Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are they trying to rip me off?

Poster: A snowHead
allright guys?.i have a question to all you ski gods out their.right i have done some research on a new ski and seemed to of found what sounds to fit my criteria.the ski in mention is a elan waveflex 10 what are for sale in austria'ex rental.this is the fishy part i mailed the company with my statistics weight 100kg height 6ft and got a reply within 5 mins.to my surprise they told me they were not for me and tried to sell me the waveflex 14 for 385 euro.the excuse was i was to heavy for this ski.i then replied ok well what about the progressor 7 by fischer and the reply was the same to heavy.ok he may be correct but it was funny that the skis' he mentioned for my stats were from from 385 to 499 euro,i get the feeling hes' trying it now as now the snow is falling' your comments please
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No they are using the art of selling.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah but you dont buy everything people try to sell you do you?
thats called the art of stupidity
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waiter_fisherman, why would you buy ex-rental skis online without ever having seen/tried them? Try some stuff in resort, buy when you've found what you like. You are, frankly, asking to be ripped off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waiter_fisherman, I'm with Lizzard, on this, wait until you get to resort and can try some you may be surprised with what you end up with plus no doubt the postage is upwards of £30 too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ok thanks guys' with my expirience of rentals they seem to throw the rough skis at you and all the nice'new' shiny'skis are just sitting their. can i demand well not demand'you know what i mean to test those shiny new skis as often as i like?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waiter_fisherman, If you don't ask you don't get so no harm. Most shops will let you demo for free (in my experience anyhow) you can always ask if they're looking to off load any surplus stock be this new or nxt to new rental stuff.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waiter_fisherman,

You are the customer, there is normally more than one hire shop in a resort - look at the skis and say "I want to rent these, would you be interested in selling them if they work for me and how much are we talking, how much discount do I get, how much of the rental costs are you prepared to knock off the purchase price?"

Your response could include phrases such as "Oh I don't know (insert name of another rental shop in the resort here) offered me a better deal on the same ski can't you do any better"

I normally ask the guy if it's OK that I look at the skis myself and get in amongst the hire racks but best to do this in the middle of the day when the shop is quiet rather than rush hour when they are taking in / giving out masses of skis.

You might also find it cheaper renting skis one season until you find the skis that suit you and then buying them new at a discounted price when they change the graphics and bring out the new model.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not disagreeing with other posters, but I have heard that the 14 is a pretty stiff ski suited for heavier skiers- not saying that it is right for you, but I don't think they were necessarily trying to rip you off by pointing you in that direction.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
waiter_fisherman, with Lizzard ex rental stuff, if it is? Will have rental bindings which are heavier, good for selling skis on, but about 25% more expensive than a non rental; skis in EU are higher priced than in UK. Some rental stock are seconds or last seasons close out, i.e. season before colour. By all means buy secondhand but see them in the flesh if you are paying that sort of money or at least be in the same country. No ski ex rental unless a race slalom or expensive powder ski is worth more than £200 and the import and the binding kill it. The Elan importer sells a world cup slalom ski with a slalom binding for about £420 all in ; so probably he will have your ski at a very good price new, I will try to find his number for you which is in my car somewhere if you are interested in Elan?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WDF are you contemplating spending the thick end of £400 on ex rentals - £200 should get you a reasonable second hand ski if you're not stupid unless you're on a personal mission to bail out the Eurozone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waiter_fisherman, You can't be serious. Used skis are fine from a good home but ex-rental skis for 400 euros?

Also, are you trying to wind-up Pedantica.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
defo try before you buy, most ski hire shops now have the latest skis, which you do have to pay a premium for, if you where interested in buying the hire skis more than likely they will say NO as they make so much money on hireing skis (plus they wouldnt give you a deal on hire skis unless a couple of years old), if they order a new pair for you then usually a good shop will let you off the days renting and trying different pairs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jzBun wrote:
Also, are you trying to wind-up Pedantica.

We've had this out before. English is this guy's second language.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jzBun, I was assuming those prices were for new, not ex-rental. You wouldn't pay more than 200€ absolute max for second hand skis here.
latest report
Cynic, yes that would be great cynic if you could get me that number for the elan importer
latest report
waiter_fisherman, http://www.elanskisales.co.uk/
snow conditions
waiter_fisherman, Speak to Keith on the phone say a racer from the Southern circuit recommended to contact him 01634 829024 and see if he can do a special deal for Christmas?
ski holidays
Cynic, spot on dude he laughed and asked who you were.he was on his way out so he is going to talk to me tomorrow.as for price well what can i say a christmas prezzie in the making thanks again cynic... merry christmas Cool Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy