Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Skis - intermediate (I think)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I've trawled the message boards on here, and think I'm pretty close to knowing what I should do in terms of buying my first pair of boots (don't buy second hand, get them fitted properly and buy some I can ski on both now, AND as my 'skill' develops), but I'm no closer to choosing a pair of skis.

I have skiied on hire skis for the last 3 years and I want to buy, because I skied 16 days last year, and plan on doing about the same this year, and think my own pair would be a worthy investment. I am 6'4" and weigh 101kg. I have skiied mainly on piste, but did a day off piste in NZ in Sept (and loved it!). In Europe I have hired K2 Apaches, and loved them, in NZ I had a pair of 181cm K2 Rictors which worked brilliantly for me both on and off piste.

What I would like, is a ski that I can buy now, and will be relativley forgiving of my intermediate status, but will reward me as I develop, and that I can ski 70% on piste and 30% off. My previous experience would suggest that I just buy the Rictors, but does anybody have any advice on other brands / models I should try before I commit a hefty chunk of cash?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LukeRibs,

If you like what you have skiied then that's a pretty good start!

The only thing I would say is don't rule out some slightly fatter all mountain skis like the Scott Missions or even something like Armada ARV's. Slightly more 'all mountain' than what you have tried, but all ski well enough on hard pack and groomed piste!

Remember that twin tip skis have a little less ski touching the snow due to the tips, so a little longer would be ideal.

JTF
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rictors are fun.
I skied them for a few hours in 160cm last season and they were awesome fun but a bit short for me at 5'8", so I'd echo Jimmythefoot about going a bit long.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/Z3hWs2Pao4A&feature=player_detailpage
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Guys - really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Even more choices to make now! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just Incase anyone's interested, I invested £229 in a pair of Élan wave flex 8 skis from the ski warehouse in Cas this afternoon and took them for a blast in the fridge. Great skis - great service. I wil be going back there!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have Rictors and they really are great ski's. Can recommend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy