Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help / Advice Needed - Change of Esprit Family Trip Needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Could do with some advice as my brain has turned to mush and I don't seem to be able to make a decision.

Due to a number of reasons (mainly a very close family bereavement - my mum), we are looking to change our skiing holiday plans for next year to possibly attend a memorial service abroad with other members of our family, and don't want to be stuck trying to change plans last minute.

We had originally booked a week from 1st April to Tignes with Ski Esprit (been with them before, like the format / staff / child care etc), and are now looking to change to February. I've read many of the discussions on here about avoiding UK half-term and February in general but this looks like the only only time we definitely have available. My children at least miss the UK half-term breaking up on the 17th February, but not sure how busy the rest of the month will be. I've spoken with Esprit and they are happy to change our booking and have availability at a number of their chalets / chalet hotels.

SO basically the question is where should we head for?

Is it best to avoid the big French resorts ADH / Meribel / Val D etc at this time, or would they be manageable? Or do we head elsewhere - Like the sound of Chalet Marta in Selva but a couple of not great reviews on here, Obergurgel and Chalet Alpenblume? Or head to Saas Fee where we've been before and know what to expect, and just except the bad exchange rate etc. Other resorts???

A little back ground info if requried -

Me: 5 - 6 weeks skiing under the belt, happy on most pistes and a bit of off piste.
Mrs Reded: Basically a beginner (did 1 week about 5 years ago but tweaked knee on 3rd day)
Little Reded's: 8 year old girl and 5 year old boy both into their 2nd week of skiing.

Hope someone can help as I've completely lost the ability to make a decision - happy for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have been with Snowbizz, to Puy St Vincent the last few years. I think they would suit you - currently they have free child places available from 19th feb if you fly from london. You can have a catered option (they offer self-catering flats) and their childcare is fantastic.

The slopes would really suit your family - if you are looking for off-piste you can book a guide and go visit the national park. A lot of parents seem to have lessons to improve their technique, so the higher groups often do exciting stuff, and your wife could have classes with similar ability people.

It is not a big resort but therefore very nice for families as children can't get too lost.

However if you have to go with esprit, I'd go for sass fee. (but it will be cold).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
reded78, that week is one of the Paris weeks - so will be the busiest of the year in many French resorts, even small ones (our apartment will be sitting idle that week - just far too busy).

Personally, I'd go for Selva or one of the other non-French resorts, for that week.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys - grey, I really need to go with Esprit in order to not lose the deposit.

pam w, like the sound of Selva and Italy in general, just one or two of the reviews slightly put me off. Probably a toss up then between Selva and Obergurgl
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first thoughts would be to see what Esprit have available as that may limit your choice. Once you know when and where you can go it will help to make your decision.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I checked yesterday - they have space at pretty much all of their chalet hotels bar La Plagne, and many of their chalets are available. I was just specifically looking at Selva and Obergurgl in order to try and avoid France for the February crowds.

Anybody thoughts on the 2 options in Austria or Italy???
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bump
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bump
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reded78 wrote:
I checked yesterday - they have space at pretty much all of their chalet hotels bar La Plagne, and many of their chalets are available. I was just specifically looking at Selva and Obergurgl in order to try and avoid France for the February crowds.

Anybody thoughts on the 2 options in Austria or Italy???

Dont go to france, to busy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
reded78, Austria will potentially be busy as it's Dutch half term week
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm getting the feeling everywhere is busy yo a certain degree in Feb?

It will be my 1st time going in February - to be honest though I've got a nice quiet lads trip coming up in January so will get plenty of skiing in there, more interested in ensuring I pick the right resort for the wife and kids than me enjoying empty pistes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm getting the feeling everywhere is busy yo a certain degree in Feb?

It will be my 1st time going in February - to be honest though I've got a nice quiet lads trip coming up in January so will get plenty of skiing in there, more interested in ensuring I pick the right resort for the wife and kids than me enjoying empty pistes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not been to Obergurgl, so can't really comment on it. On the other hand, I think Selva would offer you plenty. It has wonderful scenery and a brilliant range of runs including the (to me anyway) challenging Saslong. Most of the skiing there is on nice wooded slopes with some nice bars etc. Plenty of options for all levels.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78, If you can get in the Hotel Crystal 2000 in Courchevel 1850 then I would recommend it, even in holiday weeks. The location is excellent, lovely staff and rooms are good, but not exceptional.

You are right next to a chair and drag lift (Pralong Chair and Altiport drag) , which even in busy times are acceptably quiet, plus you have very quick and easy access to 1650 (one drag and then a track down).You can be there in 15 minutes from the first drag and you'll miss most of the early crowds.

Low intermediates or advanced beginners (oxymoron?) could spend a lot of time on the Pralong Chair and associated runs, plus there is the courche niege restaurant just across the slopes which does a nice lunch.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have skied in the Sella Ronda area frequently and as my wife works in education we have to ski half term and to be honest I've never found it that busy
ski holidays
reded78, I stopped at Marta in Selva in January with my daughter and really enjoyed it.

Ski are was great and access to the slopes was easy from Marta although a little convoluted to get to the main lifts (2 or 3 short drags).

As others have said a really beautiful area, certainly will be going back.

Marta worked well in the Ski Esprit model but the evening cocoa club was in anther chalet but it wasn't really a problem. Nice lounge and dining room - food was really good last season but I'm sure it will be a completely different team this year. I tried to book again for this year but didn't have the room we needed so going with them to Meribel in 4 weeks Very Happy

Hope this helps
latest report
reded78, I think I remember there being some good stuff on here somewhere regarding Esprit in Obergurgl............try the search function ??

I've been to Obergurgl with them (admittedly in March), stayed in the Alpenblume....all in all, a great trip........
snow conditions
DH and DD went with Esprit to Selva a few years ago and enjoyed it. Not the same chalet as the one you mentioned though. DH said he thought the skiing was a bit limited, but he's been skiing 20+ years and unless theres loads of steep, scary blacks and good off piste then its not ideal for him. There looks plenty to do on the piste map.

I've been with Esprit to I think every resort they do in France apart from Meribel. I would go back to any of them apart from La Plagne as I hated their big hotel there. Courcheval is lovely, La Rosiere sounds like it would be good for you. The hotel at Val d'isere is nice. I seem to rememebr at Tignes it was a bit of a walk to the main lifts from the chalet. Plan Peisey is really nice.

I've never been skiing in Feb so no idea how much busier it is.
latest report
Stayed in Chalet Marta with Esprit a number of years ago and it was OK - not much lounge area for the size of chalet though. Biggest downside of Selva is that there are very limited number of runs local to the chalet that beginners or near beginners can do and we ended up taking taxi to other parts of the Sella Ronda (sorry can't remember where) that our youngster was able to ski more easily in the afternoon.
snow report
We have been to the Verwall chalet in Obergurgl for the past two years with parametres similar to yours. The whole set up was perfect for us as a group with the boot room 50m from the ski school meeting point and nursery slopes for the kids. Lessons very good for the kids as they have plenty of good english speaking instructors. The Festkogel gondala is at the Verwall end of town too for when the kids progress and you can ski back to the nursery slope via a long blue and some pushing.

Chalet is not luxury but was fine to me. Other stuff largely dependent on the quality of the chalet staff and other punters -we were lucky on both counts.

Any specific questions, do ask.
snow report
Hi all, and many thanks for the responses. Think I've made the decision to go for Obergurgl (although annoyingly the last suite has just been reserved! grrrr) based on the above comments and my own research. As much as anything, the fact that the ski school meeting point is so close could be the deal breaker as my wife's 1 and only experience of skiing was in ADH a few years ago and the combination of ski bus and trug to the slopes in the morning with kids and gear in tow was just about enough to put her off for good.

Blastfromthepast, no doubt I'll find out later when I speak to Esprit again, but what airport did you fly into? How long was the transfer? Any other tips and recommendations for Obergurgl (I love the sound of that!) much appreciated.
latest report
reded78, have fun!
latest report
IF you do decide to change your mind and go with ansta1 recommendation for Crsytal 2000 in Courcheval we also stayed there last season and it was brilliant, we also found it worked out cheaper staying their and having 2 interconnecting rooms for the family rather than a family suite elsewhere which on first glance appeared cheaper. Being a Chalet Hotel everything is in house and I really couldn't fault them or their service even with the teething trouble they were having being a new hotel to them and the first week in. The hot water failed and so they heated up catering sized pans of hot water and carried it up to your rooms for the time you asked so that you could bath your kids, not only that they were jolly while doing it and took the time to joke and chat with my daughter.

Just comparing the the resorts you have focused on I prefer Selva over Obergurgl and at that time of year height shouldn't be an issue (we went to Obergurgl mid Dec when being high made a big difference). However I didn't go to either of them with Esprit (it was before we had kids) so can't make any comment about their specific accomodation there.

For both I would expect (but don't know) them to fly into Innsbruck. Certiainly we did when we went to both resorts and transfer time to both was about 1hr.

Good luck and feed back how it goes, as I fully intend to go with them again.
ski holidays
Will reconsider Crystal 2000 - just a bit put off about the potential crowds in February. Looking at the brochure it doesn't seem to make clear how far the ski school meeting points are from the hotel. Can you shed any light?

Does look very nice though!!!
snow report
We were there in feb 2011 as I said earlier crowds are not bad particularly if you are avoidind the lifts to get you across into the other valleys. Children are met by ski school at hotel, if your school meeting point is La croisette the its one drag lift and a run straight into village centre which is a nice way to warm the legs up. It is fantastic location wise you will not be dissapointed. We are back there in just over 3 weeks.
snow report
reded78, we flew to Innsbruck. Coach transfer was about 90 mins. Tips for Obergurgl

Nederhutte -live music 3 afternoon a week, ski back under lights (or they give you a lift back on a skidoo)
David's hut for chalet staff night off -again they had a cheesey Austrian band on
View from the Mountain Star in Hochgurgl
Good food at Hohe Mut (and again great views)
Night skiing 6km route a couple of times per week (can be a tad cold)
Ski show was great for the kids last year
latest report
Hi all quick update - tried to book Obergurgl but the last suite had been taken for that date (19th February), and because of youngest childs age we really need to all be in 1 room.

Having been through all of Esprits availability for that week the decision is down to Tignes Chalet Corniche, Saas Fee in the Chalet Hotel Annahof or La Rosiere or St Anton with a couple of options. Not sure if anyone has any advice or thoughts on the above to impart but I think I'll book either Tignes or Saas Fee in the morning.
ski holidays
reded78, why? I assume he sleeps in his own room at home? If you're worried about him, borrow a baby monitor thing so you can hear him if he wakes. As you will be in a chalet, I don't see what the problem is TBH.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annahof was a nice hotel with lovely rooms and very close to the piste and lifts but I did find the ski area a limiting; huge vertical but only 1 or 2 ways down. La Ros is a quiet resort but more skiing but possible a little less chellenging, not night life to speak of but as an Esprit client you probably won;t need much! St Anton, not stopped with Esprit but did stop in the Pepi Garbl a few years ago before it was Esprit, a nice very convienent hotel right next to the slopes, but I would say more of a resort for adults. Tignes, not stopped in any of the current Esprit chalets but more than enough skiing for anyone; a personal favourite.

I know none of this helps on the rooms front but hope it helps in your choice of resort.
snow report
La Rod, nuff said.
latest report
Hells Bells, it's not specifically a safety aspect or anything (don;t want to be one of those people as mentioned on another post!), more just the family being together in one room for sorting out all the bits and pieces in the morning and at night etc. Would feel a little odd split between 2 rooms that aren't even interconnected. I know we won't actually be in the room that much be me misses would prefer us all to be together.

stevew, yeah we did the Annahof in March this year and really enjoyed it, and according to the website they have also updated carpets / bar and and dining room furniture etc. Did enjoy the skiing but as you say can be a bit limiting. Have done to short breaks to the Tignes (one glacier only), and to be honest feel like I'ive only scratched the surface. If it wasn;t for the warnings of French resorts / February / big queues etc I would definitely book Tignes, but think Saas Fee might not be quite as busy!
latest report
reded78, it's a good opportunity to get your kids to start taking responsilbilty for their own stuff then wink. You will have more overall space I suspect than in a family suite too.
snow report
Hells Bells, I'm sure you're right but I know the misses would feel more comfortable in 1 room, especially with our "adventurous" 5 year old. It would end up with 1 adult sleeping in each room! To be honest not sure I'd be totally happy with it either - wouldnt feel right with the 2 of them in a separate room.

The other plus of the accommodation in Tignes over SAas Fee is that they have a suite available over a quad room in Saas Fee.
snow conditions
reded78, i am in the same boat as you, the OH likes the children to be in the same walls so to speak. I can see where she is coming from and agree on some points but not all, still......

given the challenges you have find the resort that fits your needs in the best way then book it. Get out in the Sun and Snow and have some family time. You deserve it.
snow report
One advantage of the Espace Killy is a superb lift system which can absorb huge numbers - with local advice you can avoid some of the worst bottlenecks. Much as I love our small French ski area, where we can mostly ski without any lift queues at all, I have to admit that the EK copes with big crowds better! There are some Tignes locals on SHs who would be able to give you detailed advice on February crowds.

Of course a good way to avoid the worst of the queues is to be in a ski class.
snow report
pam w, that's it decision made. Tignes and Chelt Corniche it is! Many thanks you've helped me to finally make my decision. As such I'll be in touch for compensation if the chalet / snow / queues / food / lessons / other clientele are not up to scratch wink
ski holidays
Quote:

As such I'll be in touch for compensation if the chalet / snow / queues / food / lessons / other clientele are not up to scratch

Laughing You'll get plenty of advice about what times/places to avoid - generally, if you're not in a ski school class, you definitely want to avoid some of the main lifts just when they're getting going. Lunchtime is a good time to ski - but not a good time to lunch. Get a snack and a break around 11.30, then ski through lunchtime. Here, the worst time in the main village is when the afternoon ski lessons start - that's a good time to be away on a more distant part of the domain. And finish early - queues to get back to base towards the end of the day can be bad.

Have a stupendous holiday.
snow conditions
Thanks pam w, Chalet Charlene booked for the 19th! Your advice sounds good to me, and I think I will probably book myself into some sort of class as my technique could still do with considerable "brushing up". I'll be on here stalking the Tignes / Espace Killy thread getting advice nearer the time.

Thanks all for the contributions - perhaps Austria or Italy next time!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy