Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is ski commentating really hard?

Poster: A snowHead
I've noticed over several years that ski racing commentators are very poor at predicting the racers' speeds based on the camera footage. Typical comment is "beautiful turns on the top section, well set up for the glide phase" followed by a split time where it's revealed that the skier's dropped a second on the top section, and are slowest of anyone through the speed gun. Even Chemmy (who rarely makes a prediction, but does occasionally) gets it wrong moderately often.

Is it because it's basically very difficult to see how fast someone is, and what, then, is the implication for race coaching?

For extra marks, we know that racers themselves sometimes think "what a great run" only to find out they were skidding/squeezing every turn by a few mm, and ended up really slow (see TJ's recent post). Is this the same phenomenon?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
awf, Is it because it's basically very difficult to see how fast someone is? Particularly if you are sitting in a studio in Paris watching the same thing you are.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Even watching recreational skiers it's hard to spot some things until you can look in slo-mo and frame by frame. I think it's nigh on impossible to do this with racers unless the differences (such as a new line through a turn, or a big mistake) are obvious. Plus the pressure of doing it live. Not an easy job if you are expected to call the performance before the clock gives you its verdict.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For normal commentators without much of racing/coaching background, it's impossible. For those guys who were top racers/coaches themself, it's not all that hard, and when you listen to them, you will find out they are most of time pretty much right. But yes, it's still impossible to tell if someone is 0.02sec faster or slower.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh I like this one I am going to go with camera angles and what the commentators are seeing make it difficult to provide accurate feedback.
It is very hard to judge how cleanly someone is gliding when you can not account for the ski prep etc.

To prove the point here was research done recently where a two groups of top FIS coaches from Austria, Canada and Switzerland where asked to analyse racers on the hill using only what their eye and instinct over 3 training runs.

Then the same runs with lots of fancy sensor and digital feedback were analysed by a different group of coaches of the same standard.

The feedback was almost 98% the same between the two groups so given the correct angles and viewing positions top class coaches see an awful lot first time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I watched the recent North American WC races on French Eurosport and the Garmisch World Championships last winter on France Television (FR2, FR3). I felt the commentary was much more accurate than it is on British Eurosport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Difficult to say!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One can end up with the "and errs" as one of the cover for Clarky was disposed to.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Which reminds me, does snow coming out of the skis mean they are not carving? Sometimes they seem to have a mini rooster tail, others just a sideways spray from under the foot.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i'd love to see some real time telemetry mixed in with the footage a'la formula1.

so apart from speed and gps location what else could they do?

edge angle?
boot/ski pressure?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1, Sphincter Clenching.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, lol
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1, so they all need a backpack with a laptop and an aerial on the helmet? Yeah, that'll work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
no, just something the size and weight of a mobile phone really.. Seperate a lot of the components and they could be embedded in the ski, binding, boot.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have met John Clark a number of times and it would seem he would struggle to commentate on someone peeling an orange, the guy makes no sense at the best of times and lord knows who put a mic in his hand and asked him to talk for a living.
snow conditions
davidhammy, How do you mean? He'd struggle to commentate based on a meeting with him ? Don't quite get you.
I've never met him but I've heard him a lot and do quite like listening to him on Eurosport.
snow report
rob@rar, i'm interested to see how you plan on measuring sphincter clenching...
snow conditions
davidhammy wrote:
I have met John Clark a number of times and it would seem he would struggle to commentate on someone peeling an orange,

That made me laugh! Laughing But I do agree. I'm sure he's a lovely chap but he does talk a load of drivel.
snow conditions
maggi, I think you'll find most of the drivel pours out of Nic Fellowes mouth and Clarkey has to cover up for him. I quite like the Chemmy & Matt Chilton duo though. I think she brings a freshness and different aspect based on real experience. But to be honest, none of the British commentators are much cop compared to the expert analysis I get from the German and Austrian commentators.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
maggi, I think you'll find most of the drivel pours out of Nic Fellowes mouth and Clarkey has to cover up for him.

Sorry, but I think they cover up for each other. And neither admit when they're wrong. If someone says, "Clearly, he was faster than anyone else" when he wasn't rolling eyes (the time came up to show he was slower), a little bit of humour, (ie "Clearly, I am not right every time .. ha, ha.) or some other such phrase would make me respect him more. The other one should then take the mick a little. No point in having 2 commentators unless they bounce a little banter off each other. Have you ever watched ice skating on Eurosport? Can't remember who it is (Robin Cousins, I think, with someone who's name escapes me). Now they're really funny together and hardly ever agree!
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
i'd love to see some real time telemetry mixed in with the footage a'la formula1.

so apart from speed and gps location what else could they do?

edge angle?
boot/ski pressure?
The motion base camera footage from a few seasons ago was very interesting, it allowed the viewer to see 2 runs directly overlaid on top of each other so you could really see where they were making/losing time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy