 minimum, at separate times):

Lateral Collateral ligament
Medial collateral ligament
ACL

Along with cartilage damage and patella tendinitis.

No brace, just great rehab and plenty of strengthening.
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:
Isn't it a really bad thing to wear a knee brace if you don't need it? As it makes your knee reliant on the knee brace? SO then when you don't have it on it compromises the strength of the knee?

I would guess that although I use knee braces while skiing and trekking there is a possibility that I could train my "knees" without braces wink But I was planning to ask the sports physiotherapist next week if knee braces while skiing (skiing doesn't irritate my knees, trekking does) is beneficial (yes, no, maybe, doesn't matter...)
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
Isn't that similar to asking 'isn't it a really bad thing to wear a seat belt whilst driving if you don't need it?'

I think that wearing a knee brace would only be for protection in an accident, rather than making your knee less reliant on its own stability. If, of course, you're using the brace instead of proper conditioning of your quads and other thigh muscles, then that's a bad thing. But with proper conditioning and exercise, the brace as an add-on itself should not compromise the strength of the knee - it's only there to take the strain off your ACL and colateral ligaments and hopefully stop them rupturing should you fall badly.

The ski-mojo is a different issue, I guess. By taking some weight off your quads whilst skiing, it may lead to weaker quads. So if you're planning to use a ski-mojo, then I reckon you must make sure you do the usual pre-ski exercises and not substitute the mojo for proper muscle conditioning.
snow report
bobmcstuff wrote:
I'm tempted to get some for this year's trip, despite not having proper knee problems. My mate wears them on both knees despite only having problems in one and seems to think they're good.

Would be interested to hear other people's opinions.

I'd post an obligatiry facepalm right here but some people complain about data download etc.

So for those people, here's a special gift:-

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think they're similar at all... Because when wearing a seatbelt you're not giving your muscles any noticeable support... rolling eyes
latest report
homers double, just wanted to know if they did anything... Been well paranoid about it since my mate did his in.
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
I don't think they're similar at all... Because when wearing a seatbelt you're not giving your muscles any noticeable support... rolling eyes

But Timmaah, a brace (not a mojo) shouldn't be giving the muscles any noticeable support at all!

A hinged brace like this:

does not support any muscles. Its function is to allow the knee to flex and extend in one plane only, and prevent twisting at the knee joint or forward and backward movement of the femur on the tibia (ie strains on the cruciate ligaments) or sideways bending of the knee (strains on the colaterals).

If you feel that such a brace is giving you muscular support, it's probably a placebo effect.
ski holidays
I've had 2 ACL recons on my right knee- different Drs and PTs seem to have differing views on the subject, so it is not surprising that most of us are confused. I never wore a knee brace after my first surgery and don't know if a brace would have helped prevent the 2nd. I plan to wear a brace this year although my PT seemed to think that it affect your ~ perception (she had a different but similar word- perio...?).

Randomsabreur, I read a paper that said high backed ski boots lowered the number of ankle injuries, but increased the number of knees. It said that Lange(?) tried to sell a high backed boot that had a rearward release (to avoid the levering effect which is one of the big causes of ACLs), but that they discontinued it after low sales.

Another possible form of prevention that has been talked about (positively and negatively) on Epic is the KneeBinding- they add a diagonal heel release point to the inside that other bindings do not have and claim that it should help prevent 70% of ACL injuries. This may or may not have helped in the type of falls I had, but I will likely pick up a set for my next pair of skis if the reviews stay positive.

While not claiming to prevent knee injuries, one of the Stedman-Hawkins guys has developed and is selling some compression tights that have some ribbing and are suppose to help align the knees better to reduce wear and tear. http://www.opedix.com/ski-board-tights/
ski holidays
Timmaah,
Quote:

+1
snow report
mfamily2 wrote:
Timmaah,
Quote:

+1

I understand that the strength of the knee is about more than just the muscles and wearing a brace all the time might mean that your knee is not as strong when you don't have it on, BUT what do you think about doing regular conditioning and moderate activities which put forces on the knee that will help to strengthen it WITHOUT the brace while only using the brace during HIGH RISK activities like skiing, football, etc.
latest report
MEfree30, Sorry, but my very limited expertise on the subject stems from a conversation with an Australian ski instructor in Val D'isere who was adamant that wearing a brace made the knee muscles lazy and increased the chances of injury. I would have thought that the very action of skiing with a perfectly good knee would further strengthen the muscles in tune with that particular exercise. Again it's my view and not based on any actual medical expertise. having said that my highly qualified GP advises me against running as it damages the joints. I have ignored this advice for years and feel great.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy